College Football uniforms- 2018

FightingGoldenDevil

1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Thinking out loud:

It would be interesting to read an oral history of how Oregon became the "trendsetters" of uniforms in college football.  Was it Nike's call, Oregon's call, Phil Knight's call?  It would be interesting to hear from each of their perspectives and people in the rooms and what not.  I understand the athletics department rebranded in 1999 with the O logo and tweaked colors, but still, who decided that there was an opportunity with the football uniforms to really flaunt some unique designs.  New logo or not, they could have stuck with simple designs like you see on Akili Smith below.  Who decided, lets go a little wild and stand out?

Not a complete oral history, but an interesting article nonetheless by the lead designer of the 1999 rebrand:

https://www.bakasmedia.com/blog/2014/12/16/how-the-oregon-ducks-brand-was-created

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ducks are breaking in their new yellow/grey game cleats in practice today:

DlnulNiU0AAKjOf?format=jpg

The fans are supposed to wear yellow on Saturday, so it was already suspected that the Ducks would be wearing their new yellow uniforms for the season opener, and this basically confirms that. They’ll likely break in the game helmets during their walk through practice at the end of the week, so I’ll be keeping an eye out for that as well. Since this’ll be the first game with the new set, I’m pretty confident they’ll just go with the all-yellow combo that they showed off with the unveiling of the new uniforms, but it also wouldn’t shock me if they went with either their black or chrome helmets instead of yellow.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Not a complete oral history, but an interesting article nonetheless by the lead designer of the 1999 rebrand:

https://www.bakasmedia.com/blog/2014/12/16/how-the-oregon-ducks-brand-was-created

This is just what I was looking for! Thanks. Definitely an interesting read 

90758391980.gif

51 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

The Ducks are breaking in their new yellow/grey game cleats in practice today:

DlnulNiU0AAKjOf?format=jpg

The fans are supposed to wear yellow on Saturday, so it was already suspected that the Ducks would be wearing their new yellow uniforms for the season opener, and this basically confirms that. They’ll likely break in the game helmets during their walk through practice at the end of the week, so I’ll be keeping an eye out for that as well. Since this’ll be the first game with the new set, I’m pretty confident they’ll just go with the all-yellow combo that they showed off with the unveiling of the new uniforms, but it also wouldn’t shock me if they went with either their black or chrome helmets instead of yellow.

Dumb question, how to you break in a helmet in a walk through practice? I would think you would need some nominal contact to ensure the helmet is game ready and everything is properly adjusted.

6 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Dumb question, how to you break in a helmet in a walk through practice? I would think you would need some nominal contact to ensure the helmet is game ready and everything is properly adjusted.

Breaking-in a helmet doesn't take contact since today's padding takes only a short period of wearing to get it form-fitted to the players' heads.  Also, since players have separate practice helmets to act as guides, equipment managers will typically just set up the game helmets similarly, meaning the main thing needing adjustment will be the chinstraps.

19 minutes ago, guest23 said:

2 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

Breaking-in a helmet doesn't take contact since today's padding takes only a short period of wearing to get it form-fitted to the players' heads.  Also, since players have separate practice helmets to act as guides, equipment managers will typically just set up the game helmets similarly, meaning the main thing needing adjustment will be the chinstraps.

Yep, this is correct. The EQ staff talks to the players and uses their designated practice helmets to get the game helmets prepped with each player’s specifications. Then the players can test the fit during the walk throughs and see if any small adjustments need to be made. They also break them in during the walk throughs to protect the helmets from scuffs and scratches before the games. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 8/26/2018 at 5:54 PM, dont care said:

It might not be cheaper for the manufacturer, but since adidas is pushing the techfit jerseys and creating a higher demand for them the schools pay more for them than they do the older template that Wyoming just switched to.

No they don't.. I'm the head football equipment guy at a school who just purchased tire treads because they were the less expensive option.. I was pushing hard for the traditional type of cut-and-sew mesh jersey, but got overruled when the pricing comparison came back from our rep..

Just found the catalog..

$125 for the tire treads (pre embellishment)

$140 for Wyoming's template (also pre embellishment)

19 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

No they don't.. I'm the head football equipment guy at a school who just purchased tire treads because they were the less expensive option.. I was pushing hard for the traditional type of cut-and-sew mesh jersey, but got overruled when the pricing comparison came back from our rep..

Just found the catalog..

$125 for the tire treads (pre embellishment)

$140 for Wyoming's template (also pre embellishment)

How much for the new a1 template?

10 hours ago, WavePunter said:

No idea.. It's not in the current catalog.. Probably not for sale, since it's only on the programs that receive free unis 

It usually goes to the top teams first for a year then shows up in the catalog the following spring.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

It usually goes to the top teams first for a year then shows up in the catalog the following spring.

yes, that's typically the case, but the TechFit PrimeKnit template was in the catalog the same year it debuted.. the fact that they had the A1 PrimeKnit debut in the All-Star game suggested that it might follow suit and be available in year 1, but that was not the case.... either way, like we're both saying, it's not available to most teams as of now..

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

This is always very strange to me... the helmet bumper logo/wordmark.  Such a small/minor/minute detail and people go crazy over it.  Its also an aspect of the uniform I wouldn't expect multiple options/versions to exist... and who was the first to think to make it 3D?  So many questions...

19 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

This is always very strange to me... the helmet bumper logo/wordmark.  Such a small/minor/minute detail and people go crazy over it.  Its also an aspect of the uniform I wouldn't expect multiple options/versions to exist... and who was the first to think to make it 3D?  So many questions...

I don’t know for sure if they were the first (I would guess so, though), but Oregon started using 3D nose bumpers with their 1999 rebrand:

715532.0.jpg

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 minute ago, poser said:

this is gonna make people mad 

THAT IS AWESOME!!!! I see no prob with putting subtle creative touches on the field. Especially if it matches your team's logo or theme. Now if it was Minnesota and they put a bunch of boat oars around the field, then I'd be mad.

28 minutes ago, poser said:

this is gonna make people mad 

I like it.  There are some teams with INSTANTLY recognizable patterns.  Might be cool to see.

11869989.jpeg

2239e12590938639ec310d969574a0a3.jpg

Bk-SzZMCEAArstl.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived