Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

2 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

As a non-follower, what was the issue with him?

He's a Spanish referee and he can be a bit of a character in La Liga games he officiates. He definitely doesn't shy away from letting games get a bit loose, which is wonderful for atmosphere but can also leave fans and players of both teams very frustrated. Personally, I get a kick out of him.

• Like 2

spacer.png

42 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

As a non-follower, what was the issue with him?

He lets teams beat each other up. That appears to be what Iran is known for doing.

40 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

As things stand, it means a Date with the Dutch on Saturday.

Wouldn't it be something for the Americans to beat the Ultimate Bridesmaid?

I think that may be one of the better matchups of the round.  England vs Senegal may get ugly quick if they play like they did in the second half. 

1 minute ago, Sport said:

Holy moly I was certain the refs were going to screw us in the last minute. 

Same. I don't even know why they looked at a handball on Ream. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Way way way too nervy there. Gregg again, had the perfect starting lineup, perfect first half, and then the subs at the end nearly ruined it. Don’t understand going into a 5-3-2 there at the end, but it worked. 

Hope Pulisic and Sargent are okay to go! We need Pulisic Saturday. Hopefully we finally see Reyna too. Going to need him especially if Pulisic cannot go. 

Don’t expect to beat the Netherlands but let’s just go for it and see what happens!

• Like 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Happy with the 1-0 result, though the US should've had another goal. I was skeptical that we could sit on that lead for an entire second half.

The Round of 16 match against the Netherlands should hopefully be a good test. Overall, I'm glad that we got out of the group stage for once. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BrySmalls said:

Overall, I'm glad that we got out of the group stage for once. 

Going to nitpick here, but the US have only failed to get out of the group stage once this century (2006). This is the 3rd straight WC we've gotten out of the group stage and 4th out of the last 5 WC's that we've qualified for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Going to nitpick here, but the US have only failed to get out of the group stage once this century (2006). This is the 3rd straight WC we've gotten out of the group stage and 4th out of the last 5 WC's that we've qualified for.

That's a fair nitpick. To be fair, those past advancements have never been in convincing fashion as it came down to goal difference (2014) or winning their final match (2010 and 2022).

Guess what I really wanted to say is that I hope one day that the US convincingly wins in the group stage so we don't have to worry about tiebreakers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BrySmalls said:

That's a fair nitpick. To be fair, those past advancements have never been in convincing fashion as it came down to goal difference (2014) or winning their final match (2010 and 2022).

Guess what I really wanted to say is that I hope one day that the US convincingly wins in the group stage so we don't have to worry about tiebreakers.

I'm with you there. This team has the talent to do so. With a better coach this team easily advances. Hell, had Zimmerman not made that awful mistake against Wales, the US qualifies tied with England on points. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I'm with you there. This team has the talent to do so. With a better coach this team easily advances. Hell, had Zimmerman not made that awful mistake against Wales, the US qualifies tied with England on points. 

Candidly, I've been lukewarm on Berhalter previously, but I think he's done well gameplanning this World Cup and I am failing to see the obvious egregious mistake he's made at all in the World Cup. They gave up zero goals from open play with a goalkeeper who was (gasp) MLS until 5 months ago and (double gasp) went to noted global football powerhouse Fairfield U. Three games against stout opposition, zero losses, the only goal was a penalty kick off an individual dumb decision. 

I feel good about this team's chances against the likes of the Netherlands, not that I'm going to go out and bet $1000 on a USA win. Gakpo has been tremendous but I don't know that anyone else in their attack has been, and this is the strongest American defensive unit I've seen in my memory (already ready to declare Adams as their man of the tournament).