Bmac

NHL 2017-18

Recommended Posts

Im afraid of what is going to happen to the Bruins, and the Penguins... 

 

I like the Pens new jerseys, and I don't want them to change.

 

But the Bruins, idek... the current set is starting to grow on me a little...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrianLion    1,026
26 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

 

Of course the counter that is, I immediately think "green" when I think of the Devil...

 

and the counter to your counter, is  NJ is the "Garden State" hence why they originally had green in their scheme.  Also they aren't named after "The Devil" either if you'd like to be pedantic about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wildwing64    1,192
12 minutes ago, BostonStrong13 said:

Im afraid of what is going to happen to the Bruins, and the Penguins... 

 

I like the Pens new jerseys, and I don't want them to change.

 

But the Bruins, idek... the current set is starting to grow on me a little...

 

I don't see either of them making much of a change to be honest. For one thing, the Pens only just switched to their current set. No way they're flushing that down the drain after only a year.

 

As for Boston, well, I guess they seem to have a thing for overhauling their primaries every ten years so now would be about right. But their current set is the best they've ever looked, and it'd be a shame if they got rid of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Krabs    7

I guess this outfit change and one year cessation of alternates is going to become a decennial thing huh? 2007-08 it goes to Reebok and only home and road no alternates. 2017-18 it goes to Adidas and only home and road no alternates.

 

But I hope the Wild make a green version of the aways. Ever since they changed from green to red at home, I've wanted them to have the main logo on green at home. And I'll be intrigued to see what the Capitals do with their set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pray the original six teams get an "out" like the reebok edge switch over... That being said I'm scared for the Rangers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pepis21    305
45 minutes ago, Armadillo said:

Make the home a green version of the current roads, and we're done here, boys.

 

Or simply use a 2015 Stadium Series jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wildwing64    1,192
40 minutes ago, New York's Greatest said:

I pray the original six teams get an "out" like the reebok edge switch over... That being said I'm scared for the Rangers

 

Don't count on the Rangers changing anything. Or any of the Original Six. But maybe Boston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mmajeski06    89

I'm surprised by the Devils news - honestly thought the Blackburn tweet was a joke at first. I think the Devils are smart enough to not completely screw things up, but you never know. Look what Nike did to the Browns.

 

Happy some of the third jerseys are disappearing (at least for now) - Isles terrible black jerseys and the BOLTS jerseys. Will be sad to see the Mighty Ducks logo retired again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ice_Cap    7,800
2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

 

Of course the counter that is, I immediately think "green" when I think of the Devil...

Well they're named after the Jersey Devil, which legend says roams the forests of New Jersey. Green makes sense in that context.

 

Though if you want to tie it all in with Lucifer...

 

79S9VAg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bosrs1    648
4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well they're named after the Jersey Devil, which legend says roams the forests of New Jersey. Green makes sense in that context.

 

Though if you want to tie it all in with Lucifer...

 

79S9VAg.jpg

 

Good find. Honestly with the Jersey Devil I can't ever recall seeing it described as green. I'd imagine the "Garden State" is a bigger call back to green then either Satanic or Jersey Devil imagery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ice_Cap    7,800
2 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Good find. Honestly with the Jersey Devil I can't ever recall seeing it described as green. I'd imagine the "Garden State" is a bigger call back to green then either Satanic or Jersey Devil imagery.

The Jersey Devil was never described as green, but it's consistently described as living in the woods of New Jersey. Which makes the green fitting. It's not green, but its environment is. You also have the "Garden State" nickname, and New Jersey's Italian population to draw on. All of which make green a suitable colour for the Devils to use.

And yeah, green was also used to depict Satan and the demonic in medieval art. So it works on that level as well.

 

I'm really torn when it comes to the Devils' uniforms. The red and black set is great, and features probably my favourite number font in all of hockey. It's also got three Cups associated with it, which isn't nothing. There's something to be said about a team sticking with a look associated with its greatest success.

The red and green, on the other hand, looks better. In my opinion. Not that the red and black set is bad, just that the red and green is that much nicer. I love everything about it. The thick blocks of colour, the exact shade of green used. Even the wonky striping pattern. It all works for me. It is, on the other hand, representative of the organisation's worst years in New Jersey. Ultimately I think the Devils have two great looks, and they can't go wrong with either.

 

Of course none of that fills me with confidence about this redesign. I don't expect them to go with straight throwbacks, or even a tasteful update, of the red and green look. I expect something that tries to "merge" the two colour schemes, and pairs it with an overly cartoony logo. Essentially a muddled mess that leaves no one happy.

 

And that bums me out. I have no real love for the Devils as a team, but I've always appreciated that they took a very "Original Six" approach to their brand. They wanted to emulate their own team and culture on that of the league's most long-lived and historic franchises. So they took a very no-nonsense approach to the uniforms. So many newer teams these days are content to fiddle with their look until it's just ruined. Not the Devils. They've had one major redesign (that wasn't even much of a redesign) and kept things more or less consistent. It's a shame that's going to change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LMU    3,138

If the Kings just add a matching hem stripe to the home and leave everything else alone, I'll be happy.  Bonus points if they keep the thinner name font from the 50th anniversary grays.

 

And before anyone starts with the BOO PENCIL LOGO crap, It's a freaking shield and it has two cups to its name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WSU151    2,548
22 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Jersey Devil was never described as green, but it's consistently described as living in the woods of New Jersey. Which makes the green fitting. It's not green, but its environment is. You also have the "Garden State" nickname, and New Jersey's Italian population to draw on. All of which make green a suitable colour for the Devils to use.

And yeah, green was also used to depict Satan and the demonic in medieval art. So it works on that level as well.

 

I'm really torn when it comes to the Devils' uniforms. The red and black set is great, and features probably my favourite number font in all of hockey. It's also got three Cups associated with it, which isn't nothing. There's something to be said about a team sticking with a look associated with its greatest success.

The red and green, on the other hand, looks better. In my opinion. Not that the red and black set is bad, just that the red and green is that much nicer. I love everything about it. The thick blocks of colour, the exact shade of green used. Even the wonky striping pattern. It all works for me. It is, on the other hand, representative of the organisation's worst years in New Jersey. Ultimately I think the Devils have two great looks, and they can't go wrong with either.

 

Of course none of that fills me with confidence about this redesign. I don't expect them to go with straight throwbacks, or even a tasteful update, of the red and green look. I expect something that tries to "merge" the two colour schemes, and pairs it with an overly cartoony logo. Essentially a muddled mess that leaves no one happy.

 

And that bums me out. I have no real love for the Devils as a team, but I've always appreciated that they took a very "Original Six" approach to their brand. They wanted to emulate their own team and culture on that of the league's most long-lived and historic franchises. So they took a very no-nonsense approach to the uniforms. So many newer teams these days are content to fiddle with their look until it's just ruined. Not the Devils. They've had one major redesign (that wasn't even much of a redesign) and kept things more or less consistent. It's a shame that's going to change.

 

Plus they easily have one of the best logos in the league.  I'm not a big fan of the Devils due to seven games in 2001, but they do have a great logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CreamSoda    1,205
1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

 

Plus they easily have one of the best logos in the league.  I'm not a big fan of the Devils due to seven games in 2001, but they do have a great logo.

 

That was a great series and the Avs won, no reason to hate NJ for that Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iron Lion    3

Oh man, so much news! So excited yet scared. I really hope for a lot of obvious fixes and changes (please fix the Flames and Avs and make the Wild pick a damn template) but already the news isn't good, Oilers shouldn't be orange full-time IMO and leave the Devils alone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LMU said:

If the Kings just add a matching hem stripe to the home and leave everything else alone, I'll be happy.  Bonus points if they keep the thinner name font from the 50th anniversary grays.

 

And before anyone starts with the BOO PENCIL LOGO crap, It's a freaking shield and it has two cups to its name.

i wont say anything about the BOO PENCIL LOGO (bc i dont wanna get a ban...), but tbh, all the Kings need to do is just throw some purple in there. i might be one of the few to actually like the LA logo...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LMU    3,138
2 minutes ago, BostonStrong13 said:

i wont say anything about the BOO PENCIL LOGO (bc i dont wanna get a ban...), but tbh, all the Kings need to do is just throw some purple in there. i might be one of the few to actually like the LA logo...

Honestly, if they were to add a color to the mix the subtle gold that they've added for the anniversary is where I'd lean.  Of course, having Vegas in there kind of throws a wrinkle in that.  The purple is just too synonymous to the God awful goalie merry-go-round era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WSU151    2,548
21 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

 

That was a great series and the Avs won, no reason to hate NJ for that Cup.

 

I don't really like any of the teams the Avs faced in the playoffs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgo    2,163

The Devils current set is the definition of perfection.  The only way I could see it being improved upon is if you swapped all the black areas with their original green.  I don't think they should throw back to the wonky striping of their first identity but their original scheme was a thing of beauty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now