Rockets new logo

Phil

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When i first saw teh Bobcats I didnt think it could get much worse, but I was wrong.

I think it lacks depth, originality and character.

I see the H and the R intertwined in what seems to be a Rocket entering orbit (the ring), but it could have been expressed so much better.

Just plain bad.

I think the logo is a viable alternate, perhaps as an adornment on the front of the waistband or at the vertex of the collar, but if it is in fact the primary logo it is very disappointing.  I am not crazy about the font, but then again their last two fonts were nothing special either.

I always think that with the lack of logos on Basketball unis the main thing is what the come up with for the new uni, rather than the logo. However I agree with the idea that this would be a good alternate but would be a mediocre main logo. Just have to wait and see what the unis look like.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

this is so-so.  no uniforms yet, so let's see those rockets!!!  the 'houston' and 'rockets' could make good jersey wordmarks, though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Actually, I think the HR is supposed to resemble a rocket taking off, because of the way the R trails off into the 3 lines. I kinda like it...a rather simple primary logo. I think the logo they used before the current one is better though...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I was just about to post the Chronicle's story about it, but Brenty beat me to the news.

Nevertheless, here it is:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory/1985185

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The new, much-anticipated Houston Rockets logo is here. It's the next BIG Thing.

The first of many new BIG things on the horizon, the Rockets logo is designed to resemble a rocket's nose cone at the top and twin vapor trails at the bottom. The design, created by Academy Award-winning designer Eiko Ishioka, demonstrates the vertical nature of basketball.

UNIFORMS

When we asked for your feedback last fall, we learned that everyone wants the Rockets not just to be champions, but to look like champions. You told us what you liked and didn't like about the Rockets' uniforms, including the colors, the logo, and those controversial pinstripes.

OK, here's my two cents.  I don't hate it.  From the quoted description, both the tails of the "R" are vapor trails??  Yet only the leftmost one has a nosecone??  I think the reporter is a moron.  To me, and this is pretty cool, the second part of the R is kind of like the scaffolding looking thing on the launch pad that holds the rocket up...i forget what its called.

Add into the mix that most of the criticism they undoubtedly received from fans and nonfans everywhere was regarding how crazy and ridiculous their logo/unis were.  It seems a natural reaction to come up with something fairly subdued in response to that and I think it could've been worse.

You know what is the worst though??  Eiko Ishioka justifying what he's done with that "demonstrates the vertical nature of basketball" crap.  Come on!  It's like every press conference is  basic freakin' life drawing critique season.

"Well, I was going for the inner sadness of the vase...which is why it looks like a trash can..........glazed over nodding in unison..."  

Shut up dude.  All the after-the-fact reasoning for something, even it's true and does fit, make them sound completely retarded.  If anything, it mimics the vertical nature of basketball...it doesn't demonstrate it...Yao demonstrates it.

Slightly OT, when was the last time any team graced us with a one color unveiling???  Even if accents were on the way.  I don't remember one.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Dang it.

I always go off on some rant and then top it off with a stupid question.  I've looked closer and clearly there is a black drop shadow on the whole thing....so forget my one color question.  

Everything else, I stand by.....

..........for now.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Is it just me, or does this logo have a kinda "Oriental" look to it?  Perhaps the team wanted a logo that was especially appealing to Asian sensitivities, which would kinda make sense with the presence of Yao Ming.

If this is the case or not, I think it is, well, very odd.

I hope my thoughts are not misconstrued to be racially insensitive in any manner.

I do agree with some of you that this would be a good alternate. As a primary? :P

Hmmm. the "vertical" nature of the basketball.... Now if the rocket is going up, consider the fact that the only time the ball is tossed straight up is during tipoff! :D

Perhaps if they had a basketball in the background to replicate the sun or the moon, for example, then I would be satisfied!

I saw, I came, I left.

Well, this isn't that bad.  It may be someone lacking as a primary logo (and I would question that this is their actual primary logo until I see the Rockets officially unveil it themselves).  But there's nothing wrong with taking a simplistic approach.  Some of the best logos in sports history are fairly basic.  I know it's the trend these days to develop very detailed logos, so because of that, some many be dissapointed with the new design, but the Rockets also deserve credit for taking a different approach.  With that in mind, I'm going to give this a thumbs up for now, but I'll hold off on making any judgments until I see the Rockets officially unveil everything.

Archived