Good uniform matchups that DO NOT feature Original 6 teams

habsfan1

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good god I am dying for the day that the Oilers bring back their navy and copper look. So much better than the blue and orange. So much better.

Agreed. IMO, their current look is too bright and way too '70s. Just because Reebok ruined their awesome '90s uniforms with needless half-striping and Bettman piping in the switch to the Edge template doesn't mean the Oilers look good now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

There's way too much orange on the Oilers dark uniforms. Reversing the orange with white on the numbers would help a lot. So would losing the orange on the bottom part of the sleeves.

The road uniform has the correct ratio of blue to orange and they look good. I don't know what to do about the problem of the orange yoke on the blue jersey, but that probably has to stay so they don't end up looking even more like the Islanders.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Good god I am dying for the day that the Oilers bring back their navy and copper look. So much better than the blue and orange. So much better.

Agreed. IMO, their current look is too bright and way too '70s. Just because Reebok ruined their awesome '90s uniforms with needless half-striping and Bettman piping in the switch to the Edge template doesn't mean the Oilers look good now.

Disagree. The Oilers look like THE OILERS now. When you win FIVE Stanley Cups in a uniform and boast a littany of HoFers who donned that look, that's sort of going to be your "look" for good. A bright color scheme isn't dated, unless your talking about a fad color like teal or something.

Was never a fan of the "darkening" that teams like the Oilers, Islanders, Flames, etc. went through in the late 90's/early 2000's. All those uniforms became derivative. Navy blue is almost as bad as black in many cases.

Eh, the navy and copper and pointless salmon red look was just a product of the 90s trend of needlessly darkening everything. The royal blue and orange look just screams "Oilers" to me. The navy and copper look was like a weird diversion.

Regardless of why they changed, if anything screams "Oilers" it's dark, grimy colors like navy and copper. Orange and blue screams Gretzky.

They scream Gretzky, the greatest player who ever lived who played on one of the greatest teams ever assembled. That's enough to make the colour scheme scream "Edmonton Oilers" to me. More so then a colour scheme that may make more sense from a literal perspective.

Disagree. The Oilers look like THE OILERS now. When you win FIVE Stanley Cups in a uniform and boast a littany of HoFers who donned that look, that's sort of going to be your "look" for good. A bright color scheme isn't dated, unless your talking about a fad color like teal or something.

Was never a fan of the "darkening" that teams like the Oilers, Islanders, Flames, etc. went through in the late 90's/early 2000's. All those uniforms became derivative. Navy blue is almost as bad as black in many cases.

I think that it's not a great thing they look like their 80's teams, because this is a different team, and they're never going to be as good as they were in that era, and pretending they're that team isn't going to make them successful. Throwing back to the Greztky-Kurri-Messier-Fuhr-Coffey-etc. era also comes with the pressure to be as good as them. It's also why I agree with Dallas Eakins' decision to get rid of all the 80's paraphernalia and reminders of the 5 cups in the dressing room.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Are the Canadiens wrong to wear the same basic design the great Habs teams of the past wore? Are the Yankees wrong to continue to wear pinstripes? After all the current Yankees team is a different team from the 1961 squad.

No and no. The 1980s defined the Oilers and that's the look they should carry forward. Anything else just looks "off." Maybe I'd feel different if they had managed to win the Cup in 2006, but they didn't. They lost to the G-ddman Carolina Hurricanes. There's really nothing to the navy and copper set as a result. Some underwhelming playoff years and one disappointing run to the Finals surrounded by a lot of mediocre to bad hockey. Not something worth remembering.

Are the Canadiens wrong to wear the same basic design the great Habs teams of the past wore? Are the Yankees wrong to continue to wear pinstripes? After all the current Yankees team is a different team from the 1961 squad.

No and no. The 1980s defined the Oilers and that's the look they should carry forward. Anything else just looks "off." Maybe I'd feel different if they had managed to win the Cup in 2006, but they didn't. They lost to the G-ddman Carolina Hurricanes. There's really nothing to the navy and copper set as a result. Some underwhelming playoff years and one disappointing run to the Finals surrounded by a lot of mediocre to bad hockey. Not something worth remembering.

Fair points all around, and I realize the foolishness of trying to argue with Ice Cap, but I'll give it a go. A team should not bring back a look just because of memories and past success. It's not the same as the Yankees and Habs, because they're not keeping the same classic look forever, they're rebranding from a great look to an outdated look from the teams glory days.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Fair points all around, and I realize the foolishness of trying to argue with Ice Cap, but I'll give it a go. A team should not bring back a look just because of memories and past success. It's not the same as the Yankees and Habs, because they're not keeping the same classic look forever, they're rebranding from a great look to an outdated look from the teams glory days.

I'd argue that look isnt out-dated at all. There's no dated feature to that uniform. If anything the navy/copper look was dated (not to meniton derivative and drab) because it was part of a uniform trend that was prevalent in the late 90's when bright colors became "bad"

Archived