Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

In a way, the huge logo works for the Bucs if you think of the Skull & Swords as the logo, and the flag as a backdrop.

Exactly. It works for me -- the idea of LARGER logos works as far as I'm concerned, and it's a far sight better than the new JAX logo/helmet. And I'm really likin' the new ship secondary logo...

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is awful. They should completely done away with the pewter, it is one of the worst colors ever introduced into the NFL. Oh well, very boring and just plain ugly.

You might be the only one who thinks this. Pewter and red are a strong compliment to the Buccaneer theme.

Every actual Buccaneers fan (not logo fan like the people posting here) hates the helmet and colors.

Buccaneers fan from 1984. You are wrong.

Bucs fan dating to '78. You are definitely wrong. I'm liking the logo, helmet AND the colors.

Okay this is going to come off weird.

But after seeing the logo on an actual helmet with lighting present...I like it MUCH more than I originally thought.

With that said, I am starting to dislike the wordmark now...seems maybe a bit too plain? That previous screenshot here of the newscast kind of made it look really dated and vanilla.

To me the logo is a wash. The skull looks worse, the other elements maybe slight upgrades. But the size of the stupid thing is clownish. Trust me, in 5 to 10 years, people will look at pictures of this giant logo and say, "oh, yeah, remember those?" Like the Jags two-tone mess, its so 'cutting-edge" it'll look dated by nest year's play-offs.

Same with a silly chrome facemask.

My random thoughts...

* Surprisingly, the size of the logo really doesn't bother me.

* The skull, crossed swords and football on the flag all strike me as being rendered in too modern a style. The crude rendering of those items in the old logo lent itself to what struck me as being a more "authentic" depiction of a flag that a 17th or 18th century pirate might use. My gut instinct is that I would have simply left the design of those items alone, but if team management felt they absolutely had to be updated, I'd have split the difference between the two extremes.

* It may seem a minor point, but I really miss the angled vertical line that defined where the flag made contact with the inner edge of the sword blade.

* Aside from the too-modern rendering of the elements I spoke of above, the new ship logo is outstanding.

* It may have been due to the fact that the helmet was being displayed under a plethora of studio lighting, but the Pewter has, to my eyes, been lightened too much. It came across as a shade of Silver, rather than a unique metallic hue. If true, that would be a significant disappointment.

* The chrome facemask looks like fecal matter. I'm NOT a fan.

* The wordmark is a wash. Legibility has been improved, but much - if not all - of the old font's "swashbuckling" feel has been lost.

Had the Buccaneers split the difference on the modernization of the skull, swords and football on the flag, maintained their unique shade of Pewter (fingers crossed that they have), and stuck with a Black facemask, I'd be giving this a thumbs-up. However, as it stands, I'd say that the Buccaneers have managed to snatch a downgrade from the jaws of possible improvement here.

To me the logo is a wash. The skull looks worse, the other elements maybe slight upgrades. But the size of the stupid thing is clownish. Trust me, in 5 to 10 years, people will look at pictures of this giant logo and say, "oh, yeah, remember those?" Like the Jags two-tone mess, its so 'cutting-edge" it'll look dated by nest year's play-offs.

Same with a silly chrome facemask.

I kinda don't like when me and you agree on something..but I feel the exact same way...especially with that silly chrome facemask...leave that crap in college.

spacer.png

Archived