2014 NFL Season Thread

There are usually a few horror show officiating efforts in the NFL each season and yesterday's Detroit-Arizona game might have been the tops, so far, for this season. Not just that...whatever the hell that was ruling was on that otherwise-brilliant play from Jeremy Ross (sidenote: Bruce Arians is clearly a genius, right?), but also the Lions getting a really poor spot on a 3rd down completion when they were driving late in the first half, and then the Cardinals getting a ridiculously favorable spot on the game-sealing first down pass (there is no way Fitz's forward progress [he caught the pass with his back to the first down line anyway] was enough for a first down; that just seemed obvious), a play that naturally was unreviewable because it happened right before the 2:00 warning and also right after Detroit burned up all their timeouts.

Those weren't the only reasons Detroit lost yesterday; Jim Caldwell's painfully conservative decision-making continues to slay me just as it always has, but they sure didn't help.

spacer.png

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are usually a few horror show officiating efforts in the NFL each season and yesterday's Detroit-Arizona game might have been the tops, so far, for this season. Not just that...whatever the hell that was ruling was on that otherwise-brilliant play from Jeremy Ross (sidenote: Bruce Arians is clearly a genius, right?), but also the Lions getting a really poor spot on a 3rd down completion when they were driving late in the first half, and then the Cardinals getting a ridiculously favorable spot on the game-sealing first down pass (there is no way Fitz's forward progress [he caught the pass with his back to the first down line anyway] was enough for a first down; that just seemed obvious), a play that naturally was unreviewable because it happened right before the 2:00 warning and also right after Detroit burned up all their timeouts.

Those weren't the only reasons Detroit lost yesterday; Jim Caldwell's painfully conservative decision-making continues to slay me just as it always has, but they sure didn't help.

Football is still eyeballing it with two sticks and a chain. It's laughable how a guy watches a play at full speed, eyeballs where he thinks the ball stopped, and then they meticulously, scientifically measure with the chains and then the head official holds up his hands with how short the ball is. It's like "he was this close*" *based on one guy's idea of where the ball ended up. It's time to get tracker chips in these balls.

Also, I hope somebody is working on the technology that gets the yellow line and line of scrimmage lines to show up on the actual field of play. That would forever kill any doubt if a player got the first down, the need for the chain gang, or the need to measure.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Colts still can run the ball or stop the run.

And then there's Gronk.

Sad news, apparently Bradshaw broke his ankle.

1) That was supposed to be "can't" not "can"

2) Welp. Now the "running game" of swing/shovel passes to Bradshaw is out the window.

Win division. Maybe win Wild Card Game at home. Lose to Denver or New England in Divisional Round.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Football is still eyeballing it with two sticks and a chain. It's laughable how a guy watches a play at full speed, eyeballs where he thinks the ball stopped, and then they meticulously, scientifically measure with the chains and then the head official holds up his hands with how short the ball is. It's like "he was this close*" *based on one guy's idea of where the ball ended up. It's time to get tracker chips in these balls.

Also, I hope somebody is working on the technology that gets the yellow line and line of scrimmage lines to show up on the actual field of play. That would forever kill any doubt if a player got the first down, the need for the chain gang, or the need to measure.

When the Eagles lost to AZ they had what I (and a lot of people) thought was a touchdown not called one because of a (IMO) bad spot, and then they didn't go for it. Of course they did have a challenge, but claimed that it would have been a waste because spots so rarely get overturned.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Colts still can run the ball or stop the run.

And then there's Gronk.

Sad news, apparently Bradshaw broke his ankle.
1) That was supposed to be "can't" not "can"

2) Welp. Now the "running game" of swing/shovel passes to Bradshaw is out the window.

Win division. Maybe win Wild Card Game at home. Lose to Denver or New England in Divisional Round.

I know you meant can't. Obviously T-Rich sucks, and Bradshaw is very dependable in different ways(catching and blocking). It's too bad, but isn't a shock for him to get banged up.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

So the NFL decided Adrian Peterson is done for the season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's a shame there wasn't video evidence of this, or AP would most certainly be Ray Rice'd. Unfortunately AP's going to be back next year and be fighting for redemption or some awfully spun bullcrap.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Goodell just doesn't know how to properly discipline players

Yeah, nowadays you'd just be fired for cause in pretty much every other workplace. Food for thought.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't know whether my problem is with the NFL making this decision after Peterson was already gone for the last, what, 8-9 games, or if it's more a matter of that I can't take Goodell seriously anymore. I'm guessing it's the latter.

To muddle things more is that the Vikings clearly don't want him back (and don't want to continue to pay him like they did the last eight weeks). However the trade deadline has passed and the team clearly thinks he has trade value with a high cap hit if cut before the next league year.

So are LeGerrett (sp?) Blount and Ben Tate.

LeGarrette.

I think.

Correctamundo. Imagine if this happened to Dez Bryant when he walked off in a huff after last year's debacle against Green Bay. Leaving your team before a game is over should never happen and it shows a complete lack of respect for your fellow teammates.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Archived