2014-5 NBA Season Thread: We Are North American Ballerz

buzzcut

By my count, the Cavs have won 15 out of 17. It might be finally clicking for them.

Also I love the general vibe of treating Kevin Love like the Rain Man. They all know he's really good at basketball, but they look at him like an alien. Also, I don't get the sense the Cavs like each other very much as people. Lucky for them they go an win, but the team feels almost like the late 2000s Lakers, but without a parallel Kobe/Pau bromance.

Kevin Love is a fraud. He put up great numbers in MIN because someone had to. He refuses to play inside and rough it up...like David Lee.

But Golden State goes into Toronto on Friday 6-6 in their last 12 road games with possibly two good road wins within those six: WAS,NYK,HOU,SAC,MIN,PHL.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By my count, the Cavs have won 15 out of 17. It might be finally clicking for them.

Also I love the general vibe of treating Kevin Love like the Rain Man. They all know he's really good at basketball, but they look at him like an alien. Also, I don't get the sense the Cavs like each other very much as people. Lucky for them they go an win, but the team feels almost like the late 2000s Lakers, but without a parallel Kobe/Pau bromance.

Everyone panicked when they stumbled out of the gate. It's very rare that you take 3 all stars, throw them on a team with a supporting cast who have also never played together, and they click instantly. They'll win the East, and possibly the title.

sig.png

I just thought of a great way for the Knicks to pay respect to him. We've seen memorial patches, but what about memorial haircuts?: anthony-mason.jpg

What about the bald dudes?

sig.png

I just thought of a great way for the Knicks to pay respect to him. We've seen memorial patches, but what about memorial haircuts?: anthony-mason.jpg

What about the bald dudes?

Sharpie.

Cavs-Rockets was good. LBJ missed a boatload of shots.

I lol'd when they showed Dwight on the bench... as if ABC pointing out to him 'This is how you play real man basketball' with his stupid suit while Harden & James war on the floor.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

This was awesome. So glad to see KG back in Minnesota.

That was amazing!!! I literally cried! Awesome job by the Wolves staff and crew!

All that did was remind me how much I loved the Timberwolves old uniforms and how nothing I think their current uniforms are. There was no reason for them to change.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I lol'd when they showed Dwight on the bench... as if ABC pointing out to him 'This is how you play real man basketball' with his stupid suit while Harden & James war on the floor.

That's why LeBron will never really be in the discussion for Greatest of All-Time. When the game is on the line, he refuses to put his head down and go to the basket. He settles for long jumpers and unbalanced shots. When the game is on the line, he misses free throws. Jordan, Kobe, and Bird never had those issues.

That's why LeBron will never really be in the discussion for Greatest of All-Time. When the game is on the line, he refuses to put his head down and go to the basket. He settles for long jumpers and unbalanced shots. When the game is on the line, he misses free throws. Jordan, Kobe, and Bird never had those issues .

Kobe just has injury issues instead.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

I wonder if we'll ever reach a point when we all collectively realize how dumb "GOAT" arguments are for team sports. It's a fun little diversion, a nice barroom discussion, but nothing more. It really seems as if all these "GOAT" discussions have gotten way out of hand over the last decade.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

That's why LeBron will never really be in the discussion for Greatest of All-Time. When the game is on the line, he refuses to put his head down and go to the basket. He settles for long jumpers and unbalanced shots. When the game is on the line, he misses free throws. Jordan, Kobe, and Bird never had those issues .

Kobe just has injury issues instead.

Yeah but Kobe's legacy was/is intact well before he has been plagued by injuries the last 2-3 seasons. I had the same debate with a guy at work. The Greats of All-Time always play to their strengths. LeBron falls in love with TERRIBLE jump shots and fade away shots instead of going to the lane and forcing the defense to foul or give up a layout. That has been his reputation his entire career. Its sad to say, because I would have loved to say that he could be 1B to Jordan's 1A... or even 2B to Kobe's/Bird's 2A... but sad to say he will be no higher than 4th.

I wonder if we'll ever reach a point when we all collectively realize how dumb "GOAT" arguments are for team sports. It's a fun little diversion, a nice barroom discussion, but nothing more. It really seems as if all these "GOAT" discussions have gotten way out of hand over the last decade.

I blame that on the media. The media is so quick to anoint guys "future Hall of Famer" and "superstar" that they lose the real meaning. There was a time when Mike Miller was labeled a "superstar" in Memphis. When LeBron, Wade and Bosh teamed up in Miami, they were so quick to say that these 3 future Hall of Famers were a dynasty. To be honest, I don't think Bosh is a Hall of Famer. I think Wade is, but just barely.

That's why LeBron will never really be in the discussion for Greatest of All-Time. When the game is on the line, he refuses to put his head down and go to the basket. He settles for long jumpers and unbalanced shots. When the game is on the line, he misses free throws. Jordan, Kobe, and Bird never had those issues.

To be fair, LBJ drove to the basket several times in the 4th. At least with his FT misses, he can't tweet blast his teammates not being up for prime time.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

LeBron's "clutchness" is still a point of discussion? It's funny to see people deride him for not driving to the basket. I can recall him driving for a game-winning layup against the Pacers in the '13 ECF and people saying "it didn't count" because it was a layup and those are too easy.

To be honest, I don't think Bosh is a Hall of Famer. I think Wade is, but just barely.

Bosh's odds are inflated by his involvement with LeBron's Heat, but it's easy to see him making it because of how inclusive the basketball HOF is. He was the best role player imaginable, but he never deserved equal billing with the other two. I can hardly remember any specific moment he's had apart from regular season game winners in ATL and SA when Wade and James were out and the rebound and block in G6 of the '13 Finals.

The idea that Dwyane Wade is barely a Hall of Famer is laughable.

PJU85JF.png

Bosh's odds are inflated by his involvement with LeBron's Heat, but it's easy to see him making it because of how inclusive the basketball HOF is. He was the best role player imaginable, but he never deserved equal billing with the other two. I can hardly remember any specific moment he's had apart from regular season game winners in ATL and SA when Wade and James were out and the rebound and block in G6 of the '13 Finals.

Oh, I disagree. Bosh's number took a hit when he joined Miami. The last 4 years in Toronto, he was nearly a 20-10 guy. His LeBron-Era stats were closer to 17-7.

LeBron's "clutchness" is still a point of discussion? It's funny to see people deride him for not driving to the basket. I can recall him driving for a game-winning layup against the Pacers in the '13 ECF and people saying "it didn't count" because it was a layup and those are too easy.

I was never one of those people. A win is a win is a win... just like a game winner, is a game winner, is a game winner. I don't care if its a layup, a jumper, or a half court shot. Whether you are tied, down 1, down 2... whether there is a minute left or 0.00s on the clock... if you make the last bucket of the game to put you ahead... that's a game winner.

My issue with LeBron's clutch-ness was never him passing off to teammates. My issue is that he was/is enamored with watching Jordan and Kobe game winning jumpers (I agree, it makes better highlights). The guy can nearly get to the hole at will. He has a body unlike anyone else in the NBA's history. There is no excuse for him not to drive the lane.

A legacy doesn't have an asterisk saying his game winners were layups. They are game winners. That's it.

Oh, I disagree. Bosh's number took a hit when he joined Miami. The last 4 years in Toronto, he was nearly a 20-10 guy. His LeBron-Era stats were closer to 17-7.

His time in Miami has cost him 0.9 points and 0.8 rebounds per game on his career averages. He's back up to 21 ppg this year, but his game has moved further from the paint to the point he'll probably never be a double-digit rebounder again. However, the Hall of Fame isn't an award for stats, it recognizes the totality of a career. He went from a 5-time All Star with 2 playoff appearances to a 10-time All Star and 2-time champion with 2 additional Finals appearances. Comparing his criteria with current HOFers gives him a 98.6% chance of making the HOF per Basketball Reference. I'm not sure how his stat padding in Toronto aids that more than the winning in Miami. It's like saying Kevin Love (their pre-LeBron careers are pretty similar) would have his HOF chances diminish if his stats drop off in Cleveland while he wins rings and makes the ASG every year.

PJU85JF.png

Archived