2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And so, this board topic can now take a 2 1/2 week-long vacation...

Yup. In fact, I think it should be closed until the season resumes. Mods?

Why?

Just because they're not playing NHL games does not necessarily mean there won't be anything to talk about. The thread will fall and be resurrected as required.

Am I the only one that loves hockey but hates that the NHL shuts down for 2 weeks to partake in the Olympics? I care infinity billion more about the Stanley Cup than a gold medal. I'd take one Ranger cup over a million US golds.

No, you're not the only one. I rather be watching Ducks games every other night than having to wake up at 4:30 AM to get my hockey fix.

There's nothing in sports I would love more than an Oilers Cup, but seeing Canada win gold in hockey in the Olympics fills me with so much patriotic pride that the Oilers just can't compare to it. I'll watch as much Team Canada hockey as I can, and if they make the Gold medal game, I'll even skip school to watch it.

GO CANADA!

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

The Gold Medal Game is on a Sunday, so, well, can't really see why you'd have to skip school for that one. The challenge will be waking up at 5:30 MST to watch that game.

As for me, I know that a lot of Americans are against Canada and such, but as someone who has ties to Canada and also believes in North American solidarity, I will certainly support the movement towards another USA/Canada Gold Medal Game than anything else. Especially the Swedes. Psh, Victor Hedman isn't good enough to make their roster, gimme a break.

spacer.png

The Gold Medal Game is on a Sunday, so, well, can't really see why you'd have to skip school for that one. The challenge will be waking up at 5:30 MST to watch that game.

As for me, I know that a lot of Americans are against Canada and such, but as someone who has ties to Canada and also believes in North American solidarity, I will certainly support the movement towards another USA/Canada Gold Medal Game than anything else. Especially the Swedes. Psh, Victor Hedman isn't good enough to make their roster, gimme a break.

Ah. Didn't feel like checking when it was.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Knowing NBC (4:30am PST), they'd probably show informercials at that hour while replaying the game on primetime 15 hours later because PLANNED NBC DRAMA.

Then again, waking up at 9am to a hot, board topic (Winter Olympics thread) with everyone reacting to an American gold medal win would be a huge spoiler for me.

So here's to the internet...

Umm, no. NBC has always aired Gold Medal Games live; they air just about everything live on one of their platforms (at least I think they do on NBCOlympics.com) and the stuff that airs in primetime are compilations of what happened earlier in the day, obviously.

The 2006 Gold Medal game in Torino aired live on a Sunday morning.

Besides, in today's high internet age, I mean, in what world would there be a "drama" benefit for airing it on tape delay in primetime? Not only would our friendly Canadian neighbors already know the result (and probably troll us with it since the Canadians probably win that game), but it would KILL any buzz for watching it later, unless the 'Merks pulled a shocker.

Seriously, I have no clue where you come up with some of this stuff.

spacer.png

Besides, in today's high internet age, I mean, in what world would there be a "drama" benefit for airing it on tape delay in primetime?

I don't know, and neither does NBC. This, after the network tape-delayed the majority of Vancouver 2010 events for west-coast viewers, despite only a three-hour time difference. But NBC notoriously soups-up the human element of Olympic stories, and that mostly brings in the viewers for the primetime shows.

I still haven't forgiven those bastards for that.

You do realize that all of the hockey games, men's and women's, even the prelims, are being shown live on either NBCSN, MSNBC, or USA? I set my DVR for the upcoming week, so I know what's live and what's taped. And since they're happening in the middle of the night or early morning, all you have to do is not look at the internet as soon as you get up if you're taping the games.

NBC is showing basically everything live on all their channels (with certain things online) and then packaging/editing the premium stuff for primetime. And there are plenty of people that can avoid Olympic spoilers until then.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Am I the only one that loves hockey but hates that the NHL shuts down for 2 weeks to partake in the Olympics? I care infinity billion more about the Stanley Cup than a gold medal. I'd take one Ranger cup over a million US golds.

you're not the only one. I have no interest in the olympics and I don't care if the US wins the gold medal or the power metal. I generally ignore the olympics and watch something else until the NHL starts back up.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived