2014 NBA Playoffs

GraysonColtsBoy

While I applaud Rivers for going after the officials I can't help but think that it's not a smart move. I don't trust NBA officials to not take that verbal thrashing as just cause to screw the Clippers out of the next game and their season. I mean they're not the Lakers. They don't get breaks.

I wouldn't say that just yet. Putting on my tinfoil hat, in light of the Donald Sterling headlines I wouldn't put it past the league to do so for ratings.* That, or more gradually as the Clippers gain (and retain) relevance (think of the ratings for "The Battle of LA!!!"). This is the NBA--who IMO pretty blatently altered the outcome for Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals in order to secure a seventh game--after all.

You should really read that grantland article about that Kings-Lakers series. I posted the link a few pages back, but I'll post it again.

http://grantland.com/features/2002-western-conference-oral-history-los-angeles-lakers-sacramento-kings/

It really makes you think about what really happened.

IMO, I don't believe the NBA actually threw the game for the Lakers. I believe that the officials made some pretty blatantly terrible calls (in the article, one the refs actually talks about it and the mistakes he made) going against both teams throughout the whole series. People like to point to that Game 6 and shout, "conspiracy I tell you!!" but they conveniently forget about Game 5 of that series where the refs made some terrible calls in the final minutes which directly led to the Kings win.

Referees are human and will make mistakes. That series, and the end of Game 5/all of Game 6 was the worst officiating in NBA history. But, it wasn't a conspiracy to get the Lakers in the Finals.

And on topic, the Clippers were screwed on that call. Again, not a conspiracy, but that was a bad call.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I applaud Rivers for going after the officials I can't help but think that it's not a smart move. I don't trust NBA officials to not take that verbal thrashing as just cause to screw the Clippers out of the next game and their season. I mean they're not the Lakers. They don't get breaks.

I wouldn't say that just yet. Putting on my tinfoil hat, in light of the Donald Sterling headlines I wouldn't put it past the league to do so for ratings.* That, or more gradually as the Clippers gain (and retain) relevance (think of the ratings for "The Battle of LA!!!"). This is the NBA--who IMO pretty blatently altered the outcome for Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals in order to secure a seventh game--after all.

You should really read that grantland article about that Kings-Lakers series. I posted the link a few pages back, but I'll post it again.

http://grantland.com/features/2002-western-conference-oral-history-los-angeles-lakers-sacramento-kings/

It really makes you think about what really happened.

IMO, I don't believe the NBA actually threw the game for the Lakers. I believe that the officials made some pretty blatantly terrible calls (in the article, one the refs actually talks about it and the mistakes he made) going against both teams throughout the whole series. People like to point to that Game 6 and shout, "conspiracy I tell you!!" but they conveniently forget about Game 5 of that series where the refs made some terrible calls in the final minutes which directly led to the Kings win.

Referees are human and will make mistakes. That series, and the end of Game 5/all of Game 6 was the worst officiating in NBA history. But, it wasn't a conspiracy to get the Lakers in the Finals.

And on topic, the Clippers were screwed on that call. Again, not a conspiracy, but that was a bad call.

Game 6 was totally jisted for the Lakers, but not for the reasons most people think.

The Kings-Lakers rivalry was getting more intense, more personal, more physical. It quickly became the 1st match-up for the NBA to harness in the post-Jordan era. Any chance to extend this particular series will bring more viewers in over the length of the series, which means more basketball interest and advertising revenue for the league's bottom line.

The NBA really didn't care who survived that 2002 West Final series, so long as the series was extended to its maximum. I'm willing to bet that had, in Game 5, Bibby's eventual game-winner was missed or Kobe's potential game-winner was made (which would give the Game 5 win to LA, giving them the 3-2 series lead), the Lakers would have been the ones royally screwed in Game 6. The NBA wanted a Game 7 of this series, no matter how it'd be conjured, and got its wish.

And for those who said that "the NBA wanted the Lakers because a Kings-Nets series would be unfathomable to the league's bottom line," the ratings for those 2002 Finals were the lowest in the NBC era of hosting the NBA and were matching-up with the 1981 Finals (Celtics-Rockets) as the worst-viewed of all time. The real NBA Finals that year was Kings-Lakers; nobody would ever give New Jersey a realistic chance in hell against either of those teams. Once the West Finals ended, everything else was just an afterthought.

If the NBA did feel threatened by the Kings, it surely could have told the officiating crew to end the West Finals in 4 or 5 for the Lakers. Because we all know that if the NBA loves the Lakers because they're the Lakers, then "they have to win all the time."

Take out Durant and Westbrook, and OKC might as well be the Pelicans.

After that awesome first round, what a freaking letdown.

Same old Durant/Westbrook tandem, same old Spurs, same old Heat., same Pacers.

I really wanted to see LAC or POR or WSH break through.

Instead, same old crap.

Basically, the teams everyone predicted would make the Final Four.

I feel like I wasted 6 months watching basketball to get to this point.

Same old Durant/Westbrook tandem, same old Spurs, same old Heat., same Pacers.

I really wanted to see LAC or POR or WSH break through.

Instead, same old crap.

Basically, the teams everyone predicted would make the Final Four.

I feel like I wasted 6 months watching basketball to get to this point.

The NBA is the most predictable because its playoffs reward superior teams instead of "hot" teams almost every time.

Portland and Washington DID break through. They're young teams with bright futures. Those teams don't just advance to the Finals on their first attempts.

They are now what OKC was in 2010. But by the time they're ready to advance to the conference finals and beyond, they'll be "the same old crap," right?

PJU85JF.png

Well, t'was a good run. Plenty of highs, plenty of lows. Of course, I do wonder if this was the best chance to make a run the Wizards'll have for years. I could see potentially six teams in the East better then them if nothing drastic rosterwise changes (i.e. Miami stays together, Lance Stephenson and Indiana can come to an agreement)

Miami and Indiana-obviously

Chicago and Atlanta- if they both get their stars back healthy (Rose and Horford)

Toronto-Raptors were on a mid-50s winning pace after they traded away Rudy Gay

Pistons-Godzilla might be coming out in a week or two, but the real monster to watch'll be Andre Drummond coached by Stan Van Gundy

Maybe It's DC Sports Syndrome, but I just don't know.

Anyways, it sucks to see Ibaka out. Steven Adams has shown some good stuff, but he is still a rookie in the Conference Finals, and I think more people would trust Kendrick Lamar to have a big game then Kendrick Perkins. Perkins had negative win shares last postseason, and he was starting.

The Pacers are going to beat the Heat in 6 games?

Oh wait, this is the guy that had the Colts trading up for the #1 pick isn't it? Nevermind, you just keep doing what you do, sir.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Pacers are going to beat the Heat in 6 games?

Oh wait, this is the guy that had the Colts trading up for the #1 pick isn't it? Nevermind, you just keep doing what you do, sir.

Update: Dammit

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yeah, Pacers aren't winning another game in this series.

twitter

Can we all just sit back, take a break from the usual Heat drama, and appreciate what the Spurs are doing yet again? Sure, Ibaka's out, but really, how many expected this type of throttling? It'll be a sad thing to see when the Spurs franchise has to start over post-Duncan/Ginobili/Parker/Pop.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Archived