NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

2 hours ago, coachcw_51 said:

Miami has worn their throwbacks in 6 of the 8 games they've played since debuting them. They wore white in the other two.

This shouldn’t really come as a surprise, as this has kind of been their MO with throwbacks in recent years. They unveil them and then go on a streak of wearing them for nearly every game. Eventually they’ll slow it down, and by the time they do they’ll be able to wear the red Statement uniforms, and then shortly thereafter the City uniforms as well. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/14/2017 at 3:42 PM, kimball said:

Nope.

Though Golden State has their Chinese New Year jersey coming back. Not sure if there's any Spanish or St. Patrick's jerseys planned? (Boston won't have their St. Patty's jersey, sadly).

This is the worst uniform news yet this year.

Going to sum up some thoughts on the recents changes/additions/matchups here:

1. Love the Charlotte throwbacks (minus yet another ad-attacked uniform set). So now if my math serves me right, we're down to 13 teams in the league with no ads and only 4 of those teams are in the East (Bulls, Pacers, Wizards, & Heat)
  2. What made the Wizards-Pistons color matchup a difficult one for some here? The Wiz have enough red on their jerseys (front and back) for me to distinguish them from Detroit in blue.
  3. Just curious, but why don't teams with throwbacks revive an entire set from their past? Magic wearing their 90's whites at home and their blue or black jerseys on the road? Also, it'd be nice to see two teams wearing their proper classic unis from a past era against each other like if the Sixers had their Iverson-era white jerseys against the Raptors going purple/black like the days of Carter-McGrady to add to that extra feel of the past

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

1 hour ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

1. Love the Charlotte throwbacks (minus yet another ad-attacked uniform set). So now if my math serves me right, we're down to 13 teams in the league with no ads and only 4 of those teams are in the East (Bulls, Pacers, Wizards, & Heat)
  2. What made the Wizards-Pistons color matchup a difficult one for some here? The Wiz have enough red on their jerseys (front and back) for me to distinguish them from Detroit in blue.
  3. Just curious, but why don't teams with throwbacks revive an entire set from their past? Magic wearing their 90's whites at home and their blue or black jerseys on the road? Also, it'd be nice to see two teams wearing their proper classic unis from a past era against each other like if the Sixers had their Iverson-era white jerseys against the Raptors going purple/black like the days of Carter-McGrady to add to that extra feel of the past

LRG_DSC01847

The Celtics will be in green at home again tonight, this time against the white-clad Warriors. Since the Warriors’ blue uniforms are heavy with yellow accents, I would’ve liked to have seen the Dubs go with those instead of the whites. Royal blue vs. kelly green can be tricky in terms of contrast, as we’ve already seen a couple of times this season with the Celtics, but I think the yellow accents on the Warriors’ blue uniforms would’ve made it much more tolerable and appealing.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

18 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

I had been waiting for this moment ever since Charlotte officially announced they were bringing back the Hornets brand in 2014. Three years later, we finally got to see these beautiful retro unis in action and they did not disappoint...

171115_vscle02.jpg?itok=Ppm2H3Os

171115_vscle04.jpg?itok=nhMBwKLv

Sure, they lost... But man did they look good doing it.

Needs pleats.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, Mitch B said:

I am not a big fan of seeing the Celtics in the Garden wearing green jerseys that say Boston.

With so many teams deciding to wear colour at home more than white, I wonder if there will be a time when the city names are taken off the jerseys or maybe have two versions of each jersey; one with city name and the other with nickname.

22 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

I had been waiting for this moment ever since Charlotte officially announced they were bringing back the Hornets brand in 2014. Three years later, we finally got to see these beautiful retro unis in action and they did not disappoint...

ONLY because neither the Jordan Jumpman nor the sponsor tag are clearly visible in these two pictures, at least the thumbnails.

8 hours ago, M4One said:

With so many teams deciding to wear colour at home more than white, I wonder if there will be a time when the city names are taken off the jerseys or maybe have two versions of each jersey; one with city name and the other with nickname.

The Thunder are wearing blue at home for national tv games specifically because it has the city name on the front, not the team name. Especially in smaller markets, that city name getting air time seems to be a big deal.

10 hours ago, M4One said:

I was actually thinking about this watching Celtics/Warriors last night. Since this was probably in the works for a while, I'm surprised some of the other teams didn't do it for this year when the new Nikes rolled out. Though I guess a lot of teams already had the nickname on the color jerseys. Boston is interesting as a precedent since they only put "Boston" back on the green jersey a couple years ago, and had "Celtics" on both sets for 40 years.

16 hours ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

On your second point, since the Wizards red have a lot of blue trim, and the Pistons blue has a lot of red trim,  I can see the argument that they blur together into a big purplish mess. On the one hand the rise of HD suggests that it's a better time for potentially problematic color-vs-color matchups; on the other hand, with so many more games being watched on phone-sized screens and potentially dodgy streams (even the legal ones), seems like contrast should be extra important.

On the third point, I'd imagine it's more cost effective for manufacturers to pick one set for limited runs like throwbacks, and perhaps better from a branding/marketing perspective. I see your point though. It was fun a few years back when the Celtics and Lakers were using their classic sets against each other, apart from the Lakers picking the yellow one while away.

Both original Charlotte Hornets sets were good.

I'm gonna have to search the board for it but I'm pretty sure I had a concept for an Oklahoma City Hornets/Charlotte Bobcats scenario where the Hornets kept the name but gave the color palette to the Bobcats, and the Bobcats would wear teal at home (functionally the Charlotte Hornets uniform everyone recognizes) when there was sufficient contrast, partly anticipating the NBA mix-and-match hellworld by a year or two.

EDIT: the Hornets switched to black and yellow, btw

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 11/16/2017 at 3:24 AM, Tracy Jordan said:

On 11/16/2017 at 4:56 AM, Old School Fool said:

It's so good. (Except for the stupid ad patch)

DOtYX6zWsAYf1iQ.jpg:large

Nice throwback. I’ve been trying to figure out why the stripes might be so thick, and I stumbled on some interesting tidbits:

IMG_fowlerJUMP.jpg_4_1_0O2FVAUU_L6049154

The original uniform that was unveiled had the green pinstripe on the left edge of the lettering, while the Carolina blue pinstripe ran through the right center of the word. This was either flipped or cycled around at some point so that the Carolina blue pinstripe was off to the left on all the jerseys:

enhanced-buzz-701-1369161616-0.jpg?downs

I completely forgot about this version with the doubled stripes as well. Seeing a blurry picture of this could lead someone to make the pinstripes thicker when designing a throwback if he or she somehow didn’t realize it was a different uniform. 

paul-silas.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived