I'm gonna watch the game because I love college basketball and I'm not the type to ditch a championship just because I don't like the teams playing, but this has to be one of the least appealing games for an outsider possible. And UConn is hardly the white knight in this game. We're talking about a major conference team that screwed up their academics so bad they got a postseason ban. They don't exactly have the cleanest track record in recruiting either

As far as I've read (and I may have this wrong), they got punished mostly for a mixture of players who transferred away from the University and contributed very little, if anything, to the program on the court and players who didn't earn their degree or sign a pro contract by the end of their eligibility -- so guys like Jeff Adrien who had to attend school the following summer to earn his last few credits. Considering it takes the average student some five or six years to earn a Bachelors Degree, I don't think their suspension from the postseason suggests the academics at the school were in complete disarray as you make it sound. If anything, it suggets that they might not have been just giving guys BS degrees or passing them through fake classes like I'm sure a lot of other schools do (UNC).

Yeah, the APR sucks because its a really poor rubric for measuring academic performance. The APR's flaws are exacerbated when applied to basketball, which has a small roster pool to work with.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised Kentucky, with its constantly revolving door to the NBA, hasn't flirted with APR sanctions yet. I guess they forge spring semester homework or something for the basketball team.

I may be mistaken, but I think APR deals with the entirety of the sports department, not just singular sports. I was wondering about this too, how a team depends a lot on one-and-done players can avoid these graduation rules.

I don't think so. UConn's Women's Basketball program was never suspended from the postseason.

From what I've read, teams are not penalized for players leaving early for the NBA as long as that player was in good academic standing while he attended the school. With the UConn situation, what makes it sort of a joke is that one of the players that counted against UConn Men's Basketball's APR was a player that had poor grades, was rules academically ineligible to play for the basketball team, and then transferred. In that situation, what more can the school do? It's not like they were trotting the kid onto the court to play.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the oddest ending to a close basketball I've ever seen.

I was going to post about that as well. It honestly just didn't feel right. Kentucky put themselves in a tough spot by letting UConn run the clock down to about 25 seconds.

Also, I was a little nervous for the UConn Men's Basketball program a few years ago, between Calhoun retiring, the situation with the Big East and ending up in the AAC, as well as the whole postseason ban but the payoff is pretty damn sweet!

IUe6Hvh.png

Congratulations to UConn for their 4th NCAA title in the last 15 years, 3rd in the last 10, and 2nd in the last four.

And thank God for them beating Kentucky, as the Wildcats were approaching the levels of the St. Louis Cardinals and New York Giants.

It was kind of like the most recent World Series we had; a team with recent riches (Red Sox and UConn) defeats an obnoxious and hated team who gets lucky in the playoffs (Cardinals and Kentucky), in a game/series where we could all care less who wins at the end because the title game/series is between two title-rich teams.

Congratulations to UConn for their 4th NCAA title in the last 15 years, 3rd in the last 10, and 2nd in the last four.

And thank God for them beating Kentucky, as the Wildcats were approaching the levels of the St. Louis Cardinals and New York Giants.

It was kind of like the most recent World Series we had; a team with recent riches (Red Sox and UConn) defeats an obnoxious and hated team who gets lucky in the playoffs (Cardinals and Kentucky), in a game/series where we could all care less who wins at the end because the title game/series is between two title-rich teams.

The Rex Sox aren't an obnoxious and hated team who gets lucky in the playoffs? :P

Not last year.

Last year they mostly got lucky in the regular season.

IUe6Hvh.png

The Rex Sox aren't an obnoxious and hated team who gets lucky in the playoffs? :P

For the last World Series just played, they were the lesser of two evils, as the Cardinals have an infamous track record of creating nightmares out of dream seasons for woe-be-they teams, like the Pirates and Nationals.

But this is a college basketball forum, so...

Archived