For those keeping closer track, what's the verdict on the Chivas US experiment? Have they succeeded in any way in tapping into the Mexican fanbase in LA? Or is the whole thing an embarrassing kid-brother element to a league finally making real strides to establishing legitimacy?

3,000 fans at the game against RSL tonight...that's a big percentage of the hispanic population in LA, right?....guys?.. right?

They got quite a show of awfulness on both sides too...when Chelis sent GK Dan Kennedy up for a free kick deep in RSL territory my sides went into orbit.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those keeping closer track, what's the verdict on the Chivas US experiment? Have they succeeded in any way in tapping into the Mexican fanbase in LA? Or is the whole thing an embarrassing kid-brother element to a league finally making real strides to establishing legitimacy?

3,000 fans at the game against RSL tonight...that's a big percentage of the hispanic population in LA, right?....guys?.. right?

That is sad.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Could Orange County or San Diego be a good fit if the Chivas move?

There's really no place to put them in Orange County, nor would I say there's the appetite for it. Of the MLS fans in OC, they've claimed the Galaxy as their team. (Hell, Home Depot Center is an easier drive than Staples Center or Dodger Stadium is.)

And San Diego would be the same or possibly worse than LA was for Chivas because of the reasons Mockba said. Hell, it probably puts them at a greater disadvantage by being in Tijuana's backyard.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Could Orange County or San Diego be a good fit if the Chivas move?

There's really no place to put them in Orange County, nor would I say there's the appetite for it. Of the MLS fans in OC, they've claimed the Galaxy as their team. (Hell, Home Depot Center is an easier drive than Staples Center or Dodger Stadium is.)

And San Diego would be the same or possibly worse than LA was for Chivas because of the reasons Mockba said. Hell, it probably puts them at a greater disadvantage by being in Tijuana's backyard.

Admittedly, I should've stated that a move would also require a name change for the team. I was thinking maybe a team in Anaheim, etc, can be set up as a team for OC fans like the Ducks and Angels are. Of course there are no stadiums for a team there(Unless Angel Stadium counts, which it doesn't), and thats a massive negative. San Diego at least has Qualcomm, although for soccer it's not the greatest situation long term. Although, if the Chargers move to LA, then maybe they could build a cheaper soccer stadium(compared to a football one). I do know that competitive youth soccer is very popular in the areas, and there is a good number of Hispanics in SoCal, so the demographics could be there.

Is there any other regions around the country where MLS could succeed? (Besides the Cosmos)

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I searched for NASL attendance this year and most of them have had attendance in home games greater than the 3,000 Chivas had last night.

Not sure they choose the right name ? the right sport? Go figure.

New York City Football club.

??? What do you guys think? This name is bringing confusion more then anything else.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/21/major-league-soccer-announces-new-york-expansion-team-new-york-city-football

A partnership between the Yankees and Manchester City...I hate them already! But to answer your question...I'm not too fond of the name either.

??? What do you guys think? This name is bringing confusion more then anything else.

http://www.mlssoccer...k-city-football

A partnership between the Yankees and Manchester City...I hate them already! But to answer your question...I'm not too fond of the name either.

Do people still get confused by the FC moniker?...More importantly, should we care what those people think?

So is this going to be the 6th team in MLS using sky blue?

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

"Hey, New York, we got your own little Manchester City! See, you're almost as big-time as Manchester! And we're gonna let the Yankees run it, too! Isn't that aweso... hey, where are you going?"

"Not Jersey FC" would be more marketable.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

http://www.mlssoccer...k-city-football

That kind of partnership just conflicts the hell out of me, because I'm about the furthest thing from a Manchester City fan.

Which just reminds me again about Manchester City and Chelsea playing a friendly at Yankee Stadium this weekend. Cripes.

spacer.png

Ah so close to a double-sided Atlantic rivalry with Liverpool/Boston/Fenway vs Manchester/New York, but they picked the wrong side of Manchester for this one. :P

Anyway, I think the New York City FC name has some issues with it. One, it's a bit clunky. Two, with Manchester City it was two things. Manchester, then City FC. With NYCFC, there's New York City, then FC. I know the city is just technically "New York" but we all call it "New York City". The City in "Manchester City FC" and "New York City FC" have two different meanings. Is it supposed to be "City FC, New York" or "FC, New York City"?

Do people still get confused by the FC moniker?...More importantly, should we care what those people think?

So is this going to be the 6th team in MLS using sky blue?

Anyone still with an issue over the "FC" thing in soccer can just go gent bent at this point. It's not "Euro-izing" American soccer. It's soccer-izing soccer. It's part of the worldwide soccer culture. And trying to Americanize soccer, especially in the MLS, has led to some disasterous results. This is fine.

And jeez, you're right. When did sky blue become MLS's color du jour?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I don't mind the "FC" thing, but do miss the American concept of mascots, like Timbers, Whitecaps or, dare I say, Sounders FC.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I am excited for NYC in 2015. Hopefully the team will have its own identity instead of it being a carbon copy of the parent club or clubs.

Archived