2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

what's worse, hockey has never been played in Preston - it's never even had a rink. The nearest hockey clubs are in Blackburn and Cleveleys, 10-15 miles away.

Worse still, said Blackburn team's primary logo is a blatant knockoff of the Philadelphia Eagles.

I've been thinking about starting up a thread, dedicated to the lack of any aesthetic sense with British "North American" sports teams. All the big hockey nations in Europe have their own aesthetic style - granted much of it is derived from football/soccer - but at least there's something going for them. In Britain, teams either come out with a half arsed piece of clipart or they pinch an existing pro team's logo off of Google. It's embarrassing.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what's worse, hockey has never been played in Preston - it's never even had a rink. The nearest hockey clubs are in Blackburn and Cleveleys, 10-15 miles away.

Worse still, said Blackburn team's primary logo is a blatant knockoff of the Philadelphia Eagles.

I've been thinking about starting up a thread, dedicated to the lack of any aesthetic sense with British "North American" sports teams. All the big hockey nations in Europe have their own aesthetic style - granted much of it is derived from football/soccer - but at least there's something going for them. In Britain, teams either come out with a half arsed piece of clipart or they pinch an existing pro team's logo off of Google. It's embarrassing.

I think it might be a bit unjust saying Blackburn's logo is a blatant knockoff of the Eagles - there's enough difference there to put them in a lower category of 'knockoffness' than quite a lot of the teams in Britain.Blackburn%2Blogos.jpg957.gif

If you compare that to Guildford or Bracknell...

LogoGuildfordFlames.jpg600.jpg

It's still basically identical to the Eagles logo. They tweaked a few things here and there, but the proportions and style used by the Eagles is still there.

Bracknell's definitely more blatant in their use of the Sarnia Sting logo with no changes whatsoever. As for the Guildford Flames, I always found it odd that they paired the Calgary logo with the Thrashers colour scheme.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I could never really understand that either. They've always used one of the Thrashers' jersey templates too, I think since they first started up in Atlanta. Now they are no more, it might mean some originality when they decide on a redesign.

I do hate when existing logos are just straight up plagiarised though. I've done the initial sketches for a couple of British hockey logos, and always tried to do something a bit different to anything recognised.

Thank goodness we never saw an NHL jersey with Donald Duck as one of their main logos...

we didn't?

2093120_crop_650x440.jpg?1309445227donald-duck-3523d.jpg

That mask certainly wouldn't fit on a regular duck...

Mallard_Duck_507d83288da44.jpg

It clearly looks to be patterned after Disney's interpretation of ducks, i.e. Donald Duck

Or really any cartoon anthropomorphic duck. The mask could easily fit onto Daffy Duck, Howard the Duck, or....I'm having trouble thinking of more famous cartoon ducks haha, but the point remains. They clearly just modeled it after an anthropomorphic duck more than a specific one.

C'mon now, It's a "Disney-fied" Donald Duck-eque Duck. there's no way around it. If you think the company with a World Famous anthropomorphic duck didnt pattern their anthropomorphic duck hockey mask logo for their team named the "Ducks" after their own famous trademarked duck, but instead chose a generic look, I dont know what to tell you.

Also, I'm pretty sure Disney gave up the rights to that logo when they sold the team, so it's no issue for the Samueli's to keep using it. Had this logo never before existed and the team tried to debut it now, they'd get sued so fast by Disney their heads would spin claiming that any reasonable person sees Donald Duck in the logo.

Like someone else said, it could just as easily be Daffy Duck. It's just how anthropomorphic ducks look. It's the human mask of that style with a bill wide enough to match the width of the face. You could absolutely start a non-Disney-owned hockey team with that logo.

I think the Ducks original logo is brilliant. It takes the history of hockey with the old style mask, and brings a unique take on it. Yeah, they could've had an actual duck as a logo and on the jerseys, but that would've not been original. I also think the webbed "D" is brilliant too. Both are brilliant designs that are thinking out of the box. They are should be appreciated, that is if you like design. Saying it's "Too Disney", is just straight out ignorant. It's a brilliant design.

It probably wouldn't work, but has anyone tried to put the current webbed D inside the mighty ducks logo instead of the mask?

Yeah I don't think it would look good, but I'd be interested to see! Maybe change the outline thickness on the D to match the two styles a bit more...

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Thank goodness we never saw an NHL jersey with Donald Duck as one of their main logos...

we didn't?

It clearly looks to be patterned after Disney's interpretation of ducks, i.e. Donald Duck

Or really any cartoon anthropomorphic duck. The mask could easily fit onto Daffy Duck, Howard the Duck, or....I'm having trouble thinking of more famous cartoon ducks haha, but the point remains. They clearly just modeled it after an anthropomorphic duck more than a specific one.

C'mon now, It's a "Disney-fied" Donald Duck-eque Duck. there's no way around it. If you think the company with a World Famous anthropomorphic duck didnt pattern their anthropomorphic duck hockey mask logo for their team named the "Ducks" after their own famous trademarked duck, but instead chose a generic look, I dont know what to tell you.

Also, I'm pretty sure Disney gave up the rights to that logo when they sold the team, so it's no issue for the Samueli's to keep using it. Had this logo never before existed and the team tried to debut it now, they'd get sued so fast by Disney their heads would spin claiming that any reasonable person sees Donald Duck in the logo.

Like someone else said, it could just as easily be Daffy Duck. It's just how anthropomorphic ducks look. It's the human mask of that style with a bill wide enough to match the width of the face. You could absolutely start a non-Disney-owned hockey team with that logo.

donald+duck+and+daffy+duck.png

There clearly are some differences there...I don't know if it would fit Daffy either...

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

we didn't?

If Disney chose Donald Duck as the model for the logo...why wasn't Wild Wing just Donald Duck in hockey gear?

BrianLion, you're wrong on both accounts. If that logo never existed, Disney would have no claim. It's not Donald Duck. A duck-shaped hockey mask is not Donald Duck. You see what you want to see. Take the glasses off and look at it objectively. If it was the Boston Ducks and they had that logo, I very much doubt you'd think "Oh that's Disney's Donald Duck!" It's just not there.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So basically Ducks fans think the logo is brilliant and classic, everybody else in the universe thinks it's cartoony and clearly designed for (and possibly by - not sure there) Disney.

It's a well concepted and well executed logo. Can't deny that. It just has no business being in a top-tier professional league. Minors or a kids team? It's great. It is what it is, and pretending it's anything else is just silly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's a well concepted and well executed logo. Can't deny that. It just has no business being in a top-tier professional league. Minors or a kids team? It's great.

I agree. The Anaheim Mighty Ducks would've been great in the '90s IHL, right alongside the Orlando Solar Bears.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm a Ducks hater, not a fan at all. Its a great logo that is synonymous with the franchise. It should be the primary logo again, in whatever color scheme you want. The D should stay in the package as an alternate logo, however.

we didn't?

If Disney chose Donald Duck as the model for the logo...why wasn't Wild Wing just Donald Duck in hockey gear?

BrianLion, you're wrong on both accounts. If that logo never existed, Disney would have no claim. It's not Donald Duck. A duck-shaped hockey mask is not Donald Duck. You see what you want to see. Take the glasses off and look at it objectively. If it was the Boston Ducks and they had that logo, I very much doubt you'd think "Oh that's Disney's Donald Duck!" It's just not there.

Wild Wing and every other Disney Duck is a derivative of some kind of Donald Duck, they're all drawn artistically from the same sort of "duck template" if you will, that Disney uses. It's the reason you can pick a Disney Duck out of a crowd quite easily. The brand identity behind their characters is second to none.

And I'm not wrong. Do you mean to tell me if a team that was unrelated to Disney came out with that logo today, Disney wouldnt sue them for copyright infringement? C'mon now, that logo SCREAMS Disney when you look at it, because the mask is based off of the Disney duck template. That's a veritable softball for any average IP attorney. I don't think anyone, outside of these forums, has ever denied this before. Seriously, the cognitive dissonance in here is rather staggering.

I 100% agree with this

HOWEVER... just as a very small side note, Warner Bros. duck is would also fit that mask:

Daffy_duck.jpg

And in fact, Disney's "Duck" has become so well known, its almost become THE way to draw a cartoon duck even if real ducks don't look anything like it:

how-to-draw-a-cartoon-duck_1_00000000274

So -- having said that... is is POSSIBLE to make an argument that the Duck logo is a very standard Cartoon Duck... of which a "Very Standard Cartoon Duck" is modeled after Disney's Duck.

(this is how Copywrite Lawyers think)

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

FYI, the Stadium Series presser is about to start. We might see something here...

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=616&id=447893&navid=nhl:topheads

Doubtful. The presser at Soldier Field had no uniform news.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived