Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I caught some of the Lakers game and the uniforms are just close enough to the old school unis that you can tell this isnt going for some evocation of the old Lakers unis, it’s not going for hinting at or capturing the essence of the old Lakers unis. It’s trying to be the old Lakers unis, which means the decisions then to make them ever so slightly different come across like mistakes or like they weren’t paying close attention to the details or like they tried to create a throwback based on memory and didn’t use a photo for reference. It’s weird that they’d get them that close and not finish. It’s just different enough that it feels like they’re wearing low grade eBay knockoffs. 

Why go that far and not just get them 100% accurate?

Two jerseys to sell (new and throwback) instead of just one.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I caught some of the Lakers game and the uniforms are just close enough to the old school unis that you can tell this isnt going for some evocation of the old Lakers unis, it’s not going for hinting at or capturing the essence of the old Lakers unis. It’s trying to be the old Lakers unis, which means the decisions then to make them ever so slightly different come across like mistakes or like they weren’t paying close attention to the details or like they tried to create a throwback based on memory and didn’t use a photo for reference. It’s weird that they’d get them that close and not finish. It’s just different enough that it feels like they’re wearing low grade eBay knockoffs. 

Why go that far and not just get them 100% accurate?

The NBA has a rule that you can't go back to a previous logo without change. Maybe this applies to Uniforms too? It's the reason the Hornets changed after getting the old name back in 2014 from New Orleans.

da0Lbhs.png

55 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

The NBA has a rule that you can't go back to a previous logo without change. Maybe this applies to Uniforms too? It's the reason the Hornets changed after getting the old name back in 2014 from New Orleans.

Do you have a credible source for this rule? The 76ers returned to previous marks when they initially brought back the red and blue identity. Likewise, the Jazz brought back the note logo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

36 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Do you have a credible source for this rule? The 76ers returned to previous marks when they initially brought back the red and blue identity. Likewise, the Jazz brought back the note logo.

That's a good point.

We know that there's a rule the primary logos have to include the city name, which is why the Sixers added this to their retro package:

qlpk0etqwelv8artgc7tvqefu.gif

I don't know how much they actually used it in practice, but on paper it was officially the "primary" logo.

Their secondary logo got more play, and that appears to have been a direct lift of the original logo.

13726449%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai77304a_lg.jpeg

Looks pretty faithful to my eye.

gvc4r743h73yoif2hnvzzbir9.png

I saw a bit of the game and wanted to give those black stripes a fair shot, but I just can't. They're terrible. Just terrible.

danny-cruz-terribullt.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I really hope the Lakers just do the right thing and switch the purple uniform to look like an actual Lakers uniform next season. Infact, I think i heard the Statement uniforms across the NBA are changing every two years?

TERRIBLE!! Simply terrible. I really want to know who in the Laker organization signed off on these. On top of that the Purple jerseys always had white numbers. Every...single...era. The Lakers usually make a "Statement" by winning games and championships not by messing up their unis. SMH

Based on those photos, on the players that aren’t wearing stupid purple tights, they really don’t look that bad - it’s just that it’s not the Lakers. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Based on those photos, on the players that aren’t wearing stupid purple tights, they really don’t look that bad - it’s just that it’s not the Lakers. 

Agreed- in a vacuum they really wouldn't be inherently terrible as the old Knicks proved. It's just very odd seeing a team like the Lakers look so...different.

spacer.png

getty-images-1053159706.jpg

Without the identifying marks on the shorts and front of the jersey, I would not have believed this was a Lakers uniform.  It just doesn't have that "feel" of the Lakers purple. The striping down the sides may be the biggest reason. Not even the black, just the yellow/white stripe that goes down the sides and blends into the shorts. It's possible that it is due to the black supplanting what had become the gold stripe on the sides.  But this looks like the uniform of a purple/black team with yellow as a secondary/tertiary color.  It's lacking that Lakers feel.

Archived