2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/9/2013 at 5:45 PM, ADW77 said:
On 11/9/2013 at 5:06 PM, daveindc said:

So just taking the M helmet off of the Dolphin is your idea of upgrade? Plus, the new positioning of the Dolphin looks much better, and not awkward on the helmet. As far as the orange/coral, it doesn't need any more. Aqua/teal has always been the uniform's main color, and what sets it apart from other uniforms. Any more orange on it, and it will just clash with the aqua. It has the perfect amount. There is also plenty of orange coming from the players' gloves and cleats. Overall, these uniforms are very sharp looking, and a joy to look at.

I did more than just take the helmet off, here's a comparison to the current, past, and my logo. Complete with accurate colors for each.

On 11/9/2013 at 5:22 PM, Gothamite said:

That logo needs the helmet, but it's still worlds better than the toothpaste ad they're currently wearing.

I never liked the helmet on the Dolphin, it always bothered me.

I like the current logo. But I would not be surprised if they decide to go back to something inspired by the older logos...glory days vs. crappy days...along with the general dislike of the new logo.

However, I hope they don't just adopt an old iteration of the old logo. For example, I am a big believer that the sun looks a lot better now. The two-sizes of rays make it more evident that it is the sun as opposed to a flaming hoop at Sea World (which is what I thought it was as a kid). I also think leaving the helmet off would be an improvement. In other words, this concept would be a far better direction than just plopping the old logo back on the helmet.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It isn't singling out? I must have missed their events honoring cops, and firefighters, and teachers, and all the other underpaid, under-appreciated heroes that serve our country with honor.

You have a perfect right to like these Beetle Bailey drag events.

And we have a perfect right to find it pandering, exploitative and offensive (how much actually goes to that good cause again?). One step away from war profiteering.

Ain't America grand? ;)

Lol, you're reaching there Lukas. The military is much more broad than BCA month, had you read my post you would have seen my point.

This for the NFL, as far as I know, it's put out there like BCA as a way to RAISE MONEY, but more of a show that we are thinking of the troops and honoring them, and like I said, I and many others find it to be a good gesture.

I don't see how this is pandering as much, as there are plenty of people who never served who support the military and want to show their support in various ways. So this appeals to alot more than just vets.

America is grand, no stupid face needed. I believe it.

I know I am a bit late to this party but...but...but I am still gonna post.

While your Lukas hate is silly and my general politics/persona are much more like Goth's than yours, I tend to agree that this is a nice tribute. The breast cancer awareness is too long and too loud. What I really like here is that it does not go on forever and that it's on the sideline. I can be as cynical as anyone about this stuff (or anything; I love to be cynical) but for me, I feel like this was a tribute done fairly tastefully as opposed to just constantly throwing it in my face. It is done around Veterans' day, as well.

I've been asked about this stuff "why would we not be patriotic when given the opportunity?" The reason is that we always have the opportunity to be "more patriotic" and that a sporting event at some times has to be just that. We don't have to be reminded of how great America is at all times. That's why dressing both teams up in flag-adorned uniforms, singing God Bless America between every inning, and wearing uniforms like this is overkill. Just because you can do it, does not mean you should do it. There is also an element of political correctness...i.e., almost a fear of not taking it that next step of patriotism...it's not "PC" to just wear your regular uniforms (admittedly, this is an extra political jab...the way the right has co-opted the phrase "PC" as if it's all that different when they get offended).

Anyway, I think this was an illustration of how the NFL really tends to get it right. They had a tribute...nothing more, nothing less. They did it on the sidelines. They did not put it everywhere on the field. They did not dilute their brand (and that's OK). And I really wish they'd take that attitude toward breast cancer awareness and maybe have some pink-billed caps (i.e., keep it on the sideline) for one weekend in OCT. But compared to college with all these flag decals, flag-covered uniforms, camo uniforms, the NFL is doing great. It did not seem like pandering to me. Some of the college stuff totally does. Put something on the sidelines at Veteran's Day and have a nice tribute...but no need to have the uniforms like that head-to-toe (outside of the service academies, perhaps).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Video from Giants equipment director:

http://www.giants.com/videos/videos/Equipped-Giants-new-alternate-white-pants/7711a966-d57b-430b-b916-2b3354ea1365

Hints at permanent change and possible changes to come next year

I am with the equipment manager...bring on the blue pants.

I feel like I'm the only guy who thinks grey really works for the Giants.

Nope... you're not the only one. The Giants current uniform is one of my favorites. In fact, IMO it's about as close to perfect as the NFL has right now.

The gray facemask work good the Giants because of the gray pants. But if they switch next year to the white pants, then the facemask should change as well. (even though gray is a stripe in the pants).

spacer.png

I always found the lack of red in the blue jerseys, and lack of blue in the white jerseys to be MUCH bigger issues for the Giants than the gray pants/facemasks

I always found the lack of red in the blue jerseys, and lack of blue in the white jerseys to be MUCH bigger issues for the Giants than the gray pants/facemasks

I agree. Those white jerseys are especially horrendous without blue.

they need to at least outline the numbers in blue, make the nameplates blue, and have the outside stripes on the sleeves be blue on the away, and pretty much recolor that for homes where blue is the main and white replaces red and red replaces blue.

People today have no respect for history! :D

ya-tittle.jpg

Y.A._Tittle.jpg

history doesn't make up for the look of the jersey not going with anything in their uniforms,

In my opinion, it does. On top of that, I think the quirkiness of the design, the lack of conventional design "wisdom" is exactly what make it so cool. Even if it wasn't the uniform they wore in the glory days of the 50's (which it absolutely is), even if they just came up with it today, the non-logic of it would appeal to me. It's like the lack of gold on the Niners' jersey... some of us like it, some don't.

history doesn't make up for the look of the jersey not going with anything in their uniforms,

In my opinion, it does. On top of that, I think the quirkiness of the design, the lack of conventional design "wisdom" is exactly what make it so cool. Even if it wasn't the uniform they wore in the glory days of the 50's (which it absolutely is), even if they just came up with it today, the non-logic of it would appeal to me. It's like the lack of gold on the Niners' jersey... some of us like it, some don't.

im with you OSV. so much of design from the mid 20th century is flawed, but it's those flaws and oddities that make it likable, distinct, memorable.

that said, i don't think theres actually anything wrong with the Giants' uniform. a lot of people talk about consistency, repetition, and unity through all 4 pieces (helmet, jersey, pants, socks) as if each piece has to do the same thing. that's fine if it's an aesthetic you like, but to do something a bit more unique and special, you need to look at the uniform as a whole. not each piece needs to be treated the same way to achieve visual unity. i think the Giants' uniform does that very well as it is. same with the 49ers

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

5330f_lg.jpeg

Thought these looked great. Never understood why they got rid of these. The ones they wear now should have been throwbacks only.

YES! This is the best road uniform the Giants have ever had for my $ .02

im with you OSV. so much of design from the mid 20th century is flawed, but it's those flaws and oddities that make it likable, distinct, memorable.

that said, i don't think theres actually anything wrong with the Giants' uniform. a lot of people talk about consistency, repetition, and unity through all 4 pieces (helmet, jersey, pants, socks) as if each piece has to do the same thing. that's fine if it's an aesthetic you like, but to do something a bit more unique and special, you need to look at the uniform as a whole. not each piece needs to be treated the same way to achieve visual unity. i think the Giants' uniform does that very well as it is. same with the 49ers

Right. Consistency, repetition, unity... these are obviously all design principles, but so are dissidence and variety. Some of my favorite uniforms break the "rules" and that's exactly what I like about them. Like this one...

troy-aikman-ucla.jpg

Helmet.. gold and navy (and gray)

Home Jersey... Sky blue, gold and navy,

Road Jersey... White, navy, gold

Pants... gold.

Every attempt to "clean up" the color inconsistencies in UCLA's uniform has led to a worse uniform IMO.

Archived