NBA 2013-14 Season Thread

TJKiddsHead

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NBA is once again overthinking something as simple as the freaking draft. How hard is it to just let the worst team have the first pick? "Tanking" teams aren't generally good enough to win very many games no matter what, so I don't see what the issue is.

They should try this before they do anything more drastic. It used to be this way, albeit not since 1965.

I never knew this, but in the early NBA, the draft order was worst-to-best. However, there was a "territorial pick," in which a team could give up their first round choice to take a local product. Local could mean college town or hometown. They did it to try to increase local interest in a new league. There are some franchises that could still use that kind of boost, and I wonder if that could work in some way. It could at least give small market teams a better shot at keeping star players.

The Charlotte Horncats preservation act in other words.

Never mind that Jordan and company would somehow :censored: that up as well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Christmas this year was an absolute embarrassment from start to finish, beginning with the unwatchable blowout losses by both :censored:ty New York teams and ending with one of the worst-officiated games I have ever seen in all my years as an NBA fan. Two straight Clippers games with bull :censored: undeserved ejections for one of our players. The front office should be raising holy hell with Stern and Silver right now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Christmas this year was an absolute embarrassment from start to finish, beginning with the unwatchable blowout losses by both :censored:ty New York teams and ending with one of the worst-officiated games I have ever seen in all my years as an NBA fan. Two straight Clippers games with bull :censored: undeserved ejections for one of our players. The front office should be raising holy hell with Stern and Silver right now.

Amen. At best that last call against Griffin and Bogut should have been personal fouls.

Very true. The Christmas games this year sucked for the most part. Some of the noted superstars were injured (Kobe, Rose, Carmelo), both New York City teams showed the world how pitiful the Eastern Conference really is, LeBron was allowed to disrespectfully taunt Laker fans and get away with it because King Stern will always coddle the Miami Heat Death Star hang onto the rim, nobody watched nor cared for Rockets-Spurs, and the Clippers-Warriors games had garbage elbow and flagrant calls alnight long (most prominently every call involving Paul in the last 2 minutes).

And this is all before addressing those stupid sleeved jerseys.

I kind of like the jerseys, but I don't get why the shorts are so baggy. They look so huge compared to the tops, it throws the whole thing off.

Plus, why was there a white-out at Golden State? I thought the crowd wearing the same thing was only a playoff thing.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

I kind of like the jerseys, but I don't get why the shorts are so baggy. They look so huge compared to the tops, it throws the whole thing off.

Plus, why was there a white-out at Golden State? I thought the crowd wearing the same thing was only a playoff thing.

The shorts are normal, but with the tight jerseys they look much bigger.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Um....

"Some people would say this is a rivalry, but I would say no because neither one of us and, I’ll say that again, neither one us has done anything to claim it to be a rivalry,” Warriors coach Mark Jackson said. “We are two teams trying to get to a place. It’s good old-fashioned basketball and playing with an edge.”

Rivers didn’t disagree with Jackson, who was traded to the Clippers in package deal for Rivers more than two decades ago.

“Both us are trying to become good teams,” Rivers said. “But neither team has done anything to have a rivalry, yet. But I do think it would be neat if we could create one by both us becoming great teams.”

Where did this idea come from? You have to "do something" to have a rivalry with someone? Is this something special that can only be bestowed upon certain teams now? I don't get it.

Um....

"Some people would say this is a rivalry, but I would say no because neither one of us and, Ill say that again, neither one us has done anything to claim it to be a rivalry, Warriors coach Mark Jackson said. We are two teams trying to get to a place. Its good old-fashioned basketball and playing with an edge.

Rivers didnt disagree with Jackson, who was traded to the Clippers in package deal for Rivers more than two decades ago.

Both us are trying to become good teams, Rivers said. But neither team has done anything to have a rivalry, yet. But I do think it would be neat if we could create one by both us becoming great teams.

Where did this idea come from? You have to "do something" to have a rivalry with someone? Is this something special that can only be bestowed upon certain teams now? I don't get it.

It's probably just typical coach-speak, but I do kinda get what they mean. Nothing's really happened yet, so to speak. They haven't run into each other with anything big on the line yet, it's just been regular-season games with a little extra bit of chippiness mixed in. It's a nice story, sure, but until they meet in a playoff series or a critical regular season game, it's not really a big deal.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Here's the one thing I've noticed: the "equal-weighed" drum system the NBA had in the 1st couple of years of the draft lottery was probably the best anti-tanking system the league had. It didn't matter what the team's records were, and there was no absoluteness in the worst team getting the #1 overall pick after sucking in the previous season. The current "record-weighed" ping-pong-ball system allows teams to suck intentionally to get a couple of more balls to be used in the lottery, increasing the likelihood of a good draft pick.

Ironic how the most (in)famous moment of the "equal-weighted" lottery was the whole, "the league bent the corner and froze the envelope because it wanted the Knicks to get Patrick Ewing" thing.

Yeah, just do that! 14 ping-pong balls in the hopper, roll them out in reverse order, THE END. So simple! So fair! It's actually compelling television to watch everyone's draft order get mucked up!

Funny how the people who love the Great New Ideas for fixing drafts are always, like, Vancouver Canucks fans and their NBA equivalent: the team that's never good enough to win a title but never bad enough to draft high, drafting between 15th and 20th forever. Wait a minute! That's the Bulls of the last ten years! OH NOOOOOOOOOO

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Don't they actually do the lottery in private and the results are simply recreated for television?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Maybe they should play Bingo for the top spot. Or try a Plinko board. Y'know, just to mix it up.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

I'd support "The Wheel" if it were an actual wheel that the GMs got up and spun.

EDIT: okay at this point I was going to post the Melody Roulette wheel from the old Name That Tune but then I looked it up on google image search and WHAT THE HOLY HELL

sonic__s_hosting_name_that_tune_by_germa

Why, though? Why? I don't, why? Why is Sonic The Hedgehog hosting it? Why? I've never been so WHY?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived