2014 NFL Season Thread

While it wouldn't have applied to this week, I generally feel like there's no reason MNF can't be a flex candidate if given sufficient notice of change, and it's ridiculous that 6-4 Pittsburgh vs. 2-7 Tennessee is a MNF next week while 7-2 Detroit vs. 8-1 Arizona is basically buried.

I should be careful with this idea, though, because this is where my rampant idealism kicks in. Just gonna say that stuff like that, where days of game change, happens all the time in Europe with their domestic football games. They seem to manage just fine.

Can't count ok hotel s being available for a different day (fans and team), can't screw up any previously scheduled Monday team activities (depending on what they are - could be charity appearances or something) and really can't hose fans that simply cannot attend Monday.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patrick Willis to miss the rest of the season for the 49ers. Ugh. They get Smith back and eventually Bowman but now lose Willis. I'm calling this season a wash and it's time to look toward 2015. Yeah they have a chance to make the playoffs if the go on a run. 6-1 in their last 7 games. Anything worse than that they miss the playoffs.

A "glorified stat-padder" would've stayed in for more than one series in the second half.

What was it, 45-0 when Rodgers left the game? That's like two games' worth of stat-padding in just over one half. There was no way he was going to stay in the game. You can't say that game was representative of any sort of larger trend or orthodoxy. It was a black swan of crap.

How exactly are we defining "stat padding" here? Most of Rodgers' statline (18 for 27, 315 yards), is fairly pedestrian by his standards. The 6 TDs might not be "orthodoxy," but not exactly unheard of for him... especially considering hes done it before.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have the other team keep on scoring touchdowns to run it in and make it feel worse and worse. At that point, your point has gotten across, you don't need to keep on playing like you did in the first half, those Bears weren't going to make a comeback. And if the got close, it's not like it was a snap decision away from throwing the starters back out and throwing it all over Chicago again.

YOU, of all people, are gonna play the FEEEWINGS card here?

Alrighty, then.

A "glorified stat-padder" would've stayed in for more than one series in the second half.

What was it, 45-0 when Rodgers left the game? That's like two games' worth of stat-padding in just over one half. There was no way he was going to stay in the game. You can't say that game was representative of any sort of larger trend or orthodoxy. It was a black swan of crap.

How exactly are we defining "stat padding" here? Most of Rodgers' statline (18 for 27, 315 yards), is fairly pedestrian by his standards. The 6 TDs might not be "orthodoxy," but not exactly unheard of for him... especially considering hes done it before.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have the other team keep on scoring touchdowns to run it in and make it feel worse and worse. At that point, your point has gotten across, you don't need to keep on playing like you did in the first half, those Bears weren't going to make a comeback. And if the got close, it's not like it was a snap decision away from throwing the starters back out and throwing it all over Chicago again.

Alrighty, then.

What would you rather have happen to you? The other team keep on slingin' it around despite being up by 40, or just running out the clock?

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Alrighty, then.

What would you rather have happen to you? The other team keep on slingin' it around despite being up by 40, or just running out the clock?

By my count, I saw only 8 passes in the second half, and 5 of those were by the backup QB. Didn't see the situations in which the passes were thrown (and I can easily defend passes on 3rd down and whatever attempts made by the backup QB). They weren't exactly slinging it around like a Mike Leach Air-Raid offense.

Besides, if I were in McCarthy's shoes and I were asked this, my response would be "That's a 'them' problem, not mine.". They're professional football players, they and their coaches are getting paid. They'll get over it.

The 6 TDs might not be "orthodoxy," but not exactly unheard of for him... especially considering hes done it before.

In one half?

Because he sat out all but one drive of the second half, that ended up being his (plausable) game total. How is that padding?

Alrighty, then.

A loss is a loss. Kneeling on it is the ultimate "I've already won" move so I'd hate it.

You don't get participation trophies and these aren't snot nosed kids. You got your butt beat. Deal with it.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

If I'm a fan I want to see 60 mins of action, not 40 minutes then 20 of handoffs up the middle or kneel downs. Even if my team is the one getting killed - if they're going to lose, might as well lose huge. Sure - put the second team offense in. I get that - injuries and whatever. But still play for real. You don't need to fake field goals, but no harm in dropping 70 on someone.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Mod edit: agreed, but had to clean up the reference

Archived