Best game you have ever watched?

csura999

Oh come on now, even I gotta give it up for that one. Well played.

Hell, I'll take it, but you need someone from the Majestic XII to confirm it. It would be a conflict of interest if I awarded myself a belt. B)

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might miss the overall point of the thread, but the memories are still great!

In person:

10/3/90: Cecil Fielder hits #50 and #51 @ Yankees. As a 9 y/o this was special because my Dad was teaching me about Mantle and Maris most of the night too.

4/19/09: Yankees host Indians; Opening Weekend @ New Yankee Stadium. Bday gift for Dad sitting front row on RCF Auxiliary Scoreboard.

10/25/09: Yankees defeat Angles; ALCS Game 6. Attended with brother, sitting front row, 1B side, but ballboy. Phil Coke poured champagne on my brother and I.

4/13/10: Yankees Home Opener; 09 Ring ceremony. 5th row behind dugout. Conversed with Yankee President Lon Trost after a Nick Johnson HR.

TV:

1994 NY Rangers/Knicks Playoff Run (With OJ car chase sprinkled in)

1996 Yankee Playoff Run

Radio:

5/17/98: David Wells' Perfect Game

spacer.png

FANTASY SPORTS: UBA (NBA): New York Scrapers | CL (MLB): St Pete Beach Clippers

Hell, I'll take it, but you need someone from the Majestic XII to confirm it. It would be a conflict of interest if I awarded myself a belt. B)

Denied.

It's "Post of the Day", not "Best Name Change of the Day". Rules are rules.

Cowsills Matt is pretty stout, though.....

Denied.

Fair enough. No argument here.

BB52Big.jpg

Denied.

I want to say that the name change is actually PART of the post. The post itself was great, and the simple name change to go along WITH the substance of the post is why I offered up the nomination. So there's my case, I still think he deserves it... just my two rusted Lincoln's though.

Canada vs USA New Years eve game in 2009 in Ottawa. No doubt.

I was at that game and it was amazing, but the semi-final game against Russia was even better.

The Russia Game wasn't as entertaining, in my opinion, but that Eberle goal definitely was one of the biggest in WJC history, maybe even Canadian hockey history.

In person, I'd have to go with this year's ND-Stanford football game. From it pouring buckets of rain to it being the first time any of us thought of the national title game as a possibility, it's one I probably won't forget. ND-Pitt this year was pretty good, too. I'll stray from mentioning a couple of great high school basketball games I've seen over the past couple of years but I'd also have to put the 2009 Frozen Four and 2010 Final Four championship games up there. From a more "homer" standpoint, the Jackets' lateish season game in their playoff year against San Jose was a great night—OT win if I recall and Nationwide the loudest I'd ever heard it (though I only get to one or two games a year) and Hafner's walkoff a couple of years back against the Jays both have pretty fond memories for me—oh, and Game 4 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals this year.

As far as televised sports go, it's tough to beat Boise in the Fiesta Bowl. I'll also throw in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series (first sporting event I really remember well), the Texas Tech triumph over Texas a few years back (damn did I love Graham Harrell...), of course the 2012 Manchester City/QPR last day match, and on a "homer" note, Game 5 of the 2007 NBA Eastern Conference Finals and the "Bug Game" in the 2007 ALDS.

6fQjS3M.png

Like to add the Canada vs USA gold medal match in the 2010 Winter Olympics. Despite the wrong team winning lol

Right*

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

[Homer Picks]

MLB: Game 162 of the 2011 season

NCAAF: 2005 and 2006 West Virginia vs Louisville games

NCAAB: 2013 Final Four Louisville vs Michigan

NFL: Patriots vs Colts in the AFC Championship game

[Normal Picks]

MLB: Honestly games 3,4,5,7 of the 2001 World Series

NCAAF: 2011 LSU vs Alabama (Game of the Century part I)

NCAAB: 2008 Final Four Kansas vs Memphis

NFL: Super Bowl XLII Giants vs Patriots

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Homer Picks

NBA: Clippers' comeback in Game 1 at Memphis, 2012

MLB: The Rays' comeback win against the Yankees to get into the playoffs, 2011

NFL: 1994 AFC title game

NCAA Football: Fiesta Bowl 2007

Non-Homer Picks

NBA: Game 6 of the 2013 Finals

MLB: Red Sox vs. Orioles, Cardinals vs. Astros, Braves vs. Phillies 2011 (the "other" parts of the best night in baseball history)

NFL: Super Bowl XXXIV, Super Bowl XLII

NCAA Football: 1997 Rose Bowl

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

MLB- Games 4,5, and, I'll admit, 7 of the 2001 World Series. I was only six at the time and didn't fully understand the importance those games had on our nation, but man were they entertaining (Jeter's "Mr. November" home run, Paul O'Neill chants, Brosius game-tying HR, Gonzo's walk-off). Also at age six I had honestly thought that every MLB season ended with the Yankees winning the World Series so you can imagine the shock I was in for the next morning (I fell asleep in like the 7th inning, again I was six cut me some slack) when I found out that they had blown it.

NFL- Probably either Super Bowl XLII or XLIII. Both were incredibly entertaining games with great finishes.

NBA- Tough call but I'd say either game 6 of this years finals or game 7 of the 2010 finals.

NHL- Homer picks would be both game 7's that the Rangers won in last years playoffs over Ottawa and Washington, or even their game 6 loss to the Devils which was a well-played game that went to OT. Other picks would be game 6 of this years Final or game 7 of the 2010 Eastern finals.

NCAAF- Not really a huge fan but I went to the Notre Dame-USC game back in 2009 in South Bend where ND came back from a 20 point deficit to within a touchdown but couldn't score after a series of chances inside the red-zone to send it to OT. Also what I haven't seen mentioned is the 2005 game between those two was legendary (The Bush push).

NCAAB- Duke-Butler 2010. No doubt.

Oh this is a fun one.

I think in person I'd have to go with these two:

Game 2 of the 1999 Eastern Conference Finals: The only game in the series where the Leafs beat the Sabres. The ACC was electric that night, I don't think there has ever been a better atmosphere in that building and I've seen the Rock win a championship there and the most recent return of the Leafs to the playoffs.

March 7th and 14th 2012, LA Galaxy vs Toronto FC in the quarter-finals for the CONCACAF Champions League. I was lucky enough to go to both games actually, seeing as work took me to LA that month.

But the home leg for TFC was at the Roger's Centre with 47,000+ fans and just an amazing atmosphere. I think the buzz for TFC was at an all time high and luckily TFC drew LA in the semis as opposed to a Mexican team that most casual fans of north american soccer wouldn't know of.

The return leg was my first visit to the Home Depot Center and It was really cool to see TFC play there in my first visit. Of course, this was the complete opposite in terms of atmosphere, there was less than 10,000 (because the stadium is on a campus that has a weekday curfew, I later found out) and I had to leave early to pick up a colleague from the airport sadly. Still, it was really cool to go to both legs of the quarters and see TFC get to the forefront of the Toronto sporting scene, even if it was only for a short period of time.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Both of these in person.

Nfl: Tim Tebow in the 2011 wild card overtime win against the steelers. I'm not a broncos fan, but man that was exciting.

MLB: Not sure totally when this was, but it was Rockies vs. Cardinals at Coors Field. The Rox were down 9-3 entering the bottom of the ninth, and it started to rain. After a miracle comeback, the Rox batted through the order and Seth Smith hit a walk off, 3 run shot down the right field line. Glad I stayed for that one.

spacer.png

These games are far from being triumphant wins, but Nebraska had three last-minute, comeback wins in a 5 week stretch last year. Say what you will about Taylor Martinez, but he was clutch in those 2 minute drills. Last year's team gave me some of the most exciting (if not stress-inducing) games in recent memory.

-Wisconsin had a 27-10 lead before Nebraska scored 20 unanswered points in the late 3rd and 4th to win 30-27 (yes, I'm aware they later blasted us in the CCG).

-Northwestern was holding a 28-16 lead with 6 minutes left in the game and Nebraska scored 13 to win by a point.

-Michigan State had a 24-14 lead until Nebraska scored 14 in the final 7 minutes, include the game winner with 0:06 left on the clock.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

MLB: Not sure totally when this was, but it was Rockies vs. Cardinals at Coors Field. The Rox were down 9-3 entering the bottom of the ninth, and it started to rain. After a miracle comeback, the Rox batted through the order and Seth Smith hit a walk off, 3 run shot down the right field line. Glad I stayed for that one.

Haha. This was in early July 2010, and I remember this because the only reason I would've even been paying attention was because the Yankees were on the west coast at the time. In addition to that game, the Rockies overturned a 7-1 deficit the next night to beat the Cardinals again. Think it was Iannetta hitting a walk-off HR.

That was some Blake Street Bombers type 'ish that occurred on those two nights.

spacer.png

Haha. This was in early July 2010, and I remember this because the only reason I would've even been paying attention was because the Yankees were on the west coast at the time. In addition to that game, the Rockies overturned a 7-1 deficit the next night to beat the Cardinals again. Think it was Iannetta hitting a walk-off HR.

That was some Blake Street Bombers type 'ish that occurred on those two nights.

I remember that game well too. I went to sleep crabby because the Reds and Cardinals were in a heated race and I was angry at the Rockies for not helping us out. I woke up, checked the scores, and had a "uhwhaaaaaaaa?" moment.

Also, twice that season the Reds blew a 6 run lead in the 9th so it was nice to see someone else pull it off.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived