2014-15 Soccer Kits & News (too early? nah)

Conrad.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Isn't ManU's kit sponsor changing to Chevy next season? Why are those training tops still Aon?

2. Excellent research on the Columbus Crew concept, but ultimately disappointing. Would not like to see those logos at all.

3. That's a big step back for Liverpool's home kit. Looks like its 10 years old with all the random lines and piping on it.

4. The collar on the Houston appears to have baby blue in it, which would be nice to see after virtually disappearing in recent years.

Lots of news today!

So Everton finally get rid of that horrendous kitbag deal where they saw zero profit from merchandise sales.

EDIT: No they have not. That deal* remains in place until 2019 apparently. Just a switch to Umbro shirt designs. Living in the dark ages.

*Kitbag pay Everton around £3m a year to control all merchandise operations (and therefore take the sales). Spurs have averaged around £10m turnover on related sales in the past few years, just to put things into perspective.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Yeah I saw that Crew redesign this weekend. Scrolling down I was completely on board, then I got to the logo and was like "that's it?" It looks like a biohazard sign

Ultimately, I drew a similar conclusion, maybe due to my work experience--but all I kept seeing were hazard placards.

That piece IS, however, an excellent case study in identity development, and I felt a little bit more knowledgeable about the process after reading it. He made a great case for building the bones of that identity system--the colors/checkered flag-diamond thing/hard hat/warning sign symbolism are all sound and solid. (Aside: that word "system" as it relates to particularly sports design is one I think gets lost on a good number of people both in and outside the game, because a system encompasses more than just a primary logo--although that's usually the most visible piece, it's just that, a piece of a larger whole, however concise or expanded that may be, and as such can be quite difficult to develop, especially once one factors in the many different applications of any and/or all parts of a system, not to mention how they all fit together.)

As much as I enjoyed that read, I felt the execution wasn't quite there in the end. Maybe a splash of some of that gray/white might've helped (he barely used any), or maybe a bit more of a disctintive typeface or at least type treatment, (that DIN definitely didn't do it for me). Wonder if he'll look at possibly making some edits to that at some point...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Willis' direction and thought process for the Crew is spot on. he gives an excellent preview of what the design process is like and emphasizes the most important parts of design; the emotional and communicative.

i really like the concepts he came up with, but they need to be pushed a bit further. i don't think he spent a lot of time on those and more time is just what they need. he is absolutely on the right track, just not yet at the destination

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Would be a sharp look, if true, (but I don't think any big nike team the same templates for clash kits as the main kits, the shorts look like a PS of the 12/13 shorts and the socks are not nike's top level socks.):

BftvhzUIEAArxE8.jpg

And a better quality fake here that is more in line with the long-rumored new shirt (but has wrong authentic tag - which along with dri-fit logo is too high - and old style vent holes):

900x900px-LL-ebd66e58_6bacf28d_7389fef4-

Archived