PittsburghSucks

2016-17 NBA Season

674 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

As a timberwolves fan I probably have no right to talk about stupid deals but, this move was the most kings move I have ever seen

5 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Woah -- Magic Johnson just replaced Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak (with the assumption Magic will appoint a new GM).

Magic's philosophy seems to be "get good players and win games," which is fundamentally right but is missing some details on how to do that.

The NBA is littered with former stars who mess up the talent evaluation and development side of the equation; Jerry West is quite possibly the only successful example (if we all agree Dumars lucked into the Pistons run).

Godspeed Magic Johnson.

If Dumars' tenure in Detroit didn't end as bad as it did, I would say he's almost West's equal in that regard...only the other superstar-turned-exec/coach that has been relatively successful is Larry Bird.

As far as Magic...the only thing that's surprising is the timing--even when the Magic Man was making his rounds in Bristol last week (on First Take, in particular), he openly campaigned for Jim Buss' job.  In a way, I do feel for Mitch Kupchak...he was a loyal solider to the Lakers for over 35 years (player, assistant GM, GM), and ironically enough, it was Magic who recruited Kupchak to L.A. from D.C. when the latter signed as a free agent in 1981.  He also took a lot of flack (some of undeserved IMO) from the fanbase and the kiss-ass L.A. media (assclowns like Bill Plaschke and T.J. Simers especially) for not getting bigger star players--of course, not realizing how cap-strapped the Lakers were year-in and year-out.

Just based on his championship pedigree and the tutelage under Jerry West, I would love see him as the Clippers' GM/VP...kick lil Larry Frank back to the bench, and take away Doc's decision-making power.  No offense to Frank and the rest of Doc's cronies, but there needs to be checks-and-balances established between the front office and the coach.

1 person likes this

The Lakers traded Lou Williams to the Rockets for their 2017 first round pick (likely 20-something) and chicken-legged Corey Brewer. Lou Williams was clearly playing too well to be stuck on a losing team, but it was cool to see a guy playing up to being a Laker, rather than looking around dumbfounded.

Brewer seems like a fair enough piece to receive in return. He's competent and likely to go off for 50 points at any moment (no he's not..but he did). It's just too bad his legs are so skinny.

1 person likes this

Today is NBA Christmas!

Nerlens Noel gets traded to a team that's interested in playing real basketball instead of fantasy, and Philly gets a protected first rounder, Justin Anderson (who I don't know) and sulking Andrew Bogut.

I'm really happy for Noel. He's a good talent and could be a real star in the league, especially playing for a coach and franchise interested in player development.

I guess Okafor stays? Or who knows? I'd rather have Embiid and Noel than Embiid, Okafor and Bogut.

2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Today is NBA Christmas!

Nerlens Noel gets traded to a team that's interested in playing real basketball instead of fantasy, and Philly gets a protected first rounder, Justin Anderson (who I don't know) and sulking Andrew Bogut.

I'm really happy for Noel. He's a good talent and could be a real star in the league, especially playing for a coach and franchise interested in player development.

I guess Okafor stays? Or who knows? I'd rather have Embiid and Noel than Embiid, Okafor and Bogut.

Bogut is in the last year of his contract, so expect the Sixers to buy him out.

1 person likes this

They are already trying to move Bogut. IMHO, Okafor will be gone in a couple of hours. Meanwhile, Embiid will miss the next 4 games and I don't expect Simmons to play at all this year. The Sixers Tank Era continues! But hey, TRUST THE PROCESS!

1 person likes this

The Process is now the longest tenured Sixers player, I love that.

17 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

They are already trying to move Bogut. IMHO, Okafor will be gone in a couple of hours. Meanwhile, Embiid will miss the next 4 games and I don't expect Simmons to play at all this year. The Sixers Tank Era continues! But hey, TRUST THE PROCESS!

I always wondered what it would look like if you let a bunch of hfboards posters run an NBA team.

1 person likes this

57 minutes ago, rams80 said:

I always wondered what it would look like if you let a bunch of hfboards posters run an NBA team.

They really have no clue. It's a shame.

The hell is coangelo thinking?

i don't know basketball but I know that Noel and Embiid are BFF and the latter has said repeatedly that he doesn't want Noel to be traded. Also the few times I've watched, Noel looked really good. So they dump a good player for nothing, piss off their star, and are left with Okafor who may or may not be anything. 

Maybe it's because Noel's rookie contract was up?  What a ripoff - no more embiid, no simons, no Noel, and no winning - again.  

48 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The hell is coangelo thinking?

i don't know basketball but I know that Noel and Embiid are BFF and the latter has said repeatedly that he doesn't want Noel to be traded. Also the few times I've watched, Noel looked really good. So they dump a good player for nothing, piss off their star, and are left with Okafor who may or may not be anything. 

Maybe it's because Noel's rookie contract was up?  What a ripoff - no more embiid, no simons, no Noel, and no winning - again.  

He's doing what Harris and the other owners tell him to do

The 76ers are a joke franchise. That January winning streak was nice and seemed to be kind of the point of developing young talent.

But to just flush it all out for yet more draft picks? Pro sports aren't the futures market, you know? Playing to win for 1/6th of the season is bull :censored:.

4 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The 76ers are a joke franchise. That January winning streak was nice and seemed to be kind of the point of developing young talent.

But to just flush it all out for yet more draft picks? Pro sports aren't the futures market, you know? Playing to win for 1/6th of the season is bull :censored:.

Don't worry, Adam Silver will just do what he's been doing about the team since he took the job...Next to zero.

At least I know what the 76ers are doing. I don't like it, but I get it. I have no idea what the Bulls are doing. They traded up for Doug McDermott and then traded another pick to get rid of him. What a waste.

Deron williams got waived by the mavs. The Cavs and jazz have an interest in him.

14 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

Deron williams got waived by the mavs. The Cavs and jazz have an interest in him.

So to the cavs then

Mediocre trade deadline. The Cousins deal happening early ruined everything.

16 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

Kristin Cutler knows one thing about Deron Williams...

dunzo_zpsiaa4ugaz.gif

And he's been dunzo for the last three seasons.

1 person likes this