2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you're saying the whole "they don't make those models anymore" line is bull? I never had reason to doubt it, and just assumed a few guys had been wearing the same helmets for multiple years.

Helmets have to be recertified every year and unless you're a kicker or maybe some other skill position that has minima contact (backup qb), a nfl player is going to go through at least one shell a season. Given that there are still a handful of rb/lb's in the league there is no way in hell that teams are just sitting on old stock. Most likely these older models are made sparingly on a special order basis, but they are still being made for grandfathered nfl players only.

plastidip...$6 bucks a can at home depot Ive had it on my car for about 6 months now no chips or scratches

well i doubt you are running your car head on into things like football players do to their helmets, there would definitely need to be some testing of it.

He might be a professional bumper-car racer for all you know.

Nike will influence the NFL to change the helmet rule. As long as the NFL can implement a forced "week of practice" with the new helmet then they should be good to go. I'm not football player so I don't know how long it takes to get a helmet fit. Maybe they can wear them during training camp as well to get it to 'fit".

Nike doesn't make helmets. Therefore, your assertion is highly doubtful.

Money talks. Nike could pull off some crazy uniforms if the helmet rule wasn't preventing it from occuring.

plastidip...$6 bucks a can at home depot Ive had it on my car for about 6 months now no chips or scratches

well i doubt you are running your car head on into things like football players do to their helmets, there would definitely need to be some testing of it.

Nike will influence the NFL to change the helmet rule. As long as the NFL can implement a forced "week of practice" with the new helmet then they should be good to go. I'm not football player so I don't know how long it takes to get a helmet fit. Maybe they can wear them during training camp as well to get it to 'fit".

Money talks. Nike could pull off some crazy uniforms if the helmet rule wasn't preventing it from occuring.

I'm pretty sure Nike doesn't need to change the helmet to come up with a really crappy "pro-combat" jersey and pants combo. It's really the jersey that the NFL and Nike make money off. They don't sell helmets and pants to the average fan.

I'm pretty sure Nike doesn't need to change the helmet to come up with a really crappy "pro-combat" jersey and pants combo. It's really the jersey that the NFL and Nike make money off. They don't sell helmets and pants to the average fan.

its not about selling the helmets, it's about creating helmet to go with the jersey that they will be selling, a fan might be more likely to buy the jersey if the whole uniform is different versus just a recolored primary or whatever

The Dolphins have been in the news recently for bad reasons, but seeing them on TV a lot has really made me realize how great their uniform update was. ESPN and other places have been showing footage from last and this season, and in comparison the old set was cluttered and disjointed and bad. The new uniforms are sleek, clean, and uncluttered.

At least the Dolphins did one thing right.

...And that one thing is the new shade of aqua. The new shade of orange, the continued use of blue, the razor-thin orange outlines, the logo, the font, the tramp stamp, the stripes, and pretty much everything else about the look blows. But the new aqua is nice, though.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Dolphins have been in the news recently for bad reasons, but seeing them on TV a lot has really made me realize how great their uniform update was. ESPN and other places have been showing footage from last and this season, and in comparison the old set was cluttered and disjointed and bad. The new uniforms are sleek, clean, and uncluttered.

Huh? I have to fully disagree.

I am baffled that people like these hideous halloween costumes, not to mention that horrid new ink stain they call a logo. The colors were obviously never tested for tv broadcast because no matter where I watch them the color is eye bleeding.

I also figured out this is a love hate uniform. You either love it or hate it. Some people like hideous arena usfl uniforms... Thats their call.

chris_creamer_siggy.png

Please do not fool yourself, the Buccaneers jersey is conceptually and creatively an abomination. Read the "FANFARE" Here...

How were they disjointed?

...And that one thing is the new shade of aqua. The new shade of orange, the continued use of blue, the razor-thin orange outlines, the logo, the font, the tramp stamp, the stripes, and pretty much everything else about the look blows. But the new aqua is nice, though.

Don't forget the stupidly small sleeve logos...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Agreed 100%. They definitely got this design right. It will take some people who liked the old design to get used to it, obviously.

The only part of the design the Dolphins got right is the new shade of aqua, it's beautiful.

• The logo is lame and just terrible, especially for a professional sports team.
  • The orange is too bright and underutilized.
  • The blue, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I like that they ditch the navy, but I think the blue should be different, but kept nonetheless.
  • The uniforms aren't good. They're too boring and plain. It's better than what the Jags or Seahawks did, but still.

Here's my take on the logo and colors.

DolphinsPrimary2.png

So just taking the M helmet off of the Dolphin is your idea of upgrade? Plus, the new positioning of the Dolphin looks much better, and not awkward on the helmet. As far as the orange/coral, it doesn't need any more. Aqua/teal has always been the uniform's main color, and what sets it apart from other uniforms. Any more orange on it, and it will just clash with the aqua. It has the perfect amount. There is also plenty of orange coming from the players' gloves and cleats. Overall, these uniforms are very sharp looking, and a joy to look at.

So just taking the M helmet off of the Dolphin is your idea of upgrade? Plus, the new positioning of the Dolphin looks much better, and not awkward on the helmet. As far as the orange/coral, it doesn't need any more. Aqua/teal has always been the uniform's main color, and what sets it apart from other uniforms. Any more orange on it, and it will just clash with the aqua. It has the perfect amount. There is also plenty of orange coming from the players' gloves and cleats. Overall, these uniforms are very sharp looking, and a joy to look at.

I did more than just take the helmet off, here's a comparison to the current, past, and my logo. Complete with accurate colors for each.

MIACompLogo.png

That logo needs the helmet, but it's still worlds better than the toothpaste ad they're currently wearing.

I never liked the helmet on the Dolphin, it always bothered me.

I did more than just take the helmet off, here's a comparison to the current, past, and my logo. Complete with accurate colors for each.

MIACompLogo.png

That logo needs the helmet, but it's still worlds better than the toothpaste ad they're currently wearing.

I never liked the helmet on the Dolphin, it always bothered me.

Not to be an ass, but you didn't really do a whole lot other than remove the helmet and alter the colors. Yes, some of the strokes on the dolphin are different, the snout is squared off and expression upturned to look meaner, and you made the fins pointy; but those are fairly minor changes (and not necessarily improvements).

Things that were changed can be pointed to, but that's true of pretty much every logo revision. This is really just plagiarizing the 90s revision, changing the colors to match, removing the helmet, adding some strokes (most of which make the dolphin look less anatomically correct/awkward - i.e. the stroke mid-back in the direction of the head), and slapping it over the sun. I know there was work involved in doing that, but that doesn't really make it "your" work.

Sorry if that sounds snobby, but it's just kind of a lazy reimagining to take credit for - even the posture of the dolphin is pretty much exactly the same.

Archived