High School Football Uniforms 2014

hailstateunis

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a look at some of the helmets in the Alabama High School Athletic Association and the Alabama Independent Schools Association. Some of them are last year's designs

ZC9VWMs.jpg

The white helmet with the knight helmet? It's Northside Methodist Academy, and I graduated from there. They started football last year and got their first win the other day. The decal is way smaller than the one pictured--although I wish it were that big--and the uniforms are plain, but not bad for a new program. I don't have a picture of them, though.

High school football went into full swing last night in Louisiana. Here's probably one of the best looking match-ups in the state last night, East St John Wildcats (public) versus Archbishop Rummel Raiders (private):

15779774-standard.jpg

What the what? Since when did the Steelers get demoted to the high-school level?

And the team name is the Wildcats??

Yep. It's the alma mater of infamous #1 overall HS recruit Ryan Perriloux. They had a pretty stable look for years with the same helmet:

larry-dauterive-playerjpg-4b0e97468981af

After their longtime coach retired, they've gone through a number of looks:

-e085d67203fbd343.jpg

ESJ_Jared_Jackson_vs_DHS_2012_567_378_c1

Here's them at the beginning of last season....

esk_week_1_a_538_375_70auto_c1_c_t.jpg

And this is what the "Wildcats" looked like by the end of the season...

-674a339b767f27dc.jpg

gYH2mW9.png

Any idea on the reason for the tape?

The tape is there to keep chin straps buckled. Especially with buckles that have been used a season +, they have a tendency to pop off mid-play on the high strap. That helps to keep them on and subsequently avoid penalties for players not having a chinstrap buckled/losing a helmet and having to sit a play.

...that's what we did when I coached in a pinch, anyway.

There are a couple of easy solutions out there. You could go 90's old school and drill a small hole through the strap then replace the snap with a screw or simply purchase some of the newer permanent chin strap holders which hold the chin strap into place either as a one piece snap on or screw in. Tape would only be necessary in the most rare of situations.

20140906_lamar1_ecs.jpg

20140906_lamar3_ecs.jpg

The Elkins Knights have a lot of weird things going on this year. They can't decide which gold is theirs, including having two different shades on the helmet. That's weird enough, but having wings on the jersey makes no sense to me. The Knights...with wings..hmm.

They took on Houston ISD's Lamar Texans last friday. Lamar had been named Redskins until this season.

960x540.jpg

Here is how they looked when Jake Matthews went there.

I remember hearing once that Millard North's tape on the helmets was to signify that all the players are equal and part of the team. Hear me out, some times in practice when coaches are getting to know their players they put tapes on the helmets with the names of the players on them.

Once the players become more known the tape comes off, I always thought the tape served as a reminder that they still have something to earn, a mentality of we need to improve every day, game.

SLSIG_zps58784cd9.jpg

Ozen Panthers (Beaumont, TX)

628x471.jpg

against the West Brook Bruins (Beaumont, TX)

628x471.jpg

My old school Port Neches-Groves Indians (TX)

628x471.jpg

Facing West Orange-Stark Mustangs (TX). They had their new grey uniforms on. They just kept getting darker and darker with sweat.

628x471.jpg

Hamshire-Fannett Longhorns (TX)

628x471.jpg

Team in grey are the Lumberton Raiders (TX)

628x471.jpg

Memorial Titans (Port Arthur, TX) at Ozen Panthers (Beaumont, TX)

628x471.jpg

West Orange-Stark Mustangs (TX) at Little Cypress-Mauriceville Battlin' Bears (TX)

628x471.jpg

West Brook Bruins (Beaumont, TX) blue uniforms

628x471.jpg

Clear Lake Falcons (TX) at Port Neches-Groves Indians (TX)

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

-674a339b767f27dc.jpg

What genius came up with the idea to put bengal tiger stripes on a wildcat's head? Good lord.

Aren't tigers a type of wild cat?

Not sure if you were kidding, but yes, tigers are wild cats, but that's not the same as "wildcats" (one word). Wildcats do have stripes, but they're not as distinctive as those on tigers. Maybe I overreacted a bit, though. :P

Archived