The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

t6Pbd.jpg
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

And a fantastic article about knockoffs by Jeff at LeafsHQ

http://leafshq.com/2012/06/29/your-fake-jersey-is-awful/

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

http://www.weiketrade.com is your best bet. I bought a Crosby and Michael Jordan jersey. Good weight and feel to them. They're durable in the wash and everything. I've gotten mass compliments on them and comparing them to my real jersey, you can't really tell the difference.

Jerseys looks good but prices aren't written or I can't see them :/

7995incib9612594.png

Galatasaray

Phoenix Suns

Green Bay Packers

Best part of that article:

But I cant afford a real jersey!

This is an awful argument.

First off nobodys forcing you to buy a jersey. Owning hockey jerseys is an optional additional support of your team, not a requirement.

Secondarily, if you look around, its not hard to get a deal. I have a collection that would have people questioning my sanity, yet the most expensive item in my collection cost me $90. Sites like eBay and Craigslist are gold mines if you dont mind buying used. Stores have clearance sales all the time, especially in the summer. Dont mind getting a traded player? Youre golden! Those hit fire sales. The Schenn jersey used in this article was purchased for less than a fake, brand new, at RealSports Apparel after the trade.

Even if youre too good to wear used or a former player, or hunt for sales, theres still better options. By a t-shirt or a sweater for ~$30 and still support the team on the front, the player on the back, and not do it in a way that looks ugly and supports uglier business.

Besides, almost anybody I know who uses this argument (anecdotal evidence, I know), tends to have stacks of these knockoffs. Wouldnt having 1 or 2 legitimate jerseys be better? The idea of having a collection of them is a new concept anyway, its not like youll be wearing them on a daily basis (if youre most people).

Lastly, buying a fake is far from a frugal option, seeing as they have absolutely zero resale value. While you lose a ton of value on a new jersey just by wearing it, youll still get a solid chunk back throwing it on eBay. If you buy one used and sell it again later, odds are youll get your money back. A fake? Good luck selling it.

Im not harming anyone by buying these fakes!

Not quite. Knockoff jerseys are usually made in your stereotypical horror-story, near-zero wage sweatshops, right next to your fake shoes and other counterfeit goods. Adding more fun to the equation, the ones making these jerseys and often the ones selling them are frequently involved in organized crime. Thats never fun.

Youre also directly siphoning money from the league by not getting licensed gear. This isnt a big deal if youre buying Leafs stuff, because heaven knows the Leafs have enough money, but you see people wearing knockoff Coyotes, Devils, Islanders, and other suffering teams gear and it suddenly makes sense why these teams are in bad shape. They could at least be slightly better without it.

You also take away from local business by importing these straight from China but thats a different can of worms all together.

In Conclusion?

When push comes to shove, a $50 jersey thats just like the real thing seems like a deal thats too good to be true. Thats because it is when you look at the small details, the quality of the gear youre purchasing is several steps down from a legitimate product even if youre getting the replica instead of the pro authentic. In fact, the replica is usually the smarter option for the average consumer, not needing the on ice hockey technology that the authentic adds. The fakes, though? Theyre shoddy, cheap, and lazy efforts by shady people trying to make a buck off of others success. If you cant afford a new, in store jersey, youre best suited either waiting for a sale, going second hand, or getting other merchandise all together. Or perhaps just sticking it out with what you have doesnt everyone in the city already have a drawer of this stuff?

At the end of the day, I must admit that it doesnt matter that much. Youre still showing off your fandom of your team. But the concept of it being a pro authentic at full retail or a knockoff, with no middle ground, cheaper way, or alternative to a jersey is more than a little odd, and the thought that what youre getting is spot on is even more so. By all means, if you still feel knockoffs to make sense, all power to you. But its not as cut and dry as its made out to be.

A special thank you to Real Sports Apparel for supplying the Clarke MacArthur pro authentic jersey used in this comparison. Check them out for your Leafs gear needs located outside of the Air Canada Centre in Maple Leaf Square, or their website at RealSports.ca

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

http://www.weiketrade.com is your best bet. I bought a Crosby and Michael Jordan jersey. Good weight and feel to them. They're durable in the wash and everything. I've gotten mass compliments on them and comparing them to my real jersey, you can't really tell the difference.

I'm not one for basketball jerseys, but these appear to be the same fake hockey jerseys we see on ebay, and the majority don't even have the correct shades of colours on them.

untitled-6.jpg

No. Awful, just awful.

177295.jpg1772920.jpg

The titled head makes him look like a dog when whose just heard a high pitched sound.

untitled-6.jpg

That site also has the Selanne 13 current Jets uniforms. Definitely a counterfeit site. In addition it appears like the Fitzgerald jersey has 2 different shades of red.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

That site also has the Selanne 13 current Jets uniforms. Definitely a counterfeit site. In addition it appears like the Fitzgerald jersey has 2 different shades of red.

He didn't claim it too be real, he just said they were the best counterfeit site, and if that's the best there is than yuck.

untitled-6.jpg

No. Awful, just awful.

177295.jpg1772920.jpg

And there's this....

185509.jpg

Woah! You think I'm Cody? My name is Carl Scott Simone and we just happen to share a birthday. BIG DEAL.

The part where he talks about the horrors of Chinese sweatshops is a good point. Seeing that most Chinese factories would, by North American standards at least, be considered sweatshops, I trust that Jeff at LeafsHQ has thrown out his phone and anything he has that was acquired at a mall or big-box store seeing that those things were most likely made in a Chinese sweatshop too.

Seriously, anyone who thinks that licensed sports merchandise is made by happy unionized Chinese employees working 37.5 hour weeks with regular coffee breaks is downright deluded.

If you're that concerned about sweatshops, there is an awful lot of stuff you'll have to give up besides counterfeit jerseys...

And they make a great point in exposing the foolishness of everyone who buys knockoffs as an investment with the intention of reselling them in the future. Me, I save money by leasing jerseys instead.

Geez, its supporting an illegal industry, no more, no less..leave it at that. Spare us the smarmy sermon about it being worse than murder just because this particular grey market is a pet peeve.

The part where he talks about the horrors of Chinese sweatshops is a good point. Seeing that most Chinese factories would, by North American standards at least, be considered sweatshops, I trust that Jeff at LeafsHQ has thrown out his phone and anything he has that was acquired at a mall or big-box store seeing that those things were most likely made in a Chinese sweatshop too.

Seriously, anyone who thinks that licensed sports merchandise is made by happy unionized Chinese employees working 37.5 hour weeks with regular coffee breaks is downright deluded.

If you're that concerned about sweatshops, there is an awful lot of stuff you'll have to give up besides counterfeit jerseys...

But the difference is "real" jerseys are produced in factories that have regulations and most of the companies make sure that its a "working wage" in that country. They have that countries regulations that they work with as well as their own internal ones which in some cases are stronger than individual country regulations.

The counterfeit jerseys on the other hand don't pay attention to intellectual property laws or other laws so why would they pay a working wage. Frequently they are operations for organized crime for both profit and laundring. I"m not saying all of them but many of them are.

You see the difference right? Its not that "real" jerseys are produced under the same regulations as the US, nothing is produced that way and thats why we don't have manufacturing in this country anymore. But its the fact that at least "real" jerseys obey the laws of the land that they are produced in while the counterfeits don't even do that.

For those that are debating buying a $30-$40 knock off or the $100 replica jersey I will put it to you like this.

The quality of the material on the knock offs are just as good if not better than the replica. Nike makes all of their products in third world countries just like the bootleggers but unlike the bootleggers they have a high overhead to cover with licensing, advertising, and endorsement deals. Also, while you can tell a knock off from an authentic upon close inspection you can spot the "cheap" replica a mile away.

I LOL'd

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

For those that are debating buying a $30-$40 knock off or the $100 replica jersey I will put it to you like this.

The quality of the material on the knock offs are just as good if not better than the replica. Nike makes all of their products in third world countries just like the bootleggers but unlike the bootleggers they have a high overhead to cover with licensing, advertising, and endorsement deals. Also, while you can tell a knock off from an authentic upon close inspection you can spot the "cheap" replica a mile away.

I LOL'd

If I'm not mistaken I'm thinking this guy is on here just to promote that site that he is likely employed by, or runs himself. If they are of higher quality than the licensed ones then why on earth not charge more? It is better product after all no? I'm also pretty sure you don't need close inspection to see that the colour of a jersey is incorrect, or that the logo is 10 times to big.

untitled-6.jpg

I LOL'd

If I'm not mistaken I'm thinking this guy is on here just to promote that site that he is likely employed by, or runs himself. If they are of higher quality than the licensed ones then why on earth not charge more? It is better product after all no? I'm also pretty sure you don't need close inspection to see that the colour of a jersey is incorrect, or that the logo is 10 times to big.

This one takes some close inspection to spot any differences. Clearly better than anything legit the NHL has ever produced. (If you look very carefully, you might be able to spot a slight mistake)

666flames.jpg

1565c5f744f9b907379787f5ff80.jpg?w=400&h=300&crop=1

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I LOL'd

This one takes some close inspection to spot any differences. Clearly better than anything legit the NHL has ever produced. (If you look very carefully, you might be able to spot a slight mistake)

666flames.jpg

I LOVE the Ɔalgary Flames!

qvAvG.jpg

666flames.jpg

Hmmm...

3_hours_later.jpg

The lest sleeve is missing a number! upside.gif

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12