2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

More MLB teams should do the hockey style captain's "C".

No, they shouldn't. The jerseys are becoming cluttered enough as it is.

I don't think there's much, if anything, baseball can learn from the NHL except in a cautionary-tale sort of way.

Also wouldn't mind seeing more teams utilizing a sock logo (like the Phillies blue Liberty bell on the red socks, that is if they still do it)

I'll agree with this one - most teams that wear solid-color socks would largely benefit from a discrete sock logo.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have so much to comment on having finally caught up with the thread but I'm mobile right now and have a question. I'm watching the Yankees at Houston and the ad at the backstop is in Japanese. Who do they have that they have Japanese ads? Or are the Stros just big in Japan for whatever reason?

Having Ichiro, and that new Japanese pitcher who I forget and was probably pitching tonight having Japanese ads makes sense.

Err, they're in Houston, not the Bronx. When Matsui was a Yankee there were numerous Japanese brands advertised at The Stadium, and at least one Japanese-language ad on the wall that whole time. If Tanaka is successful I expect these things to return, as they disappeared after Matsui left. I don't know of any big Japanese celebrities on the Astros, though, especially considering how prominent the ad is.

Well the back stop ads are just CGI on a green or blue screen so it wouldn't be that difficult to have a japanese ad for days when Tanaka is pitching and if you were watching the game from a Yankees broadcast it would show their advertisements not the astros in most cases
No they're not, the ads are really there. They're only CGI if it's a nationally televised game on ESPN or FOX, which this was not.
No it is cgi to not interfere with the pitcher, the same way there are no ads in the batters eye

I have so much to comment on having finally caught up with the thread but I'm mobile right now and have a question. I'm watching the Yankees at Houston and the ad at the backstop is in Japanese. Who do they have that they have Japanese ads? Or are the Stros just big in Japan for whatever reason?

Having Ichiro, and that new Japanese pitcher who I forget and was probably pitching tonight having Japanese ads makes sense.

Err, they're in Houston, not the Bronx. When Matsui was a Yankee there were numerous Japanese brands advertised at The Stadium, and at least one Japanese-language ad on the wall that whole time. If Tanaka is successful I expect these things to return, as they disappeared after Matsui left. I don't know of any big Japanese celebrities on the Astros, though, especially considering how prominent the ad is.

Well the back stop ads are just CGI on a green or blue screen so it wouldn't be that difficult to have a japanese ad for days when Tanaka is pitching and if you were watching the game from a Yankees broadcast it would show their advertisements not the astros in most cases

No they're not, the ads are really there. They're only CGI if it's a nationally televised game on ESPN or FOX, which this was not.

No it is cgi to not interfere with the pitcher, the same way there are no ads in the batters eye

Cardinal's Caps: Is it a special night, OR DID THEY GO BACK?!?! That's friggin' awesome. I spent all last year and the postseason lamenting the loss of the navy hat. You don't know what you got 'til it's gone.

If I understand correctly, they only wear the navy caps when they are on the road against a team that wears red caps. They did this last year, as well.

Wonderbread - please tell me your multi-posted comment is sarcasm.

What does the pitcher need to concentrate on? How would an ad interfere with the pitcher? Are the fans sitting behind the catcher and umpire CGI too?? Because that would be just as distracting as an ad. The hitter needs a batter's eye to pick up the ball and the spin. The pitcher doesn't need such assistance...because he's throwing the ball, not being thrown at.

Most ads are actually there. If the wall is blank in real life, it is so it can accomodate numerous ads...it has nothing to do with the pitcher's concentration. It's obvious if it's CGI or not. Plus most ads are off-center, not in the straight line-of-sight of the battery.

Side note - Do I need to post this 5x too??

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

More MLB teams should do the hockey style captain's "C".

Also wouldn't mind seeing more teams utilizing a sock logo (like the Phillies blue Liberty bell on the red socks, that is if they still do it)

Captain's in hockey (and having it denoted on the jerseys) serve a purpose. There is no purpose for it in baseball.

I notice the Rangers wearing their blue caps with their home unis. Anyone know if this is permanent? I hope it is, because the red cap with home uni didn't work at all.

They've always worn the blue hat as the main at home. :therock:

No. They switched to the red caps a couple of seasons ago. I don't think they wore the blue caps with home uni at all the last two seasons.

NS_30GROUP_26664625.JPG

Wrong. The blue caps with white is still the main home set.

mlb-rangers-yu-darvish-apjpg-1dd033bb797

Yesterday:

BkO2O9RIUAALsbW.jpg

I already said I noticed them wearing the blue caps to start the season. That's why I asked. The red caps with the home uni just doesn't look right to me.

No you also said they haven't used them at home at all the last 2 seasons, which is untrue, as shown by a couple other pics, namely that Lance Berkman one as he only played for the Rangers last season. They've worn red caps quite frequently the last couple years, but not all the time and by player choice whenever they do. There was never some official change. Blue has always been the official (since the switch to blue back in 2001, of course) and has been worn with the home whites each year. The red is still an alternate look.

He posted a pic of yesterday's game, which was unnecessary because I already said I saw them wear it to start this season off. Obviously I was wrong to say they never wore it with the home uni the last two seasons. The wore the red caps a lot, and often times multiple games in a row. Never said they made an official change, but they wore the red caps with home uni very often.

You can just go here if you want to see how much they wore it.

http://www.sportslogos.net/uniforms/list_by_team/201377_2/Texas_Rangers_2013/

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

I'll agree with this one - most teams that wear solid-color socks would largely benefit from a discrete sock logo.

Is there much history of this?

The Twins did it in the 1980s

And carried it on for a while after the update...this photo is from 1991

I don't know when it started and I don't remember when it ended.

As a kid I thought the Twins were unique in this respect, but maybe some other teams (aside from Phillies) did it too?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Another reason why the Cubs terrible new gray uniforms are stupid

BkT_vJgCcAAaE_I_zps7a5707ff.png

Also, I thought these were alternates? This is the third game of the season and the third time the Cubs have worn.

and that front number is laughably small. There's not a thing about these jerseys that is a good idea or well executed.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Is there much history of this?

The Twins did it in the 1980s

294.jpg

And carried it on for a while after the update...this photo is from 1991

kirby-puckett2.jpg

I don't know when it started and I don't remember when it ended.

As a kid I thought the Twins were unique in this respect, but maybe some other teams (aside from Phillies) did it too?

The Angels did it briefly in the late 80s/early 90s, and I know the Rockies did it in their inaugural season of 93 but I don't know if they still do it or not.

I'm on my Droid right now, otherwise I'd search for and post pics of examples.

The Rangers also changed the button on their blue hat from red to blue, and the button on their red hat from blue to red. I wonder why?

Before (left), after (right, and bottom).

Derek-Holland-Texas-Rangers.jpg481894831_8.jpg?w=328pMLB2-17627620dt.jpg

Good!

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived