Digby

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can they just move the Chivas team already? Pretty clear majority of people in LA won't cheer for an Mexican themed team over the Galaxy

Do you think moving them will help? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually curious)

I think the fact that the club has gone back to "Mexicans only" is ignorant and and frankly, won't work.

I get it, the owner is a Mexican, owns a huge club in Mexico and wants to develop talent to go to Mexico and win there. Here's the problem, MLS is not a development league. It's a teir 1 professional soccer league.

On top of that; EVEN if the league is seen as a way for American and Canadians to get more playing time to develop their national teams then why do we have a club developing for the Mexican national team?

Sorry if that sounds like I hate people from Mexico, that's not the case at all. I just think this club, in it's current state, has no business in MLS.

They had 7k in attendance tonight, for their HOME OPENER. You can literally put them almost anywhere in North America, and they would do better then that. Move them to San Diego, and call them "Atletico San Diego". You keep a form of the SuperClasico, and keep a rivalry

That's where we disagree.

While I understand that the idea of moving the team may get it to a new fan base which SHOULD result in more ticket sales, I believe that this team has been so bad for so long that anyone in a market without MLS who follows the league would not want Chivas USA knowing their history.

A re-brand, and bringing in star players would make everyone forget about their history.

Can they just move the Chivas team already? Pretty clear majority of people in LA won't cheer for an Mexican themed team over the Galaxy

Do you think moving them will help? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually curious)

I think the fact that the club has gone back to "Mexicans only" is ignorant and and frankly, won't work.

I get it, the owner is a Mexican, owns a huge club in Mexico and wants to develop talent to go to Mexico and win there. Here's the problem, MLS is not a development league. It's a teir 1 professional soccer league.

On top of that; EVEN if the league is seen as a way for American and Canadians to get more playing time to develop their national teams then why do we have a club developing for the Mexican national team?

Sorry if that sounds like I hate people from Mexico, that's not the case at all. I just think this club, in it's current state, has no business in MLS.

They had 7k in attendance tonight, for their HOME OPENER. You can literally put them almost anywhere in North America, and they would do better then that. Move them to San Diego, and call them "Atletico San Diego". You keep a form of the SuperClasico, and keep a rivalry

That's where we disagree.

While I understand that the idea of moving the team may get it to a new fan base which SHOULD result in more ticket sales, I believe that this team has been so bad for so long that anyone in a market without MLS who follows the league would not want Chivas USA knowing their history.

A re-brand, and bringing in star players would make everyone forget about their history.

That's kind of what they tried to do with Red Bull New York. However, the stars have yet to show up. :P

Chivas' crowd was despicable. What the club is doing is obviously not working. Even without star players they need to draw more than that. I really do believe a move is the only option. They have faltered long enough in LA that the Galaxy have taken control of the market. Time for something new.

On that note, and to make this relevant to the forum it is in: I really do like all of the looks Chivas USA (should be LA, as least) has put out, very classy stuff.

The new font makes every uniform in the league, new and old, look better. Major kudos to the designer on that. I'd consider getting a jersey customized now.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Reports today say the actual crowd was around 4,900. 2,700+ sold, 2,100+ free tickets.

Reports today say the actual crowd was around 4,900. 2,700+ sold, 2,100+ free tickets.

Can we swap them with the NASL for the Cosmos or any of the NASL Florida teams?

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I'd be cool with that!

Union's black look good against SKC I thought. I haven't seen pics from any other game, but I imagine that most wore their new kits

Orlando City, Fort Lauderdale, or Tampa would be a great additions, but I am hoping for Cosmos since I have no team to root for and my fan ethics prevent me from rooting for an energy drink team in NJ.

And yes I liked the Bethlehem Steel jerseys though SKC's jerseys were not as good looking on the field as I thought they would be.

Orlando City, Fort Lauderdale, or Tampa would be a great additions, but I am hoping for Cosmos since I have no team to root for and my fan ethics prevent me from rooting for an energy drink team in NJ.

We could have both our Cosmos and one of the Florida teams. I'd call that a win-win.

...presuming any of them had MLS-level financial backing. But, hey, style over substance is the Cosmos way, right? :D

(Well, I guess Orlando sort of does now.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I am hearing the Galaxy actually poached the Chivas fanbase with cheap season ticket offers. Literally what's left is just their support groups They accounted for around 60-70% of the tickets sold in that game.

That team is doomed. No one is building a stadium for them in LA, and their crowds won't get much better. Relocation is the only option.

I'd be cool with that!

Union's black look good against SKC I thought. I haven't seen pics from any other game, but I imagine that most wore their new kits

And yes I liked the Bethlehem Steel jerseys though SKC's jerseys were not as good looking on the field as I thought they would be.

Give Orlando a shot. Tampa, and the Miami metro area are not proven sports markets. Both already lost MLS teams, and have attendance issues in other sports.

The Magic are the 3rd worst team in the NBA, yet still operate at around 94% capacity every night, and have less to compete with.

Don't expect the new NY team to use the Cosmos name. Empire or City FC is very likely. The MLS commish is upset the Cosmos ownership proved impatient and took an NASL team.

...presuming any of them had MLS-level financial backing. But, hey, style over substance is the Cosmos way, right? :D

(Well, I guess Orlando sort of does now.)

I would say those old Cosmos teams had a lot of substance. :P

But in all honesty anything is better than Shitvas USA. It would be hilarious if Portland or Seattle supporters outnumbered them at a Chivas home game.

I'd be cool with that!

Give Orlando a shot. Tampa, and the Miami metro area are not proven sports markets. Both already lost MLS teams, and have attendance issues in other sports.

The Magic are the 3rd worst team in the NBA, yet still operate at around 94% capacity every night, and have less to compete with.

Don't expect the new NY team to use the Cosmos name. Empire or City FC is very likely. The MLS commish is upset the Cosmos ownership proved impatient and took an NASL team.

I do not care who is NY2 as long as it is there and is not named after a product.

One thing I don't like about SKC's new jersey is the inconsistency when players wear long and short sleeves. In the game on the weekend, some chose to wear long sleeves, so they had different coloured sleeves all the way down. Some players though decided tom wear short sleeves with an undershirt. Most that I saw were wearing light blue undershirts, and so their one sleeve started off dark blue but then switched to light blue. The photo below helps illustrate what I mean.

I didn't see anyone wearing a dark blue undershirt, which would have added another variation.

482851_10151464248157042_1961552255_n.jpg

After seeing the new Timbers jerseys in action last night, I was no longer all that bothered by the strange striping in the front. Instead, what bugged me was the Adidas stripes, which -- even more than most Adidas kits -- appear slapped on as an afterthought. It's like they took a swatch of white cloth with green stripes on it and sewed it over the green shoulders.

72403_10151471976697236_305343761_n.jpg

After seeing the new Timbers jerseys in action last night, I was no longer all that bothered by the strange striping in the front. Instead, what bugged me was the Adidas stripes, which -- even more than most Adidas kits -- appear slapped on as an afterthought. It's like they took a swatch of white cloth with green stripes on it and sewed it over the green shoulders.

72403_10151471976697236_305343761_n.jpg

Speaking in generalities, the Adidas stripes don't bug me but I agree, they really stand out on this kit.

The green stripe needs to be continued from the front to the shoulders and continue to the back in this case.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived