Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

Look, I'm not going to argue about whether that should've been reviewed or not. But, even if it had been, the original call on the ice was no goal and there is absolutely no evidence to conclusively prove that it was a goal.

Furthermore, there were still, what 6-7 minutes left in the 3rd period? Tampa Bay had one of, if not the most potent offense in the NHL that season and it is incredibly disingenous to assume that they had no chance of getting an equalizer even if Gelinas had conclusively scored a goal there.

I'm sorry, of course it would appear that I'm biased, but I will never be convinced about the whole "Calgary screwjob" people want to drone about there.

spacer.png

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Flames fan myself, I get really annoyed whenever that "goal" comes up in discussion. The fact of the matter is, you can't conclusively prove that the puck went 100% past the line; of the half-dozen or so replay angles there is only one that seems to show the puck over the line, and even that one is at a bad angle, so it doesn't really prove anything.

C'mon guys, it's not superstition, it's not a conspiracy, it's just bad luck. Simple as that.

So the guy who thinks 9/11 was faked also thinks sports curses are real.

Huh.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Just got of 2004 a week ago. Way to bring up bad memories. :P

Also I'd bet the farm. If that was a goal, nothing was beating Kipper that night, well only Marty but that was double OT.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Can I retroactively nominate this post for POTD?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

TorenK92, I have seen the CGI footage you posted many times and I'm not convinced at all. If you ask me, that animation is nothing more than the NHL covering their ass after either a ridiculous blunder or a royal screwjob. They even say on the video themselves that they made certain "assumptions" about the puck but that's not even the point. The point is there was zero review for a potential cup-winning goal. They didn't even give it a second look and the game just carried on like nothing happened. I have never seen anything like it before or since.

Too big of a coincidence. Especially the denver thing.

It's part of a curse that the province of Quebec couldn't afford to throw money at an arena?

No, its part of the curse that they won the Cup immediately after leaving town. Maybe it was a huge coincidence, my gut just tells me no. Especially when coupled with everything else Mr McSorely Curse outlined.

Oh....

I remember you.

Schizophrenia.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Part of me also wants them to fail to continue the Curse of Marty McSorley for all of Canada to suffer forever.

You care more about this "curse of Marty McSorley" then anyone in Canada. Truth be told I'm pretty sure you're the first person I've ever see, on the net or in real life, who has referred to it as a curse.

Oh c'mon. Is it really all just coincidence of what has happened to teams from Canada since those 1993 Habs? 0-5 in Cup Final series for all Canadian teams since then, including four Game 7 losses. The relocation of the Nordiques to Denver and two Stanley Cups within a 5-year period for the Avalanche. The Martin Gelinas goal no-call. Dwayne Roloson's knee injury. The Chris Phillips own-goal. The Vancouver riots.

You really don't believe that there is any superstition at all to explain this pattern of short-comings over the past two decades?

REALLY?!? Oh my gosh! Seriously?!? The McSorely curse? Abraham Lincoln once said, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." Okay, as a Kings fan for more than 29 years, let me explain something to you, so you get it right. The McSorely curse was on the Kings, that is what it was to some morons. The curse was not on the Canadian teams. Now here's the real kicker, and I realize this is going to ruin your whole world and your whole life, but there was/is no curse. Get this through your skull, if you can't even get a curse correct, don't even try. Here's the thing, you're not ready for the adult table and the adult conversation, it's time for you to go back to the kiddy table and drink your milk. Oh, and you get no dessert, because you were rude and interupted the adult table. Now go!!! Oh and take that stupid countdown off your sig. Stop trying to prove your a Kings fan, you're not.

As a Kings fan for at least 21 years myself, let me add to oddball's comment. If there was such a thing as a curse, it had nothing to do with McSorley. If you want to blame someone for a hex, the finger gets pointed directly at Bruce McNall.

VmWIn6B.png

It's not the Curse of Marty McSorley. It's the curse of the playoff format. Everyone talks about the Canada Cup drought of 1993, but many forget there was a time when American teams couldn't win the Cup.

In the 1982-1993 divisional format, Canadian teams won 8 of 12 Cups. There was a time when American teams could not win the Cup- 7 straight years and 8 of 10 taking into consideration the Penguins 1991-1992 run. Hell, we had TWO all-Canadian Cup Finals- and it could have been more (Montreal in 1984-1987, Quebec in 1985 could have joined Edmonton in the Finals.

1994-2011: well, IceCap gave the details. But those years were also in the 1-8 conference playoff era.

This year, they alter the playoff format and look who has home-ice in the East Finals- Montreal!

No, Morgo is a 9/11 truther and fluoridated-water fearer. He might also be a vaccine skeptic and Holocaust denier. I'm not gonna bet against it, I'll tell you that much.

Just read Morgos posts regarding 9/11 and dear God, how do people still believe crap that has been debunked?

It's like believing 1 + 1 = 3.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

See what happens when we don't have a game to discuss?

One of the biggest buffoons on the boards writes a four paragraph diatribe on a curse that doesn't exist and that conversation goes on for two pages. What about the "Curse of Isaih Thomas"? The Raptors have never been past the second round and the Grizzlies moved out of Vancouver! A Canadian team hasn't won an NBA championship since 1994!

Here's why Canadian teams have had a difficult time competing since 93:

economics as previously mentioned. The teams might have been able to afford a few big names, but they were at a tremendous disadvantage when it came to luring free agents. Also, the league was without a salary cap until 2005. In those days the big spenders were (usually) the big winners.

The 94 Canucks, 04 Flames, 06 Oilers, and 07 Senators were all underdogs without home ice. The Flames and Oilers making the finals was a miracle in and of itself. They weren't supposed to win anyways. The 2011 Canucks had home ice but were dominated in goal differential by Boston. That the series even went to 7 games is weird to begin with.

Now that the Canadian dollar is stronger, there's a salary cap, and they've added a 7th team it's become easier for Canada to compete, but it's almost like the disadvantage has shifted from not having enough resources to being a place where each market is too impatient to wait through a rebuild or way too high pressure and it scares players away (Rick Nash wouldn't touch his home town Maple Leafs with a ten foot pole during his free agency discussions. For example)

There's a lot of reasons for this drought, none of them due to Marty McSorely, who is a Canadian himself by the way. He's not a voodoo witch doctor that can impose curses on an entire nation.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Now that the Canadian dollar is stronger, there's a salary cap, and they've added a 7th team it's become easier for Canada to compete, but it's almost like the disadvantage has shifted from not having enough resources to being a place where each market is too impatient to wait through a rebuild or way too high pressure and it scares players away (Rick Nash wouldn't touch his home town Maple Leafs with a ten foot pole during his free agency discussions. For example)

To me, one of the great tragedies of the NHL. They pay the freight while teams in obscurity flourish under low pressure. It's no surprise that Rick Nash would beg off playing under high expectations. If he were any more of a coaster, he'd have a beer can on his head. Great players should rise to the occasion, not mumble something about how so-and-so is a good place to raise a family.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

One thing I've never understood about curses is who can do them and who can't. I mean, Sianis was just a business owner, not a practicioner of voodoo. The Black Sox were just a bunch of greedy bastards, whose actions are nowhere near justification for 88 years without a World Series title. Not to mention the fact this McSorely curse punishes the people who didn't do anything wrong. Just to show the lunacy of these things, I'd like to see every team in the four major leagues place a hex on every other team, just so we can see which curses are the strongest and give sports journalists have a free narrative come feature time.

Why people give any credence to these things, like growing playoff bears for example, is beyond me. These things are passe and nothing more than soft news.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Archived