2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correction: It's a 90's-ization of the look.

So you're saying that the Bucs, Eagles, Patriots, Broncos logos(which are really good) aren't good because they're from the same time? They all replaced an outdated hand-drawn logo with a modern logo done on the computer.

On the computer? I gaurantee you every one of those started as a hand drawn concept. Show me a logo that was desined start to finish on a computer, and 9 out of ten times, I'll show you a crappy logo.

Your challenge: look through Field Theory Sports Branding, Fraser Davidson's online portfolio (well one of them, anyway), and see what you find. He's long been able to go concept to completion entirely on the computer.

Oh and...I'll take the under. B)

Oh, sure, I've seen Davidson's work here a lot, and I agree it's nice. But, first I'd say I'd very surprised to find out that he doesn't draw/sketch/thumbnail his ideas out at some point of the process, and second, if he doesn't then he is one of the exceptions that proves the rule. (That's why I said 9 out of 10)

I teach beginning 2D Design for incoming freshman at a college for art and design, and it is amazing and frustrating how many of these kids come to art school with no ability to draw, and worse, no idea why that's a problem. If your not very careful, the computer becomes a crutch instead of a tool. If you can't visualiize how 3D objects translate into 2D images, and just count on a machine to make that leap for you, you're sunk.

End of grumpy old painter's rant.

Oh I agree. And I have no idea how Fraser does it—dude's just on some other level. That he is even able to sketch out rough ideas in vector is almost otherwordly, much less proceed through the entire progression without touching pencil to sketchpad. But yes, your point remains...without an intimate understanding of the basic principles of drawing, illustration, 2D and 3D principles, most ships would be sunk before they ever pulled up their anchors.

I deal with it myself—I've never been the best sketch artist in the world, but yet and still I still like to try. My main issue deals with lights/shadows in the digital world, as my current project is reminding me. Eventually I'll get it, and Fraser's tutorials—I still have most of them saved—help a great deal.

Anyway, back to the Dolphins... :P

This argument is rediculous. I work with 25 extremely talented designers and every one of them has a different process. You can't tell who started where or if they sketched or didn't just by looking at the logos.

Yes te computer is a tool, but so is a pencil and pad.

The challenge in any design profession has long been whether you use the computer as a crutch or a tool. Good designers use it as a tool, bad designers use it as a crutch. Just as applicable in graphic design as it is to architecture.

dolphins1.jpg?w=642&h=154

I don't understand how anyone with a sense of design can say that the left 3 are the best logos in Dolphins history.

:rolleyes:

The three on the left are outdated illustrations, but that doesn't make the one on the far right any better. The one the have now is, frankly, perfect. It's a great modernization of the classic look.

It has some 90s-ish elements, like the navy shading and the scowling animal face. That being said, it's still a great modernization of the team's original logo.

So you're saying that the Bucs, Eagles, Patriots, Broncos logos(which are really good) aren't good because they're from the same time? They all replaced an outdated hand-drawn logo with a modern logo done on the computer.

On the computer? I gaurantee you every one of those started as a hand drawn concept. Show me a logo that was desined start to finish on a computer, and 9 out of ten times, I'll show you a crappy logo.

Your challenge: look through Field Theory Sports Branding, Fraser Davidson's online portfolio (well one of them, anyway), and see what you find. He's long been able to go concept to completion entirely on the computer.

Oh, sure, I've seen Davidson's work here a lot, and I agree it's nice. But, first I'd say I'd very surprised to find out that he doesn't draw/sketch/thumbnail his ideas out at some point of the process, and second, if he doesn't then he is one of the exceptions that proves the rule. (That's why I said 9 out of 10)

I teach beginning 2D Design for incoming freshman at a college for art and design, and it is amazing and frustrating how many of these kids come to art school with no ability to draw, and worse, no idea why that's a problem. If your not very careful, the computer becomes a crutch instead of a tool. If you can't visualiize how 3D objects translate into 2D images, and just count on a machine to make that leap for you, you're sunk.

Oh I agree. And I have no idea how Fraser does it—dude's just on some other level. That he is even able to sketch out rough ideas in vector is almost otherwordly, much less proceed through the entire progression without touching pencil to sketchpad. But yes, your point remains...without an intimate understanding of the basic principles of drawing, illustration, 2D and 3D principles, most ships would be sunk before they ever pulled up their anchors.

I deal with it myself—I've never been the best sketch artist in the world, but yet and still I still like to try. My main issue deals with lights/shadows in the digital world, as my current project is reminding me. Eventually I'll get it, and Fraser's tutorials—I still have most of them saved—help a great deal.

When I first attended University of Florida as a freshman, I had wanted to do graphic design. I ended up choosing broadcasting because the school said my drawing skills weren't good enough to be allowed that major. I still love graphic design, and I'm very much an ideas person. Unfortunately, I'll never be able to do it for a living.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

This argument is rediculous. I work with 25 extremely talented designers and every one of them has a different process. You can't tell who started where or if they sketched or didn't just by looking at the logos.

Yes te computer is a tool, but so is a pencil and pad.

I don't think either of us is arguing otherwise—as a matter of fact I don't think either of is is "arguing" at all (unless I'm misinterpreting your use of "argument").

We all know different people have different ways of doing things. Fraser has detailed before one of his processes here before, in a tutorial thread buried somewhere in the Concepts forum, and in there I remember him mentioning that he could do all his sketching and roughing right on the computer. I don't recall him saying he does that 100% of the time, though, maybe he does. Only way to know for sure is to ask him. Of course, dude's almost otherwordly in his ability to create stuff to, so there is that.

Ultimately, as others have noted, they're all tools of the trade. Some use every tool in the box; some don't. End of the day, that's all it is.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

More directed at old school saying logos designed solely on the computer are crap. That's rediculous. There are just as many crapy logos designed with pencil and pad and plenty of talented designers use the computer programs exclusively.

I can not draw that well & never do it on paper before I do any of my logos that being said mine may not be very good either.

I just do it because I like it though & believe if you have a talent you can use any tool available to do it.

I have always been one though to have an idea in my head & not have to put something on paper just to make it work.

When I first attended University of Florida as a freshman, I had wanted to do graphic design. I ended up choosing broadcasting because the school said my drawing skills weren't good enough to be allowed that major. I still love graphic design, and I'm very much an ideas person. Unfortunately, I'll never be able to do it for a living.

Don't let anyone tell you what you can and can not do. You truly can do anything you set your mind too. You can go as far as you want to do.

If you want to practice law you can. Just depends on your commitment.

Commit a crime and serve as your own attorney.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Yes, the tail swoops. However, it still sticks out farther than the nose. If you can't see that the far tip of the tail is further from the outside of the sun than the nose is, I don't know what to tell you.

So are 3 of the other logos, are they not centered ?

I see what you are saying. On the currently logo, the sun is offset up and to the left, almost like a drop shadow going up. The nose sticks out past the sun approximately the same distance the sun sticks out past the tail. Also, the contour of the sun follows the dolphin's back, so the sun works really well in that respect. Nothing throws the logo off. The shape of the dolphin helps make the most use of the space the logo has. However, on the proposed version, 1) it is too horizontal with or without the sun, 2) it's too front heavy, with all the weight being on the right, and 3) the tail sticking out so far on the left throws the logo off center when applied to a helmet. And that doesn't even address the fact that I dislike the abstractness and lack of helmet. It's just not a good design.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

More directed at old school saying logos designed solely on the computer are crap. That's rediculous. There are just as many crapy logos designed with pencil and pad and plenty of talented designers use the computer programs exclusively.

This. Listen to guys like Pat. He is immensely talented AND experienced enough to have worked with enough talented people to know there will never be a "correct" way to design, as long as the final product is able to be realized in modern distribution. I have never met a visionary creative that deals in absolutes. Question anyone who does.

The little nubs of sun rays that glimmer between the main rays really bug me. It makes the logo look worse, I think. They should stick with the current sun.

Agreed. I think it's strange to simplify the dolphin so much and complicate the sun. The background is more detailed than the foreground.

Here is a very rough mockup I put together which is kind of like a merge between the old logo and leaked logo. The lines still need to be cleaned up.

UNjuR.png

Here's my 2-minute tweak of your design of how I think it should look...

dolphins_zps79679b62.png

Anyone else wanna take a stab at it?

Yep, that pretty much seals it.

If I worked for the Colts or Jets right now, I'd save a copy of that to show Nike.

I suspect that the lousy UCLA stripes on pro teams come from those teams just accepting what Nike offered without challenging it. They should start now.

Yep, that pretty much seals it.

If I worked for the Colts or Jets right now, I'd save a copy of that to show Nike.

I suspect that the lousy UCLA stripes on pro teams come from those teams just accepting what Nike offered without challenging it. They should start now.

But that LSU jersey is a Nike product, according to the swoosh on it. So they can do it. So, why don't they?

It's where I sit.

Archived