2014 NFL Season Thread

I must say I am enjoying this quite a lot! It's like listening to 670, except you are all intelligent! Half my family is from Illinois and are huge Bears fans, so this makes me even more happy! The way the Packers played against the Saints, I wasn't expecting that kind of blowout. It was sure fun to watch! In the immortal words of Wisconsin born Chris Farley and others..... Da Bears!

packchampionslfroh.png

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say I am enjoying this quite a lot! It's like listening to 670, except you are all intelligent! Half my family is from Illinois and are huge Bears fans, so this makes me even more happy! The way the Packers played against the Saints, I wasn't expecting that kind of blowout. It was sure fun to watch! In the immortal words of Wisconsin born Chris Farley and others..... Da Bears!

You're a bad fan, and should feel bad for existing.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Man for man, I don't think Green Bay is as talented as Denver/New England/Arizona. Yet so many people want to elevate the Packers because of one guy.

Aaron Rodgers is a glorified stat-padder

A "glorified stat-padder" would've stayed in for more than one series in the second half. And I don't know how anyone could seriously argue that Nelson and Cobb aren't one of the best receiving tandems in the NFL right now. All three of those guys (Rodgers, Cobb, and Nelson) are playing arguably the best football of their careers right now.

You wouldn't by any chance be a Brett Favre fan, would you?

You're a bad fan, and should feel bad for existing.

Could've said the same thing about most Bears fans in the 80s... hence why the Superfans sketches were so popular.

They were popular because they were funny, and accurately painted Chicago sports fans as idiots.

I don't live in the city, so I don't know if the non-vocal denizens are equally fat-jawed and nescient as the stereotypical mustachioed, obese, grumbling racists that get cherry picked to haunt WSCR's midday show, but I'd like to think not. I'm guessing there is a portion of this across all of sports/humanity.

Either way, i wish I really could be proud to be a fan of the Bears. When they're good, the atmosphere is incredible to be a part of, but it seems like they're bottoming out and are on the brink of fading into the NFL netherrealm of oblivious mismanagement. They're run by fools, and I would be foolish to continue associating with them.

Unfortunately for me I'm basically married to them, so I'll just bend over the barrel and take it until one of us is dead or they remember how to play professional football.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

When you're up 42-0, you shouldn't be in the game. It's un-sportsmanlike, and what would happen if Rodgers had gotten injured? You know how much of a jackass Mike McCarthy would look like? I think it's fair to call him a "stat-padder" when there's no other reason for him to be in.

Mark Trestman, I've given you a chance, and this performance has deliberately proven that you are the worst coach in the league by an astounding degree. The Bears need to just blow it all up.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

The Monsters of the Midway? Chicago Chipmunks, maybe, but, BEARS? NEVER!

You get a 'like' for Christmas Story.

As did I.

OK, when was the last time the Bears got beaten to this kind of tune? This is embarrassing. I really kind of wished that NBC would of found a different game for this week.

2 weeks ago. 51-23 final score.

Oh, right. Still... 106 points given up in two games. If the Defensive Coordinator isn't fired after tonight's disaster, there is something wrong in that organization.

So what's firing the D-Coordinator gonna do for you for the rest of 2014? Lost season or not, changing a football coach during the season doesn't help the team at all. Plus, it's not like you're gonna be able to fill a coordinator's role before the season ends anyway, especially if the head coach's job security is in doubt.

When you're up 42-0, you shouldn't be in the game. It's un-sportsmanlike, and what would happen if Rodgers had gotten injured? You know how much of a jackass Mike McCarthy would look like? I think it's fair to call him a "stat-padder" when there's no other reason for him to be in.

First off, I support Rodgers being in the game through halftime and first possession into the third. Any football coach will tell you that their first job in winning the game is to score as many points as you can in the first half. And even a 42-0 lead is still "in doubt" until you've played an offensive possession in the second half.

Secondly....McCarthy's concern is about his own team, not the opponent. And it's more of an insult to the opponent to kneel down and stop playing. And hey, although the fans enjoyed being up by 40+ for over half the game, there is a sense of "entertain your audience" by those in attendance and those watching on TV.

Thirdly....you're only given 46 to play with in the NFL per game. You're gonna have front-line players and key contributors playing the entirety of the game.

The Monsters of the Midway? Chicago Chipmunks, maybe, but, BEARS? NEVER!

You get a 'like' for Christmas Story.

As did I.

OK, when was the last time the Bears got beaten to this kind of tune? This is embarrassing. I really kind of wished that NBC would of found a different game for this week.

2 weeks ago. 51-23 final score.

Oh, right. Still... 106 points given up in two games. If the Defensive Coordinator isn't fired after tonight's disaster, there is something wrong in that organization.

So what's firing the D-Coordinator gonna do for you for the rest of 2014? Lost season or not, changing a football coach during the season doesn't help the team at all. Plus, it's not like you're gonna be able to fill a coordinator's role before the season ends anyway, especially if the head coach's job security is in doubt.

First off, I support Rodgers being in the game through halftime and first possession into the third. Any football coach will tell you that their first job in winning the game is to score as many points as you can in the first half. And even a 42-0 lead is still "in doubt" until you've played an offensive possession in the second half.

Secondly....McCarthy's concern is about his own team, not the opponent. And it's more of an insult to the opponent to kneel down and stop playing. And hey, although the fans enjoyed being up by 40+ for over half the game, there is a sense of "entertain your audience" by those in attendance and those watching on TV.

Thirdly....you're only given 46 to play with in the NFL per game. You're gonna have front-line players and key contributors playing the entirety of the game.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have the other team keep on scoring touchdowns to run it in and make it feel worse and worse. At that point, your point has gotten across, you don't need to keep on playing like you did in the first half, those Bears weren't going to make a comeback. And if the got close, it's not like it was a snap decision away from throwing the starters back out and throwing it all over Chicago again.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

What a 3 headed monster of sucky prime time games this week.

I feel like there are an unusual amount of blow outs this year.

The NFL's certainly had a bad track record for nighttime games this year. I think really only like 5 games played in primetime were actually competitive.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

The Bears 2014 season is basically the plot of "Apollo 13" except the astronauts all burn up in the atmosphere and NASA subsequently fires Gene Kranz.

twitter

While it wouldn't have applied to this week, I generally feel like there's no reason MNF can't be a flex candidate if given sufficient notice of change, and it's ridiculous that 6-4 Pittsburgh vs. 2-7 Tennessee is a MNF next week while 7-2 Detroit vs. 8-1 Arizona is basically buried.

I should be careful with this idea, though, because this is where my rampant idealism kicks in. Just gonna say that stuff like that, where days of game change, happens all the time in Europe with their domestic football games. They seem to manage just fine.

spacer.png

2 turnovers in 4 plays.

Don't worry. It only gets worse from here.

Reposted for emphasis.

Here are the three phases of a typical Carolina Panthers game:

Mach 1: Early disappointment- usually a touchdown by the opponent

Mach 2: Glimmer of hope- Panthers respond, normally tie or get game to one score

Mach 3: WARP SPEED SUCK- what you see tonight

Nothing surprises me anymore.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

A "glorified stat-padder" would've stayed in for more than one series in the second half.

What was it, 45-0 when Rodgers left the game? That's like two games' worth of stat-padding in just over one half. There was no way he was going to stay in the game. You can't say that game was representative of any sort of larger trend or orthodoxy. It was a black swan of crap.

It's really time for people to stand up and start challenging this stupid idea that Chicago is A FOOTBALL TOWN, and that's that. No, it's not. I'm old enough to remember when the Bulls were awesome and no one could give a crap about the lousy Wannstedt Bears. No one was looking forward to Bears season when Sosa and McGwire had their phony home run chase. Soldier Field was a hospitality house for Packers fans, Vikings fans, probably even Buccaneers fans by the end of the old Soldier Field. If Mike Brown (defensive back, not Bengals owner) didn't singlehandedly pull a 13-win season out of his ass, who knows where interest in the Bears would have gone with that bad season in Champaign the next year and a couple more bad seasons after that. Why do you think the Bears commissioned a stadium with such a low seating capacity in 2001? Probably because the team was comatose and people stopped caring. They should stop caring again. Chicago doesn't really like the sport of football anyway. They just like a Saturday Night Live sketch.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What a 3 headed monster of sucky prime time games this week.

I feel like there are an unusual amount of blow outs this year.

The NFL's certainly had a bad track record for nighttime games this year. I think really only like 5 games played in primetime were actually competitive.

I consider this "karma" for all the PR mess the NFL has gotten themselves into this season.

A "glorified stat-padder" would've stayed in for more than one series in the second half.

What was it, 45-0 when Rodgers left the game? That's like two games' worth of stat-padding in just over one half. There was no way he was going to stay in the game. You can't say that game was representative of any sort of larger trend or orthodoxy. It was a black swan of crap.

It's really time for people to stand up and start challenging this stupid idea that Chicago is A FOOTBALL TOWN, and that's that. No, it's not. I'm old enough to remember when the Bulls were awesome and no one could give a crap about the lousy Wannstedt Bears. No one was looking forward to Bears season when Sosa and McGwire had their phony home run chase. Soldier Field was a hospitality house for Packers fans, Vikings fans, probably even Buccaneers fans by the end of the old Soldier Field. If Mike Brown (defensive back, not Bengals owner) didn't singlehandedly pull a 13-win season out of his ass, who knows where interest in the Bears would have gone with that bad season in Champaign the next year and a couple more bad seasons after that. Why do you think the Bears commissioned a stadium with such a low seating capacity in 2001? Probably because the team was comatose and people stopped caring. They should stop caring again. Chicago doesn't really like the sport of football anyway. They just like a Saturday Night Live sketch.

And knock-off throwback Walter Payton jerseys, because I have seen a TON of those all over the country.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived