NBA Changes 2014-15 Season

Conrad.

I hate sleeves, but at least the Suns actually do something with them.

Phoenix-Suns-Gray-2-590x295.png

Yes, but they went and put that awful S logo on them.

The Suns baffle me. I actually like their current uniforms. But why on earth did the recolor the logo black and orange with no purple only to keep purple in the color scheme and have their road uniforms be purple? I mean I'm glad they kept purple, it just doesn't make sense.

Their best logo is the PHX ball with the flames making a silhouette of a phoenix.

9329_phoenix_suns-secondary-2014.png

I like the previous one better but that's still nice.

Yeah I agree that's their best logo. I originally liked the first version of that logo better but after a while it started to look outdated.

My theory is that they initially wanted to transition away from purple completely based on their new primary, the "S" secondary and the court design, but there was such a backlash from the fans that they decided to keep it in. Perhaps they were originally planning to have the current road unis with black instead of purple.

sQl5vne.jpg

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's sad is that I honestly think the photoshopped black pic looks better. The purple jersey screams "Last-minute addition to prevent major backlash". They obviously didn't intend for purple to stick around in the new identity, like you said.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I thought we had it as fact that purple was a last-second change.

Yeah this is almost universally recognized as last minute change. Remember the home court came out a year early and they had the uniforms ready to go but the league said they were too late. So they had to wait another year.

They introduced the black 90s throwbacks as a segway to the new uniforms. Specifically the black ones and not the purple.

dudley_hardwoodclassic_300.jpg

84c21ef884c600fc6ba7699e73c41a60.jpg

These still are better than the current IMO

shado_logo.gif

What I find fascinating about those jerseys is just how vibrant they are, despite the heavy use of black. Nowadays it seems like when teams use/add black, they pay very little attention to how well their other colors (if they even use any...) work with black, and make little effort to actually take advantage of the benefits of using/adding black.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I actually like the current road unis a lot. So were they planning on cutting out purple entirely or just using it as a third color for trim?

Judging be their court, and uniforms, I bet they planed to move away from purple entirely.

Because of the fan uproar I think purple will manage to stick around, as it should. At the same time, from eveything I've read it seems like most Suns fans despise the current ownership group and there is no doubt in my mind they wanted to eliminate purple entirely.

I thought we had it as fact that purple was a last-second change.

Yeah this is almost universally recognized as last minute change. Remember the home court came out a year early and they had the uniforms ready to go but the league said they were too late. So they had to wait another year.

They introduced the black 90s throwbacks as a segway to the new uniforms. Specifically the black ones and not the purple.

dudley_hardwoodclassic_300.jpg

84c21ef884c600fc6ba7699e73c41a60.jpg

These still are better than the current IMO

Why wouldn't they go with orange streaks every opportunity they got on the new set? Any other color makes little to no sense.

I've gotten use to the idea of Orange/Black at home and Orange/Purple on the road. It is no doubt an identity crisis but it does take advantage of both of the Suns brand images. I am glad that silver is on their logo still, and I don't mind these every once in a while, but they need to completely overhaul the jersey itself before wearing another gray uniform.

As for the rest, I'd just as soon they go with Orange or White for Home and then Purple or Black Away. That's four different jerseys but each one has its own brand.

The thing that bothers me most is the logic behind this. Let's put "Los" or "El" in front of it and BOOM. It's spanish. Brewers did it right in the MLB with their languages ("Bierbrauer" for the win!), so it should not be too hard for NBA teams to follow suit. Knicks do it best with the Nueva York script.

The thing that bothers me most is the logic behind this. Let's put "Los" or "El" in front of it and BOOM. It's spanish. Brewers did it right in the MLB with their languages ("Bierbrauer" for the win!), so it should not be too hard for NBA teams to follow suit. Knicks do it best with the Nueva York script.

In Latin America, the Heat are still known as the Heat, or as you see, El Heat. Dwyane Wade doesn't play for El Calor.

http://www.nba.com/heat/heat-en-espanol-0

Though it would be interesting to see the Lakers pull off the simplistic, shortened translation for Lakers: Los Hombres de los Lagos.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived