One tradition you NEVER want to change

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

The Metrodome was called "Mall Of America Field" for a little bit until it was torn down

Naming rights

In 2009, Mall of America purchased naming rights for the field at Metrodome. The contract stated that the field would be called "Mall of America Field at Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome" for a three-year period, beginning October 5, 2009, and ending February 28, 2012.[93] The name was still used for the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

Despite possible inference from the signage, the MoA name applied only to the field, not the stadium as a whole. The building remained Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome. The connection between Mall of America and the Metrodome is also notable because Mall of America is built on the site of the former Metropolitan Stadium.

I noticed this over the last few years as it seems is a new tradition for the NFL is that during the Lombardi trophy presentation ceremony a hall of famer will walk the trophy up to the stage and enter this sort of gauntlet where the players will touch it on it's way to the stage. I like it and hope it continues on.  

zyyMk1d.png

2 hours ago, clonewars2008 said:

I noticed this over the last few years as it seems is a new tradition for the NFL is that during the Lombardi trophy presentation ceremony a hall of famer will walk the trophy up to the stage and enter this sort of gauntlet where the players will touch it on it's way to the stage. I like it and hope it continues on.  

I actually find the hall-of-farmer running the gauntlet very distracting and think it takes away from the ceremony.

If we’re talking trophy presentations, I like how the NHL presents the Stanley Cup (along with the Campbell Bowl and Prince of Wales Trophy) to the team captain, not the owner, GM, or coach. I hope that never changes. 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

17 hours ago, Mingjai said:

I actually find the hall-of-farmer running the gauntlet very distracting and think it takes away from the ceremony.

If we’re talking trophy presentations, I like how the NHL presents the Stanley Cup (along with the Campbell Bowl and Prince of Wales Trophy) to the team captain, not the owner, GM, or coach. I hope that never changes. 

The NFL rarely gives it to a player first. Always the Owner so this is a nice compromise I guess. 

zyyMk1d.png

On 12/19/2018 at 7:13 AM, pepis21 said:

I hope Chicago Bulls never change their shorts, they're wearing that design since they came up to the league.

I hate alternate their uniform shorts. I'm including the Jordan-era black shorts. Also not fond of the logo on the buckle.

On 12/18/2018 at 2:55 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

International teams in rugby and cricket have advertising on their uniforms.  I have to believe that this plague will eventually come to international football.

I find it difficult to answer the question, because just about every tradition that I would never have wanted to see changed has already been changed.

• no ads on uniforms in the major American sports
  • no colour-vs.-colour games
  • no solid-colour American football uniforms apart from white
  • preservation of socks in baseball

I would have put any one of these things in the category "they'd better not do that"; but they've gone and done every one (though there is a bit of a resurgence in wearing socks in baseball).  Indeed, they're now coming up with bad things that I would never have thought possible: the return of powder blue.

After further pondering, I have come up with one final thing that counts as a most cherished tradition.  I am almost afraid to say it, for fear of jinxing it!  But here goes: there should never be player names on the Yankees' uniforms.

I thought of this almost immediately after seeing the thread.  

Most "traditions" I favor (past or present) are "general" as opposed to team-specific.

• FIRST AND FOREMOST: No ads.
  • NBA: White at home (particularly now that so many teams wear gimmick uniforms that don't match team colors...hey, that's another one)
    • Three uniforms (or two) per team that have the team's actual colors.
  • NHL: White at home.
  • MLB: No NOB on home uniforms / NOB on road uniforms.  It's too late for this one, but I like that a lot of teams carried it past the time it made utilitarian sense.
    • Yankees: No NOB on either uniform.  And go back to eschewing all the mothers day, father's day, kids weekend, etc. junk.
  • College teams should always wear school colors.  And in football, they should have two uniform combinations. 
  • Teams that should always use traditional looks:
    • Yankees, as mentioned
    • Raiders
    • Original 6 (doesn't mean things like the Bruins logo tweak cannot happen, but no big departures...overall they've done pretty well....maybe Lady Liberty is the worst offense?)
    • Notre Dame (no pinstripe looks or other garbage....just the occasional breakout of the green jersey)
    • Celtics and Lakers should not have modern alts.
    • Several others like UCLA and Indiana basketball.
    • Get off my lawn

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 12/27/2018 at 8:34 PM, neo_prankster said:

Talking Stick Resort Arena?

Jobing.com Arena?

T-Mobile Park?

I dunno...maybe some folks will get used to it. Then of course there was 3COM Park, Enron Field and Power Balance Pavilion.

jobing.com Arena is history now and was replaced with Gila River Arena... not amazing but much better

8 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Teams that should always use traditional looks:

• Original 6 (doesn't mean things like the Bruins logo tweak cannot happen, but no big departures...overall they've done pretty well....maybe Lady Liberty is the worst offense?)

Golden Pooh-bears were orders of magnitude worse than Lady Libertys. And the B’s are my Eastern Conference team. At least the Lady Libertys matched the aesthetic of Mike Richter’s classic mask.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

The last couple World Cups the winning captain (or vice captain) from the previous tournament brings the trophy to the field right before the final

2010  South Africa - Fabio Cannavaro (Italy)

2014 Brazil - Carles Puyol (Spain)

2018 Russia - Philip Lamn (Germany)

I LOVE IT

On 12/31/2018 at 10:20 PM, Mingjai said:

Golden Pooh-bears were orders of magnitude worse than Lady Libertys. And the B’s are my Eastern Conference team. At least the Lady Libertys matched the aesthetic of Mike Richter’s classic mask.

I was thinking through each O6 team's history and I totally forgot about those. Yep...those are worse...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 12/24/2018 at 3:24 PM, insert name said:

The Rangers changed their uniforms once during the 70s and suffered huge criticism for it. Fortunately they quickly changed it back and I hope they never make that same mistake forever. I also like that they’re the only team that puts the Stanley Cup patch and other special event patches on their shoulders as oppose to the chest like every other team. 

detroit-red-wings-v-new-york-rangers-e15

I still always associate them with wearing white on home ice, and despite the Broadway Blueshirts thing, think they look more "right" on home ice in white

Also prefer this look for their blue jerseys, with more space between the stripes and the red/white/red collar.sergei-zubov-of-the-new-york-rangers-man

5 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I still always associate them with wearing white on home ice, and despite the Broadway Blueshirts thing, think they look more "right" on home ice in white

Also prefer this look for their blue jerseys, with more space between the stripes and the red/white/red collar.sergei-zubov-of-the-new-york-rangers-man

Agreed. I like that Rangers jersey- the V-neck collar makes a classic looks modern. :)

UBwef0L.png

Archived