2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

my apologies to BgMack. ^ that is actually the definition of boring :D

By the end of that uniform's run those felt so dull and "Generic Red Blue team" I was over the moon when they went back to uniforms with some life in them.

I'm not the biggest fan of their road uniforms, but it's sort of fun to have a team wearing uniforms from a bygone era when home and road uniforms often didn't match each other. Plus, they've won two super bowls wearing that look.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the end of that uniform's run those felt so dull and "Generic Red Blue team" I was over the moon when they went back to uniforms with some life in them.

I'm not the biggest fan of their road uniforms, but it's sort of fun to have a team wearing uniforms from a bygone era when home and road uniforms often didn't match each other. Plus, they've won two super bowls wearing that look.

Exactly. If a team brought out those 80's Giants' uniforms for the first time today, this board would go nuts with countless "high school", "generic", "off the rack" comments.

Exactly. If a team brought out those 80's Giants' uniforms for the first time today, this board would go nuts with countless "high school", "generic", "off the rack" comments.

This board, as a mass, makes no sense when it comes to uniform opinions.

My two cents, I would have the Giants ditch the red, go with two tone blue and gray/silver.

My two cents, I would have the Giants ditch the red, go with two tone blue and gray/silver.

Maybe my sarcasm detector is off but you want them to look like the Cowboys.

Maybe my sarcasm detector is off but you want them to look like the Cowboys.

Nope, it would be a dark navy (like the Bears) and a royal blue (like they have now), and it would be gray and the silver would just be an accent.

Then as for the Cowboys. I would unify the silvers to the bluish silver they have, cut the blue to navy only, and no gray.

Maybe the people who fondle themselves to Nike unveiling photoshops, but I don't think the reaction would be that bad among the people not constantly clamoring for futuristic revamps. To me, the '80s jersey was a lot less generic than their current home jersey. It had stripes and outlines. The current one looks like a practice jersey, in comparison.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The real problem with the '80s Giants jerseys was how similar they were to the Bills. I end up liking that sort of red/white/blue balance better for the Bills, whereas I like the neo-retro stuff for the Giants -- at least at home. There has to be more blue on the road, whether that's blue socks or blue stripes or something.

I guess the way I'd put it is that charter-team biggest-city New York looks best with uber-simplicity, while AFL-team rust-belt-city Buffalo looks best with developed simplicity, if that makes any sense at all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

history doesn't make up for the look of the jersey not going with anything in their uniforms,

In my opinion, it does. On top of that, I think the quirkiness of the design, the lack of conventional design "wisdom" is exactly what make it so cool. Even if it wasn't the uniform they wore in the glory days of the 50's (which it absolutely is), even if they just came up with it today, the non-logic of it would appeal to me. It's like the lack of gold on the Niners' jersey... some of us like it, some don't.

I'd be more compelled to agree with you if the Giants had kept that design throughout. But because they decided to integrate red and blue together, I feel they should find a way to continue that. There is a bit of a trend to marginalize one color from jerseys (Red on the Wild Alt, Ole' Miss being like the Giants, the Canucks not putting green on the logo or numbers, etc.) and I am not fond of it. Of course, I am one that would LOVE to see gold outlines on the Niner's numbers (you know, between ignoring it and the over-the-top 90s).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Nah, single-layer is fine because the pants are gold. Same deal with the Packers. I wouldn't want gold outlines on their numbers, either.

I agree, but the Packers have yellow in their sleeve stripes and collars. When a fan wears a 49ers jersey it's just red and white. The 49ers ought to add some gold to those sleeve stripes. They ought to make all three of the stripes visible too, but that's a different discussion.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The major issue with the giants uniforms of the 80s was the royal jersey, navy helmet mess. Granted, The Rams and Vikings were also plagued with this. But count me in for liking the current iteration best. I'd go so far as to say they should add the Northwestern stripes to the home.

Maybe the people who fondle themselves to Nike unveiling photoshops, but I don't think the reaction would be that bad among the people not constantly clamoring for futuristic revamps. To me, the '80s jersey was a lot less generic than their current home jersey. It had stripes and outlines. The current one looks like a practice jersey, in comparison.

really? i think the 80s jersey is easily the more generic. it's the archetype football design. block font with a single outline, striped collar, striped sleeves, and red/white/blue. the current jerseys are simpler but there is much more personality to them. i don't see a home practice jersey (maybe if it were old mesh and screen printed numbers) but something that is unique amongst NFL designs and timeless

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

really? i think the 80s jersey is easily the more generic. it's the archetype football design. block font with a single outline, striped collar, striped sleeves, and red/white/blue. the current jerseys are simpler but there is much more personality to them. i don't see a home practice jersey (maybe if it were old mesh and screen printed numbers) but something that is unique amongst NFL designs and timeless

Yeah their old ones looked like they belonged on the box for fudge pops. Their current ones look classy.

The titans looked great tonight! Should be their primary home option.

I am not a huge fan of the '80s set, but I don't find it nearly as generic as so many others seem to. Also, I don't hate the current set. I love the road set, and I think the home jersey would be a lot better if it wasn't made of faded-t-shirt-looking fabric.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived