• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so much that it's a terrible name choice but once the new Falcons Stadium is complete, the naming rights will belong to Mercedes-Benz. What makes it terrible is the Saints Stadium is also called "Mercedes-Benz Super Dome". Two teams in the SAME division with almost the SAME Stadium name... yeesh

EDIT: whoops... didn't see neo_prankster's post

Nissan missed the boat when renaming Tennessee's NFL stadium. Nissan sells a truck called the Titan. The Titans play there. Why is it not called Nissan Titan Stadium?? Two birds, one stone.

Because people would have just called it "Titans Stadium", defeating the purpose of paying for the rights.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sacramento Kings: Nicely named ARCO Arena eventually became Power Balance Pavilion and now Sleep Train Arena.

University of Louisville: KFC Yum! Center

I was gonna vote for Sleep Train Arena, but the Smoothie King Arena tops that.

Both sound like anchor tenants in a run-down shopping mall....

And both are!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I mean, the Windsor Family Credit Union Centre, or WFCU Centre for (not so) short isn't the best...

Yeah, I'm not too fond of that one. Also in the O, Saginaw's rink is called the Dow Event Centre, while Flint's is the Dort Event Centre. That's not confusing at all.

Not really... DoRRRRTTTTT, DOWWWWW. It sounds pretty distinct to me.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

University of Houston's TDECU Stadium. Not only is it an awkward mouthful, it sounds like you're celebrating a score by one of Houston's conference foes.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I mean, the Windsor Family Credit Union Centre, or WFCU Centre for (not so) short isn't the best...

I call it the F.U. Centre, because one- it sounds better, and two- it is f---ed. Everything about it. Location, parking, Should've been built downtown but the mayor had a sweetheart deal with his buddy Farhi, who's now holding out the adjacent land that should be developed for parking lots, hotels, entertainment, etc.

sig.png

I call it the F.U. Centre, because one- it sounds better, and two- it is f---ed. Everything about it. Location, parking, Should've been built downtown but the mayor had a sweetheart deal with his buddy Farhi, who's now holding out the adjacent land that should be developed for parking lots, hotels, entertainment, etc.

Hey, I call it that as well!

The First Union Center in Philadelphia. Just for the fact that most of the area called it the FU Center.

That's mostly because they're all Philly Fans... :D

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Yeah, I'm not too fond of that one. Also in the O, Saginaw's rink is called the Dow Event Centre, while Flint's is the Dort Event Centre. That's not confusing at all.

The full name of Flint's arena is the Dort Federal Credit Union Event Center, they just shorten it to Dort Event Center.

Papa John's Cardinal Stadium - Louisville, KY (NCAA)

Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre - Victoria, BC (WHL)

Bon Secours Wellness Arena - Greenville, SC (ECHL)

Anything sponsored by FifthThird Bank

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2015 at 3:46 PM, kmccarthy27 said:

The First Union Center in Philadelphia. Just for the fact that most of the area called it the FU Center.

It's probably been mentioned 30 times in this thread or other threads, but this one really exemplifies the problem with corporate naming rights.  I mean the damn place has been called:

Spectrum II (before they decided to sell the rights)

CoreStates Center (2 years)

FU Center (5 years)

Wachovia Center (7 years)

Wells Fargo Center (6 years and counting)

It's frustrating watching old highlights and having to think about where the game was played (or at least what it was named at the time.)  

On 11/30/2015 at 0:29 PM, chcarlson23 said:

That's mostly because they're all Philly Fans... :D

Or because it's literally the initials of the place.  Go find some disciples or something.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's probably been mentioned 30 times in this thread or other threads, but this one really exemplifies the problem with corporate naming rights.  I mean the damn place has been called:

Spectrum II (before they decided to sell the rights)

CoreStates Center (2 years)

FU Center (5 years)

Wachovia Center (7 years)

Wells Fargo Center (6 years and counting)

It's frustrating watching old highlights and having to think about where the game was played (or at least what it was named at the time.)  

Or because it's literally the initials of the place.  Go find some disciples or something.

And only Philly fans would add the emphasis that the initials are FU...  

Archived