Dilbert

Dunkin' Donuts,err wait just Dunkin'

I'm not surprised at all, for the last few years or so all of the advertising states "runs on Dunkin" with no word of Donuts...

They'll bring the donuts part back in 4 or 5 years when they rebrand.  That said, the interim will be one of those silly, "no no no---we're only dunkin, now!  Haha, yes you can still buy donuts.  Ma'am I am the manager.  No I can't explain this, heh.  Please stop asking me about this" type things.

Domino's did it first.

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

They'll bring the donuts part back in 4 or 5 years when they rebrand.  That said, the interim will be one of those silly, "no no no---we're only dunkin, now!  Haha, yes you can still buy donuts.  Ma'am I am the manager.  No I can't explain this, heh.  Please stop asking me about this" type things.

God help those employees.

1 hour ago, GeauxColonels said:

Domino's did it first.

Domino's is a good name for a Pizza take out.

Dunkin' is just silly.

1 hour ago, GeauxColonels said:

Domino's did it first.

Remember “The Hut”?

There goes the surefire way to tell if someone was from outside of New England when they would call it "Dunkin' Donuts."

On 9/25/2018 at 7:05 PM, Gary. said:

Remember “The Hut”?

On 9/26/2018 at 3:20 AM, Brass said:

There goes the surefire way to tell if someone was from outside of New England when they would call it "Dunkin' Donuts."

When I lived in New England “Dunkies” was also used interchangably as well

I must be the only one who doesn't hate it. The full name honestly hasn't aged well, and doughnuts aren't the most marketable product in 2018. Its not like the brand plunges into ambiguity by simply being called "Dunkin." Its a pretty solid balance of pushing the brand forward without betraying its core identity.

2 hours ago, C-Squared said:

I must be the only one who doesn't hate it. The full name honestly hasn't aged well, and doughnuts aren't the most marketable product in 2018. Its not like the brand plunges into ambiguity by simply being called "Dunkin." Its a pretty solid balance of pushing the brand forward without betraying its core identity.

"America runs on Dunkin" is their famous slogan, so it's basically doubling down on people's familiarity with that.

No one whom I hear ever calls Dunkin' Donuts simply "Dunkin' ".  To my ear that usage has a feel that is (if you'll pardon the expression) douchebaggy.  It is sort of like calling McDonald's "Mickey D's" or calling pizza "za".  

But, come to think of it, that is probably the market segment that they are trying to attract.  So in that respect the change can be considered a good move.