New Jaguars Uniforms

PaleVermilion81

Okay, I'm done, way too close-minded and unsettled with anything that gets associated with the mainstream critics' idea of "amateur" in here. This kind of thinking is virtually why every team in the MLB wears red or navy with basic stripes and no innovative design elements, the same kind of thinking that spouted the atrocious uniforms the Cavaliers changed to post-LeBron James.

I applaud Nike, the Seahawks, and the Jaguars.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'm done, way too close-minded and unsettled with anything that gets associated with the mainstream critics' idea of "amateur" in here. This kind of thinking is virtually why every team in the MLB wears red or navy with basic stripes and no innovative design elements, the same kind of thinking that spouted the atrocious uniforms the Cavaliers changed to post-LeBron James.

MOD EDIT

This isn't a modern vs. traditionalist debate as much as people will want to make it one.

This is a good taste and common sense versus horrible taste debate. The Jaguars have horrible taste. Time will prove as much.

MODERN DOESN'T EQUAL BAD. TRADITIONAL DOESN'T EQUAL GOOD. TRADITIONAL DOESN'T EQUAL BAD. MODERN DOESN'T EQUAL GOOD.

GOOD DESIGN EQUALS GOOD. BAD DESIGN EQUALS BAD.

Seriously, why is football the only freaking sport where this is a constant argument and where factions develop? Why does football bring out the DUMBEST posters every single year?

PvO6ZWJ.png

HORRIBLY EXECUTED HELMET GRADIENT. ABSURD MATTE-TO-SHINY-TRANSITION. HUGE SHINY HELMET DECAL WITH STUPID CARTOON.

3qwkqq.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think you guys are right to call out what you didn't like, but I never freak out and exagerrate so far before letting something new sink in, especially if it's radically off putting on first glance. I've never had much fun talking to aspiring designers because of their "F.U., I know what is structurally right and wrong better than anyone else in the industry" attitude, but it's never been as bad as it is on this board when something new drops. I thought I was pretentious, but geez...

I agree with everyone that the helmet tears apart the whole brand, but would it help if it faded from gloss black to gold instead of matte? I like the jerseys a lot, especially the alternate, they should definitely pair that with black pants.

I think the two tone helmet simply doesn't work. Maybe if the application was something similar to how Navy did it, it would be passable, but for the most part two-tone helmets just look ugly. Its unfortunate though because I think the rest of the uniforms are just a couple tweaks away from being really solid.

MOD EDIT

Overall, this mess isn't as disjointed as Seattle's—until you add in that helmet. I'd be surprised if they make it out of preseason.

They'll "make it out" just fine. Not everyone has such dismissive knee-jerk reactions to everything different. As if they're going to give in to expected amount of MOD EDIT that scream "i hate it, go back to the way it was before!" whenever anything radical is introduced.

MOD EDIT

"Ah, this is genuinely the ugliest helmet in the history of football!" Don't worry MOD EDIT, you will realize soon enough...

I think you guys are right to call out what you didn't like, but I never freak out and exagerrate so far before letting something new sink in, especially if it's radically off putting on first glance. I've never had much fun talking to aspiring designers because of their "F.U., I know what is structurally right and wrong better than anyone else in the industry" attitude, but it's never been as bad as it is on this board when something new drops. I thought I was pretentious, but geez...

People don't hate this because it's different, they hate this because it's ugly. Just because something is unique doesn't make it good.

I agree that the community here can be a bit difficult regarding uniform design in terms of hypocrisy and double talk, but Ice_Cap's post sums this one up with a nice bow.

This look's pure ugliness takes precedence over a singular element: facemask, stripe, etc - it's an amalgamation of about 8 god-awful things that make for a perfect storm of bad, all summarized with it's preposterous helmet. I'm sorry if your favorite team looks like a hot mess, but Nike's gonna Nike, and the Jags fell into the path of the tornado.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Not every element of the Jags' new look is bad. There are actually many great things about it. Its just that they don't all look good together and coupled with some really crappy elements it becomes one big pile of splattered puke for the janitor to clean up...thats it.

I'm no design expert or anything like that, but when I first saw these I actually thought they were a joke. But then again, it's the Jaguars so what did we really expect?

My reaction to these can be summed up with two Michael Scot gifs.

First reaction:

Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif

Then after reading the promotional page for them on the Nike website.

tumblr_m5exhwtj7T1rxpohzo1_250.gif

MOD EDIT

Look, I'm not a designer by any stretch of the imagination nor will I ever be. However, this Jaguars helmet sucks. I believe two-toned helmets can work, but they failed spectacularly on this one. The single colored sleeves looks out of place. They could have included just one more accent color near the sleeves to complete the uniform, but as it stands now, they don't have a continuity to them. Also the Jags shield thing looks incredibly stupid.

Just like the Seahawks unis, if the Jaguars had done a couple of more things to their sets, they could have some of the best in the league, but now they're easily the worst. And I have to say, it's almost all because of that god awful helmet.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Just FYI: close[d]-minded does not mean "does not agree with me." There's no reason the Jags couldn't have come up with something much better, especially with the helmet. MOD EDIT

A helmet that looks like it was half spray painted is pretty damned amateur. Especially for the NFL, where so many teams already have set an example of how uniforms can and should look. Like McCarthy has been saying -- it's not about what can be done, but what should be done.

http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/us-football/stories/2013/04/jaguar-jersey-reveal.html

Watched the reveal video on there, and once again it reminds me that this wasn't Nike selling the Jaguars, this was Nike using the Jaguars to sell Nike.

When the priority of your design team isn't to make a product they can be proud of but rather make a product that will infuriate people in order to keep Nike's name associated with "groundbreaking," you've got a major problem.

twitter

Overall, this mess isn't as disjointed as Seattle's—until you add in that helmet. I'd be surprised if they make it out of preseason.

They'll "make it out" just fine. Not everyone has such dismissive knee-jerk reactions to everything different. As if they're going to give in to expected amount of MOD EDIT that scream "i hate it, go back to the way it was before!" whenever anything radical is introduced.

People don't hate this because it's different, they hate this because it's ugly. Just because something is unique doesn't make it good.

Well said!

spacer.png

MOD EDIT I think the helmet is ugly and ruins an otherwise decent look. You can't assume that negative initial reactions are "knee-jerk."

Looks good here, though.

QncNZjz.jpg

"There's no reason not to win now, you can't blame the suit." - Jags owner Shahir Kahn

AxlVYjw.gif

Looks good here, though.

QncNZjz.jpg

Photoshop and professional lighting work wonders.

twitter

Archived