2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

That is odd. Even with new sets for this year, it's the old logo.

Only explanation I can figure out is that Majestic had a ton of blank jerseys in inventory with the old Majestic logo already on them and just used them when applying the names and numbers to the jerseys. They're using them all up before the new ones get used?

NpZIHvg.jpg

New-Oakland-Green-Jersey-2014.jpg

Go A's!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I notice the Rangers wearing their blue caps with their home unis. Anyone know if this is permanent? I hope it is, because the red cap with home uni didn't work at all.

They've always worn the blue hat as the main at home. :therock:

No. They switched to the red caps a couple of seasons ago. I don't think they wore the blue caps with home uni at all the last two seasons.

NS_30GROUP_26664625.JPG

Wrong. The blue caps with white is still the main home set.

mlb-rangers-yu-darvish-apjpg-1dd033bb797

Yesterday:

BkO2O9RIUAALsbW.jpg

I already said I noticed them wearing the blue caps to start the season. That's why I asked. The red caps with the home uni just doesn't look right to me.

I notice the Rangers wearing their blue caps with their home unis. Anyone know if this is permanent? I hope it is, because the red cap with home uni didn't work at all.

No. They switched to the red caps a couple of seasons ago. I don't think they wore the blue caps with home uni at all the last two seasons.

NS_30GROUP_26664625.JPG

Yesterday:

BkO2O9RIUAALsbW.jpg

I already said I noticed them wearing the blue caps to start the season. That's why I asked. The red caps with the home uni just doesn't look right to me.

No you also said they haven't used them at home at all the last 2 seasons, which is untrue, as shown by a couple other pics, namely that Lance Berkman one as he only played for the Rangers last season. They've worn red caps quite frequently the last couple years, but not all the time and by player choice whenever they do. There was never some official change. Blue has always been the official (since the switch to blue back in 2001, of course) and has been worn with the home whites each year. The red is still an alternate look.

NS_30GROUP_26664625.JPG

Yesterday:

BkO2O9RIUAALsbW.jpg

No you also said they haven't used them at home at all the last 2 seasons, which is untrue, as shown by a couple other pics, namely that Lance Berkman one as he only played for the Rangers last season. They've worn red caps quite frequently the last couple years, but not all the time and by player choice whenever they do. There was never some official change. Blue has always been the official (since the switch to blue back in 2001, of course) and has been worn with the home whites each year. The red is still an alternate look.

He posted a pic of yesterday's game, which was unnecessary because I already said I saw them wear it to start this season off. Obviously I was wrong to say they never wore it with the home uni the last two seasons. The wore the red caps a lot, and often times multiple games in a row. Never said they made an official change, but they wore the red caps with home uni very often.

I have so much to comment on having finally caught up with the thread but I'm mobile right now and have a question. I'm watching the Yankees at Houston and the ad at the backstop is in Japanese. Who do they have that they have Japanese ads? Or are the Stros just big in Japan for whatever reason?

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have so much to comment on having finally caught up with the thread but I'm mobile right now and have a question. I'm watching the Yankees at Houston and the ad at the backstop is in Japanese. Who do they have that they have Japanese ads? Or are the Stros just big in Japan for whatever reason?

Having Ichiro, and that new Japanese pitcher who I forget and was probably pitching tonight having Japanese ads makes sense.

The Rangers red hat looks awful, especially since they are in the same division as another red hatted team, the Angels. The red alternate jersey I dont mind as much but I feel that some blue should be added to the sleeve piping to mimic the standard home/road uniforms. They should wear a blue hat with red bill with the red jersey.

Having Ichiro, and that new Japanese pitcher who I forget and was probably pitching tonight having Japanese ads makes sense.

Err, they're in Houston, not the Bronx. When Matsui was a Yankee there were numerous Japanese brands advertised at The Stadium, and at least one Japanese-language ad on the wall that whole time. If Tanaka is successful I expect these things to return, as they disappeared after Matsui left. I don't know of any big Japanese celebrities on the Astros, though, especially considering how prominent the ad is.

Finally home, so, here's my response to all the things mentioned in the time I've been catching up...

Military Jerseys: It's understandable how one could consider them disrespectful, and why one could find them honorable. I personally think they're all right, but I wish they'd stick to one version and keep it (although that's kinda contrary to the marketing plan, which goes to show you how much honoring veterans is really a part of it). The San Diego Padres are a special matter, given the Marine base there and how much it effects the city and the people who live in it. It's a part of their culture, and I feel they have a measure of sincerity in it. I'd only like to see military alts from places that have a large military presence in their area, such as a Naval-centered version for the Orioles or an honoring of the Army for the Mets due to the proximity of Annapolis and West Point.

Foreign Language Jerseys: It's fine, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. One thing that is definitely unecessary is the addition of the "Los". I think the Brewers have the right idea here. The Mets, on the other hand... Mets is short for Metropolitans. Metropolitan in Spanish is "Metropolitano". They're still the friggin' Mets in Spanish. If your name translates, translate it. Let the Lakers change the name on the front to the Lageros, and keep the "Los" off of it. If your name doesn't translate, you can still have a Spanish heritage celebration. I was at the Latin Heritage Day at Citi Field last night. They announced the teams in Spanish. They did little videos about Latin American countries in between innings. They played Latin music. You can do all that and still have a Spanish Heritage Night without having to change the jersey at all. Heck, you can even have a special jersey for just that occasion, maybe an orange alt, but you don't need to add awkward words to a jersey that's already translated. As for who does them, if you have a large population of a certain people, there's no reason to not honor them. If your city doesn't have a large amount of a people, then it's kinda weird and pandery.

Red Sox Road Unis: Why don't they just put the T over the plack piping? They did it in the past, according to those old photos. The Astros do it. Then it wouldn't be lopsided and they can have piping. Seems like the easiest of fixed.

Giants Alternate Unis: I like it! I dunno why. I suppose the piping inconsistency can get to fans, and I haven't seen all four put right up next to each other, but this is the first time I've seen that script on the front of a uniform in real life... and I think it's gorgeous. So cool and slick.

Rangers' Caps: It's weird. When they went blue, it felt so weird. Then when they went red it felt so weird. They're uniforms really are kinda so well-balanced that it can fit with both when you get used to it. It would be nice if they made the lettering red for the red caps (how much would people complain of wasteful alts if they rolled that out, but I'd really dig it), but both kinda fit in their own way. A couple years ago, they started dabbling in Red because the people loved them, and they started doing it more frequently, even with blue socks. They're really an equally Blue and Red team, and I think having both sets and switching depending on the night/pitcher's preference and such would be fine if they had two whites.

Cardinal's Caps: Is it a special night, OR DID THEY GO BACK?!?! That's friggin' awesome. I spent all last year and the postseason lamenting the loss of the navy hat. You don't know what you got 'til it's gone.

And one last point that's my own. I created and have been stewarding the MLB uniform images for Wikipedia. A couple days ago I updated the league, could you guys lemme know if there's any changes I've missed? I'm in the process of adding the Phillies' patch, and I know I've got to add the Mets' Ralph Kiner patch (I didn't know what it would look like on the uni or which sets it would be on). Here's the set of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Major_League_Baseball_uniforms

spacer.png

spacer.png

Err, they're in Houston, not the Bronx. When Matsui was a Yankee there were numerous Japanese brands advertised at The Stadium, and at least one Japanese-language ad on the wall that whole time. If Tanaka is successful I expect these things to return, as they disappeared after Matsui left. I don't know of any big Japanese celebrities on the Astros, though, especially considering how prominent the ad is.

Well the back stop ads are just CGI on a green or blue screen so it wouldn't be that difficult to have a japanese ad for days when Tanaka is pitching and if you were watching the game from a Yankees broadcast it would show their advertisements not the astros in most cases

Correct. UNCOMMON is the term that should be used.

===

Was there a reason why the Red Sox decided to revert back to their old road set?

I don't think anybody in Boston liked the navy blue lettering, the reds were much more popular. Also there's the fact that the 09-12 was a period of vastly underachieving teams, the 2011 collapse, fan backlash, and Bobby Valentine, ownership was probably eager to do whatever they could to restore some of the old cheer.

I actually didn't mind the navy blues when they were briefly paired with navy socks/undershirts in early 2009. They clashed horribly with the red socks/undershirts though. Not unlike the Rangers' red-cap-on-blue-script-uniform disaster.

Well the back stop ads are just CGI on a green or blue screen so it wouldn't be that difficult to have a japanese ad for days when Tanaka is pitching and if you were watching the game from a Yankees broadcast it would show their advertisements not the astros in most cases

No they're not, the ads are really there. They're only CGI if it's a nationally televised game on ESPN or FOX, which this was not.

Correct. UNCOMMON is the term that should be used.

===

Was there a reason why the Red Sox decided to revert back to their old road set?

I don't think anybody in Boston liked the navy blue lettering, the reds were much more popular. Also there's the fact that the 09-12 was a period of vastly underachieving teams, the 2011 collapse, fan backlash, and Bobby Valentine, ownership was probably eager to do whatever they could to restore some of the old cheer.

I actually didn't mind the navy blues when they were briefly paired with navy socks/undershirts in early 2009. They clashed horribly with the red socks/undershirts though. Not unlike the Rangers' red-cap-on-blue-script-uniform disaster.

Well, they did end that era with a WS championship.

I really liked that old set with the navy socks and shirts. It actually made it look really nice. But of course, the complaint was that the Red Sox should wear red socks all the time, thus the forced change. Too bad, I really liked it. But I understood the reason to have red socks all the time.

7S2D3ha.jpg

Go A's!

Well, they did end that era with a WS championship.

The decision to change was definitely made before the 2013 season, probably shortly after or even during 2012. Last year was always going to be the final year of those uniforms.

It's for the better because if I was listening to a Sox road game on the radio or something I would habitually picture them still wearing their old (now current) road uniforms. The universe now feels restored.

Archived