Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

Here are some photo shops of the Steelers' potential color rush. Gotta think it'll look very similar to one of these. If I had to guess, I'd say they go all black. For no reason other than it looks more "Steeler" to me.

7bec6aca-de49-4a31-bfb9-e435b641ba54.jpgbencolorrush_black.jpg?w=1000

There are two things I've always wanted to see the Steelers try out of curiosity (and a preference for matching helmets/jersey): Black pants, or going back to yellow helmets.
I would love if they went yellow helmets full time

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah they wanted a yellow jersey to wear on the road when Florida teams wore white against them early in the season, because they'd incinerate in their black jerseys because of nonsense.

I think the league vetoed it because it would mean yellow vs white, which IMO isn't an issue - especially if the helmets are different. For Color Rash, it'd be yellow vs a dark color, so as we saw with the Rams, it'd be fine. In fact, I'd wager that's what they'd do.

At the time alternate jerseys started in the NFL, a CBS broadcaster mentioned during a game that they skipped their desired yellow alternate because of a league rule that alts could only be worn at home. Obviously, the league dropped that rule since then.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

i would guess Steelers will go yellow as well but my gut feeling is that 1 team is going to do something really crazy, like the Lions in red or the the Steelers pulling one of those other logo colors, blue or red. that would be wild

By wild I guess you meant totally stupid, right?

i would guess Steelers will go yellow as well but my gut feeling is that 1 team is going to do something really crazy, like the Lions in red or the the Steelers pulling one of those other logo colors, blue or red. that would be wild

Yeah really, if we're adding colors that are a part of the logo but aren't part of the color scheme, then what's the point of having team colors at all?

Surprisingly, the NFL has few of these examples, but the Steelers in blue, the Cardinals in gold, and Minnesota in fleshtone is downright stupid.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Yeah really, if we're adding colors that are a part of the logo but aren't part of the color scheme, then what's the point of having team colors at all?

Surprisingly, the NFL has few of these examples, but the Steelers in blue, the Cardinals in gold, and Minnesota in fleshtone is downright stupid.

That's my biggest question with the future of Color Rush... which team(s) will do something really wacky? I don't think something like the Steelers in blue or the Cards in yellow is all that likely, but I could see someone coming out in all-grey that doesn't have it in their color scheme or a team taking Nike's trendy version of one of their team colors. In the very first game, we already had a team wear a version of a color that's not currently in their identity; it just sort of flew under the radar IMO because they've worn it in the past and many of us would like to see the kelly green come back.

That's my biggest question with the future of Color Rush... which team(s) will do something really wacky? I don't think something like the Steelers in blue or the Cards in yellow is all that likely, but I could see someone coming out in all-grey that doesn't have it in their color scheme or a team taking Nike's trendy version of one of their team colors. In the very first game, we already had a team wear a version of a color that's not currently in their identity; it just sort of flew under the radar IMO because they've worn it in the past and many of us would like to see the kelly green come back.

When that happens, it's truly the Nikepocalypse. Sure, it was fun to see bunches of random jerseys in college football. Throwbacks were fun, special event jerseys were fun, crazy ideas and versions of looks were a good time...

but idk about you guys, but I have actual difficulty identifying teams. When you look different every week, and not just a single element, but wildly different, it is difficult to identify who you are.

The NFL has had so many restrictions on alternate uniforms - only one of them, used twice per year, at home only, and you can only change it once every five years - because they know the importance of seeing any game on tv and even casual fans being able to identify both teams.

I'm sure Nike has its selling points - more jerseys to sell, publicity and attention to NFL uniforms, chances to explore new looks - but there NEEDS to be limits on it all. It has to be a team color, this is a once-a-year thing at most, the jerseys cannot have unique patterns (it has to be the home or road jersey in different colors), and so on, or this will have a long-term negative effect on publicity and sales, and I hope they realize that. If anybody would, it's the NFL, but huge amounts of money tends to cloud the vision of even shrewd businessmen.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

sports-all-time-ugliest-uniforms-san-fra

sports-all-time-ugliest-uniforms-san-fra

8dd86f0316aefc5e7b68251d555a5e860156f033

With this uniform set I'd agree. However they have used it as number and uniform trim in previous designs. It still looks ugly as heck because outside of the swooshes there is no gold on the pants and jersey.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Here are some photo shops of the Steelers' potential color rush. Gotta think it'll look very similar to one of these. If I had to guess, I'd say they go all black. For no reason other than it looks more "Steeler" to me.

There are two things I've always wanted to see the Steelers try out of curiosity (and a preference for matching helmets/jersey): Black pants, or going back to yellow helmets.
I would love if they went yellow helmets full time
I think the one-helmet rule hurt the Steelers more than anybody. The yellow helmet was awesome twice a year.

I would like the Steelers to go matte black with a dark gray facemask with a brushed/old-school looking finish.

Pair either of those with socks that have stripes matching the jersey and you have a winner.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

As long as the NFL restricts this Color Rush to Thursday Night games, I'm okay with it going forward. To have a color vs. color game each week is a nice change-up in my opinion. If it becomes anything more than that, I completely agree with the people saying the NFL will have a bunch of Pop Warner games. I just hope that next year, the all color games are monochrome-free. If there isn't any monochrome crap, these games would actually be quite decent looking in my opinion, as long as the teams are wearing contrasting colors, like black vs. yellow.

Archived