Official Petition Launched by Fans to Change US Soccer Crest

Conrad.

Article Link:

http://www.caughtoff...s-soccer-crest/

Petition launched through Change.org asks US Soccer to keep the ‘Centennial Crest’ for good.

New Jersey based fan of US soccer Tim Hall has created a petition on the world’s largest website its kind, Change.org, demanding US Soccer keep the Centennial crest as that of the USMNT from now on.

The new crest was introduced at the start of the year to celebrate 100 years of US soccer. As seen on the shirts worn by the players during recent World Cup Qualifiers, the logo is much simpler and bolder than US Soccer’s current crest, and strongly reminiscent of the American flag.

Petition link is here:

http://www.change.or...=share_petition

I'm unconvinced. I like it as a throwback, but it doesn't seem like it's quite right for full time; it feels incomplete, though I'm not sure what's missing. There's also a good chance that any crest would also be used as (or as part of) the symbol for USSF as a whole, so that would need to be kept in mind.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Simple isn't the problem - it's a generic shield, signifying the US but not necessarily US Soccer.

I'd rather see them do something like GeauxColonels' design:

ussoccerupdate.png

Maybe put "US SOCCER" on the ribbon instead.

Yeah, I would much rather have that one.

spacer.png

I wouldn't. I know it's unpopular, but I don't much care for the snake logo; I doubly wouldn't want it as a national team crest, seeing as how it was a Nike marketing creation.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Simple isn't the problem - it's a generic shield, signifying the US but not necessarily US Soccer.

ussoccerupdate.png

Hasn't the snake flag and that slogan been kind of co-opted by the Tea Party? Whichever side of that political arguement you fall on, its probably not a connection they'd really want to make.

Tea-Party-Flag.jpg

ussoccerupdate.png

I love this crest compared to the one that people are petitioning to keep.

spacer.png

ussoccerupdate.png

Doesn't Nike have the rights to this shield?

The snake, maybe. But that's easy enough to fix - draw a new snake.

Hasn't the snake flag and that slogan been kind of co-opted by the Tea Party? Whichever side of that political arguement you fall on, its probably not a connection they'd really want to make.

Tea-Party-Flag.jpg

Time to take it back, then.

They've tried to claim the American flag as theirs, too. But that doesn't belong to them any more than the Gasden Flag does.

I'm more concerned about this connection:

PhiladelphiaUnion_PRM_2010-9999.png

US+Soccer+Logo.jpg

I am in favor of anything that gets rid of this. Blue and white stripes and a red star background is horrible. Even if they just changed up the colors like I've seen in fan mock-ups, it would be tremendously better.

original.jpg

the recolored version is a lot better but it looks too much like the NFL shield. i am all for a new design for the US Soccer shield, to start the next 100 years...

US+Soccer+Logo.jpg

I am in favor of anything that gets rid of this. Blue and white stripes and a red star background is horrible. Even if they just changed up the colors like I've seen in fan mock-ups, it would be tremendously better.

original.jpg

Can we just lose the soccer ball. Or at least lose the 90s motion streaks?

I like the throwback crest and yes we are due for a change, but 13 stripes AND stars to represent the 13 colonies sounds kind of redundant. Why not stick with 13 stripes (since that is why the are on the american flag in the first place), but only 11 stars to signify each man on the field?

Zach.

The Centennial crest is alright as a throwback [if not oversized in that particular pic in the link], but if they wanted to adopt it permanently, they'd need to add some more features to it. I like the idea of the snake logo people have posted though.

I like the throwback crest and yes we are due for a change, but 13 stripes AND stars to represent the 13 colonies sounds kind of redundant. Why not stick with 13 stripes (since that is why the are on the american flag in the first place), but only 11 stars to signify each man on the field?

I was thinking the same thing. I don't mind the 13 stars, but some do, and that would be a good solution. I hate our current crest however and i love the centennial and would be more than happy to have that be our permanent crest. Someone did a mockup with it on our current kits and it was an upgrade imo.

Archived