Rumor - Mariners going to creme colored unis?

larrypep

Well, not really. Words mean things. If you're designing a web page, for example, and you specify "gold" as a color, you get something remarkably like the Packers' or Steelers' shades.

I would still be thrilled if people stopped trying to revive the "gold is really yellow, man!" thing every couple months. It's not an issue until they do, and the subject always comes up from that particular side.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I shall call you Fartsmith VonPoopypants. No amount of postings under your actual screen name shall convince me otherwise.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

arguments over colors names are always idiotic.

there is no right or wrong answer, as there are countless shades of teal that some people call aqua, teal, light blue, or pacific-emerald-topaz. none of it matters. a rose by any other name, etc.

gold is an equally vague term that can refer to anything from the boston bruins' socks, to the penguin's sand, to the saints khaki pants, or the old dallas stars "baby poo". the 49ers have 'gold' helmets and 'gold' pants, that look nothing like each other. same for notre dame.

they're gold because they call it gold. to disagree is just like... your opinion, man.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but aren't ALL colors that are able to be replicated in various media (mediums?) designated by an official Pantone color name/number? If so, then what is the argument then? The color is what it is, why are we arguing about the NAME of it? Who cares if it is 'yellow' or 'gold' if there is an official Pantone associated with it? Maybe I just don't get the basis of the argument going on here, but it would seem to me to be quite easy to differentiate one color from another using the Pantone system, wouldn't it???

there is no right or wrong answer, as there are countless shades of teal that some people call aqua, teal, light blue, or pacific-emerald-topaz. none of it matters. a rose by any other name, etc.

gold is an equally vague term that can refer to anything from the boston bruins' socks, to the penguin's sand, to the saints khaki pants, or the old dallas stars "baby poo". the 49ers have 'gold' helmets and 'gold' pants, that look nothing like each other. same for notre dame.

they're gold because they call it gold. to disagree is just like... your opinion, man.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but aren't ALL colors that are able to be replicated in various media (mediums?) designated by an official Pantone color name/number? If so, then what is the argument then? The color is what it is, why are we arguing about the NAME of it? Who cares if it is 'yellow' or 'gold' if there is an official Pantone associated with it? Maybe I just don't get the basis of the argument going on here, but it would seem to me to be quite easy to differentiate one color from another using the Pantone system, wouldn't it???

This.

The Packers refer to PANTONE 1235 C as "Gold", but the AZ Cardinals call it "Yellow".

Same color.

I could reference 1000s of these kinds of things.

Does that mean no more nonsense like "let's stop pretending"?

I really dont see how that is considered nonsense. Its a legitimate argument, one that it appears can go on forever. Really no different than how the University of Minnesota calls their 13 lined ground squirrel a "golden gopher", but thats another show.

To you its gold, To me its yellow. I'm dropping it. I'm going back to how the Mariners current uniforms are better than anything the team has previously worn.

This.

The Packers refer to PANTONE 1235 C as "Gold", but the AZ Cardinals call it "Yellow".

Same color.

I could reference 1000s of these kinds of things.

Lord Colour has spoken... /argument

Well, not really. Words mean things. If you're designing a web page, for example, and you specify "gold" as a color, you get something remarkably like the Packers' or Steelers' shades.

But what if you get something remarkably like the 49ers or Saints helmets? Like, actual gold?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

for what it's worth gold in it's pure form:

237312_1315041840.jpg

so in essence it's not the light shade the Packers or Steelers use but it's also not the brownish darker shade of gold that teams like the 49ers and Rams use use.

gold can have different shades the same way the color gold does to, gold can be anywhere from white, to yellow, so having a brownish orange color, so having so many shades in sports that are called gold is also correct

Just throwing my hat into this mini argument, I call it gold.

The Redskins wear "burgundy and gold". West Virginia wears "old gold and blue". (emphasis on old gold. As stated on the school website: "The correct reference to West Virginia University’s color scheme is “Old Gold and Blue”, not Blue and Gold (those are Pitt colors!).")

90758391980.gif

Actually, in the United States, gray is the preferred spelling for the color. In England, it is the opposite.

Does that mean no more nonsense like "let's stop pretending"?

I really dont see how that is considered nonsense. Its a legitimate argument, one that it appears can go on forever.

No, it's insulting.

The language would be inappropriate regardless of the subject; stating that we all secretly agree with you but aren't being honest. That was the real issue I had with your original post, and I think had you just said "I think what you call gold is really just yellow" you wouldn't have received the response you did.

We must all respect our fellow posters with a presumption of good faith.

Next battle:

Grey v. Gray: 50 Shades of PAIN

Live! on Pay-Per-View

Grey: Color

Gray: Name

issue solved. continue daily tasks

Actually both are correct, and both are last names as well, it's just "gray" is more commonly used in US English, and "grey" is used most commonly in Great Britain, so it doesn't matter which one is used, it's like the difference btw "spelt" (GB) and "spelled" (US) both are correct as well.

And I shall call you Fartsmith VonPoopypants. No amount of postings under your actual screen name shall convince me otherwise.

I love this. Fartsmith VonPoopypants it is.

Athletic Gold = YELLOW

End of discussion.

You thought this brilliant contribution would "end the discussion"? Now that's funny.

Archived