The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

Despite all of the advances in Chinese manufacturing technology, there is something about the simple American block font that just eludes them. Seriously, is it THAT hard?

...but notwithstanding the LOL-inducing jerseys posted here, a lot of the websites linked to from here manage to produce replicas that appear bang-on to about 99% of the sports-watching population.

Not a counterfeit, but my friend posted this pic of himself at the Hockey Hall of Fame. You'd think they'd get the name font right.

426890_10150692028071233_690321232_11495106_213478804_n.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I have a quick question for those who are on the Pro-Buying-Fakes side of this argument, especially with regards to NFL jerseys. What's the appeal of buying them over the $75 replicas? Is it 100% the fact that the fakes are cheaper, or is the authentic look just that much preferred over the replica look?

This is for research purposes for my Sports Law paper. As mentioned before, I'm writing a law school paper on counterfeit jerseys, and I plan to have a so-called "Reasons people buy them" section. I'm not actually going to quote anyone, but I just want the general feeling.

99%20Wayne%20Gretzky%20Navy%20Jerseys.jpg

Kill. It. With. Fire.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I have a quick question for those who are on the Pro-Buying-Fakes side of this argument, especially with regards to NFL jerseys. What's the appeal of buying them over the $75 replicas? Is it 100% the fact that the fakes are cheaper, or is the authentic look just that much preferred over the replica look?

This is for research purposes for my Sports Law paper. As mentioned before, I'm writing a law school paper on counterfeit jerseys, and I plan to have a so-called "Reasons people buy them" section. I'm not actually going to quote anyone, but I just want the general feeling.

I'll use NFL as an example beacuse that where it seems to be bad:

I think knockoffs are populare because people are pissed off with Reebok. Reebok charges $80 for a jersey where the logos, numbers, and stripes are screen printed. You could also get an authentic jersey for $250. Then, there are the Chinese made jerseys which are meant to be the equivalent to an authentic. They may be knockoff, but for the most part it looks accurate and everything is nicely embroidered and go for $20-60. Which would you buy?

I think knockoffs are populare because people are pissed off with Reebok. Reebok charges $80 for a jersey where the logos, numbers, and stripes are screen printed. You could also get an authentic jersey for $250. Then, there are the Chinese made jerseys which are meant to be the equivalent to an authentic. They may be knockoff, but for the most part it looks accurate and everything is nicely embroidered and go for $20-60. Which would you buy?

Not to mention there's rumors of Nike upping the prices on NFL replicas when they take over for Reebok in April. Over $100 for a replica is bullsheet.

spacer.png

The licensed product if I had the available funds. If not maybe I'd get a t-shirt/sweat shirt or two of my favorite team.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Not to mention there's rumors of Nike upping the prices on NFL replicas when they take over for Reebok in April. Over $100 for a replica is bullsheet.

If the logos numbers and striping are embroidered, I would be okay with that price.

The licensed product if I had the available funds. If not maybe I'd get a t-shirt/sweat shirt or two of my favorite team.

Yes

Right. I think the problem lies in the fact that the vast majority of the sports-apparel-purchasing population is ignorant to the devil in the details. They just go "Oh, it's so cheap because it comes right from the overseas supplier," or "it's a great deal on eBay," and they don't notice the difference in details or quality, no matter how glaring we jersey nerds may find it. I have a friend who bought several baseball jerseys from a bootleg site, and he had me take a look at them. I pointed out the inaccuracies in design and construction I saw, but they were things he - and probably 99% of the non-obsessive public outside of this board - wouldn't notice.

The problem here is on several fronts. Jersey prices keep spiraling upward at a time when most people's paychecks are not, the jersey is now seen as an "essential" accessory of sports fandom in a way it wasn't 10 or 20 years ago, and teams and leagues (except for the Canadiens) haven't gotten out in front of this. They haven't marketed directly to fans to explain why that $50 jersey on eBay isn't "worth it", and seem to be ignoring the revenue problem that's filling their arenas nightly.

I don't think the average consumer is like loogodude, who is just Hard Trollin' at this point. But many are ignorant to the problem, and I think teams and leagues need to do a far better job addressing it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If the logos numbers and striping are embroidered, I would be okay with that price.

Me too, but because I'm a cynic I think they'll still be screen-printed.

spacer.png

That's yet another glaring error in the counterfeits.

The numbers aren't and haven't ever been embroidered. In fact, the only thing that's embroidered on an authentic jersey are if the team has a logo on the sleeve or chest.

99%20Wayne%20Gretzky%20Navy%20Jerseys.jpg

Kill. It. With. Fire.

POTD! POTD! POTD!

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.