• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every stadium/arena that has a corporate name. Nothing is sacred in sports anymore. All about the Benjis!

The Great Western Forum was a pretty good corporate name for a sports facility. Not all of them were/are bad.

Wrigley Field, Great American Ballpark are some other good ones.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Every stadium/arena that has a corporate name. Nothing is sacred in sports anymore. All about the Benjis!

The Great Western Forum was a pretty good corporate name for a sports facility. Not all of them were/are bad.

Technically, Wrigley Field was named after William Wrigley (then owner of the Cubs), not the company.

Chesapeake Energy Arena is pretty bad IMO, I was going to say jobing.com too, but that's too obvious I guess.

I find it odd that a company named "Chesapeake Energy" is not headquartered somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Chesapeake Energy Arena is pretty bad IMO, I was going to say jobing.com too, but that's too obvious I guess.

I find it odd that a company named "Chesapeake Energy" is not headquartered somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic region.

That was part of what I though too, maybe some energy pipeline connected into Oklahoma? I don't know. It's not like their a huge cross-country business like say, Pepsi or Staples.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

America West Arena was a pretty cool name for Phoenix.

This arena name is also pretty good:

Staples_Center-logo-DB90846ACC-seeklogo.

Jobing.com Arena, though maybe it's because including .com in an arena name is tacky.

Could be worse, it could be O.co...

the exterior is awesome, and the inside is great for a mid-level DI team.... But the name, woof.

you can hardly see it in the picture, but the Jenny Craig Pavilion.

Jenny_Craig_Pavilion1.jpg

Well considering it's named after a person and not a corporation I've got no problem with this one. Jenny Craig provided the funds to build it, so it's named after her. That and it's led to one of the better nicknames in sports, the Slim Gym.

Are there examples of corporate names switching to non-corporate names? Rich to Ralph Wilson stands out, but are there others?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

America West Arena was a pretty cool name for Phoenix.

But now with the Merger between American Airlines and US Airways, the rumored name is the American Airlines Center

Edit: Oh add in University of Phoenix Stadium

Are there examples of corporate names switching to non-corporate names? Rich to Ralph Wilson stands out, but are there others?

There's plenty of examples of temporary changes while venues are in-between sponsors, but that's the only example of a long-term switch that I can think of.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Canadian Tire Centre sounds like I should go get my tire pressure checked.

KFC Yum! Center is pretty bad too

Yeah, KFC Yum! Center has to be the worst.

Also, O.co Coliseum is pretty ridiculous.

Just about every time I see O.co I think to myself "why is a stadium named after an emoticon?" until I realize it is Oakland county.

its actually named after O.co which use to be overstock.com

Anaheim Stadium to Edison International Field of Anaheim to Angel Stadium.

Actually if you go around the park, the Edison logo is still on the end of some of the aisles.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I never knew it was a corporate name until I was in Los Angeles and saw a Great Western bank.

As a Penguin fan, I really wish another company had gotten naming rights.

It's not the name of the arena, but that "Welcome to Comcast Country" sign in Philadelphia's Wells Fargo Center is pretty dumb.

Totally. It's not like Comcast doesn't have enough signs outside of the arenas, what with their studios there, and the giant "welcome to the comcast complex" (or something like that) at the entrance of each of the parking lots, and the big-douchy "xfinity live!" bar complex right outside.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's not the name of the arena, but that "Welcome to Comcast Country" sign in Philadelphia's Wells Fargo Center is pretty dumb.

It was better when it was the FU Center

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived