New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

So I did a quick mockup using the Bear's template, so pardon the sloppiness. Is this what everyone is picturing given the clue?

Vikes_Side_Pant_Mockup_zps6a2227c2.jpg

I also did this one for kicks:

Vikes_Side_Pant_Mockup_v2_zps17f10436.jpg

I sure hope it is the bottom picture.

The top one looks like somebody messed up & left the stripe off.

Not a fan of the top one its not terrible but just looks incomplete.

Its being different with no real reason behind it.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eric_j_thompson on twitter just posted this

https://twitter.com/...386125220102144

BHlYeQrCQAAG9pJ.jpg

Looking at the pictures of the old and new pants, it appears they zoomed in a lot more on the new pants to throw everyone off on the striping pattern. The holes in the mesh on the picture of the new pants are bigger and there is more detail overall.

I was thinking that as well. IMO, I think the stripes will go thin purple, gold, fat purple middle, gold, thin purple.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

eric_j_thompson on twitter just posted this

https://twitter.com/...386125220102144

BHlYeQrCQAAG9pJ.jpg

Looking at the pictures of the old and new pants, it appears they zoomed in a lot more on the new pants to throw everyone off on the striping pattern. The holes in the mesh on the picture of the new pants are bigger and there is more detail overall.

Another thing about those pictures, on the image with the belt, the pants are the same shade of white. Looks like this isn't a lighting or filter trick, but the purple actually is going to be a darker shade.

No new Purple, but then again, it's changed a number of times over the past few years, and very few seemed to notice.

And this Yellow/Gold/Athletic Gold nonsense needs to stop. It's just a name. Some teams call PANTONE 123 C Yellow, some call it Gold. You could call it "Light Yellow-Orange" if you really wanted to. Doesn't matter.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

So I did a quick mockup using the Bear's template, so pardon the sloppiness. Is this what everyone is picturing given the clue?

Why are so many people disregarding the fact that you can clearly see white on the bottom right corner of the leaked picture? Meaning that the pant stripe will NOT be the bottom picture here but could very well be the top one.

yszLZGA.jpg

If you look very carefully at the lower right of this image you can see the purple ends with a white egde parallel to the other stripes... in other words, there isn't another gold and black stripe on the other side... its asymmetrical. Thin black/less thin gold/thick purple.

After looking at the image on a contrasted background, you're right!

Stripe_on_dark_zps1caa7a21.jpg

That is white, not yellow, meaning asymmetrical. Very interesting, wasn't expecting that! Now the question is, how does this work for shoulder stripes? Nice twist.

Looks that way.

Why are so many people disregarding the fact that you can clearly see white on the bottom right corner of the leaked picture? Meaning that the pant stripe will NOT be the bottom picture here but could very well be the top one.

It can be the bottom one IF the white we see is from a belt loop.

IMO, I think we're going to see asymmetrical striping (and I really like that look, personally), but that image doesn't rule out that there could be purple-yellow-purple-yellow-purple striping.

(although the stitching that appears to show the end of the mesh panel heavily suggests that the P-Y-P-Y-P striping isn't happening)

No new Purple, but then again, it's changed a number of times over the past few years, and very few seemed to notice.

And this Yellow/Gold/Athletic Gold nonsense needs to stop. It's just a name. Some teams call PANTONE 123 C Yellow, some call it Gold. You could call it "Light Yellow-Orange" if you really wanted to. Doesn't matter.

If I'm not mistaken, ColorWerx said that, right? I believe he was referring to the logo, not the uniforms. Sames as he did with Miami and Jax. In fact, I'm pretty sure he said he has not gotten the palette for any of the uniforms yet.

Some one feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of the above

OK...hopefully I can clear up some of the dialog regarding the Vikings' Purple.

Again, for those who haven't picked up what I've been saying for years now, the NFL used custom color ink mixes for matching prior to 1980 or so. Pretty much everything prior to 1980 is going to be an estimate - no Pantone equivalents were specified. So based on my 1977 NFL Style Guide set, I have been able to match these custom colors fairly closely to Pantone standards.

The early color estimates plus my extensive research (Style Guides and official digital files ranging from 1977 through the present) have produced the following color changes for the Vikings' Purple:

MinnesotaVikingsPurple_1979_SCC_SRGB.pngMinnesotaVikingsPurple_1996_SCC_SRGB.pngMinnesotaVikingsPurple_2001_SCC_SRGB.pngMinnesotaVikingsPurple_2009_SCC_SRGB.pngMinnesotaVikingsPurple_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Keep in mind that these shades represent the spot colors - used for printing, but also provide the base color for matching to other substrates, including textiles, twill, threads, etc.

For textile color matches, the NFL didn't begin specifying Pantone Textile colors until 1997. However, Reebok began using a custom fabric/textile color in 2007, and Nike started using one in 2012. For some inexplicable reason, the custom Reebok color is still listed in official files. What is also misleading as to the actual colors used, is that the Reebok and Nike color codes are created using CMYK. Which is asinine in my mind. Converting CMYK to RGB (which what is done here for these custom colors) produces an inferior color representation. The best way to measure a color's properties is to use a color spectrometer and determine the CIE-L*ab numbers. Then, convert those coordinates to sRGB. (But I digress - ya think?).

OK - so the first two Textile swatches here represent accurate representations of the Pantone Textile colors used by the Vikings from 1997 through 2006, and the last two represent CMYK conversions of custom manufacturer colors. Take them with a grain of salt.

MinnesotaVikingsPurple_2001_TXC_SRGB.pngMinnesotaVikingsPurple_2006_TXC_SRGB.pngMinnesotaVikingsPurple_9999_TXC_SRGB.pngMinnesotaVikingsPurple_9999_TX2_SRGB.png

Maybe this will help

spacer.png

Also, is it terribly unheard of for omissions from the original style sheet? Not at all. There was no mention of the new Chisox away pants, but here we are. Its possible its darker. I still agree its most likely a dark filter with either some highpass filter over it, or a combo of things...but man i do like that darker purple quite a bit.

It's interesting how blue the '02-'09 "purple" looks when seen side-by-side with the other shades.

This is what Purple People Eaters should look like. Have to love Carl Eller's "custom" ice pack.

alan_page_1969_10_19.jpg

FWIW here's a recent pic for (admittedly imprecise) comparison. Actually looks pretty close.

Vikings-beat-Panthers-in-rookie-QB-meeting-I6HLLGO-x-large.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

As long as we're on the subject...

This first pic was posted on another board. While I'm not a fan of the newer horn, nor the placement on this mock-up, I do like the matte finish. No sure if I care for the black face mask. I would have been happy with either the gray or matching purple.

HelmetMock-up-A_zps9bd40a9a.jpg

I took out the the newer horn, and used the original. I also substituted the yellow-gold bezel with a gradient brass color. I'm just guessing that the bezel may have been metal? A lot of people don't like the break in the horn, but I think it's O.K. Yes, it's a little distracting. But after looking at it for such a long time, my mind kinda fills it in.

HelmetMock-up-B_zps3b83e96f.jpg

I'm also a fan of the outline. And I know a lot of people don't like it. But I think it gives the logo some contrast and makes it pop. I used 60% black, as I think 100% is a bit much. The 60% gives it a softer edge.

HelmetMock-up-C_zps7a4f40ba.jpg

BTW, very nice job on the color sheet. I think the original purple was the best. Kinda looks like North Western purple.

Just goofing around, I added antique white to the horn. Horns aren't necessarily white. I like it.

HelmetMock-up-D_zpsab3d2484.jpg

Nope. They finally unified the horns with the new logo so I doubt, and wouldn't want to, see anything using a different horn. Expecting matte, would like 'Rutgers' effects. Happy with anything if it's the same horn.

I was just having fun with it. No matter what, I'll be happy as hell, as long as they didn't mess with the horns. When it comes to the helmet, I think that's the general consensus.

If I'm not mistaken, ColorWerx said that, right? I believe he was referring to the logo, not the uniforms. Sames as he did with Miami and Jax. In fact, I'm pretty sure he said he has not gotten the palette for any of the uniforms yet.

Some one feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of the above

But why would they lighten the gold on their logo if they were going to darken it on their uniforms?

Archived