Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

4 hours ago, LMU said:

The Big West is worried about the UC/CSU balance. UCSD's best hope would be to try to get CSUB to jump from the WAC and to submit a joint bid. Numbers wise I think Hawaii complicates things with there already being an odd number of schools.

This is an absolute lie, the BW was more worried about getting at-large bids, which ain't happening these days or ever again. If I were UCSD, I'd call the WAC and ask for an invite.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Nah, I'm willing to hazard that At Large bids haven't been a concern of the Big West's since they dropped football.  CSU/UC balance checks out since CSU Bakersfield got turned down for membership earlier in the decade.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

3 hours ago, buzzcut said:

This is an absolute lie, the BW was more worried about getting at-large bids, which ain't happening these days or ever again. If I were UCSD, I'd call the WAC and ask for an invite.

WAC doesn't fit the school's academic profile.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sdut-ucsd-wants-move-division-i-athletics-2011mar11-htmlstory.html

If the Big West rejects UCSD, Edwards said the Tritons would stay in Division II and wait until the conference landscape changes.

"Unless we get into the Big West, we won’t be able to make the move to Division I," Edwards said.

UCSD officials said the Western Athletic Conference wasn't an option because that league didn't fit its academic profile. They also said the West Coast Conference (home of USD) wouldn't work because its membership consists of private, religious-based schools.

Then in that case, a joint bid with CSUB would be great. CSUB's basketball is probably good enough to sneak an at-large bid every now and then.

Hawaii in the Big West is just odd, but where would you put them? The WAC? I think it'd be cool if the Big West were a California public university-based conference, since there are so many.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

In the case of Hawaii, it's all about distance. Being in the Big West greatly reduces the distance traveled by them during the conference season. Being in the WAC, especially in it's current form, would be bad for the travel budget.

Cal State Bakersfield might jump at the chance at a joint bid with UC San Diego, but I think they're pretty happy in the WAC. Both leagues are one bid leagues, so there's no real reason to jump ship, especially with the WAC at only 8 members and in danger of being one big move away from total destruction.

44 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

In the case of Hawaii, it's all about distance. Being in the Big West greatly reduces the distance traveled by them during the conference season. Being in the WAC, especially in it's current form, would be bad for the travel budget.

Cal State Bakersfield might jump at the chance at a joint bid with UC San Diego, but I think they're pretty happy in the WAC. Both leagues are one bid leagues, so there's no real reason to jump ship, especially with the WAC at only 8 members and in danger of being one big move away from total destruction.

That's why half the league membership WANTS to leave.

• Like 1
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

7 hours ago, rams80 said:

That's why half the league membership WANTS to leave.

Exactly. Look at the membership now:

CSUB - a recently-transitioned from D2

Chicago State - terrible budget and possibly could close entirely

Grand Canyon - for profit university transitioning from D2

UMKC - also-ran in most things

NMSU - basketball and little else

Seattle - came from the Great West and has been D1 for less than a decade

UTRGV - an also-ran

UVU - a recent JUCO that moved up

and now Cal Baptist from D2.

Half of the membership is recent D2 callups. The rest is rejects. I doubt anybody is happy in the WAC.

I do feel for Hawaii, as their distance makes them struggle to maintain a D1 program.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

http://www.wjcl.com/article/breaking-savannah-state-athletics-to-drop-to-division-ii/9269304

According to sources, Savannah State will drop to D2 in Fall 2019.

Weird, but I'm shocked it didn't happen sooner. The HBCU's tend to have big time issues with money (Winston-Salem State is a good example of this). I'm pretty sure the CIAA would easily welcome back an old friend like them in 2019.

51 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Weird, but I'm shocked it didn't happen sooner. The HBCU's tend to have big time issues with money (Winston-Salem State is a good example of this). I'm pretty sure the CIAA would easily welcome back an old friend like them in 2019.

They were never CIAA. They were SIAC with Albany St., Morehouse and the like.

4 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

http://www.wjcl.com/article/breaking-savannah-state-athletics-to-drop-to-division-ii/9269304

According to sources, Savannah State will drop to D2 in Fall 2019.

The fallout of the P5 conferences beginning to outlaw FCS games.

Well, that and Georgia's continued screwing around with its higher ed systems.

Today, we are all otaku.

14 hours ago, Gary. said:

To be fair, Grand Canyon looks like they could jump ship to another conference in the next 10 years 

If not for the for-profit thing I could see them as a WCC team if Gonzaga or BYU bolts.

Or possibly an expansion to 12 if Seattle bails the sinking WAC ship.  Which would actually work out nicely for travel partners.

Gonzaga/Seattle

Portland/BYU

Saint Mary's/San Francisco

Santa Clara/Pacific

Pepperdine/LMU

San Diego/Grand Canyon

VmWIn6B.png

59 minutes ago, LMU said:

If not for the for-profit thing I could see them as a WCC team if Gonzaga or BYU bolts.

Or possibly an expansion to 12 if Seattle bails the sinking WAC ship.  Which would actually work out nicely for travel partners.

Gonzaga/Seattle

Portland/BYU

Saint Mary's/San Francisco

Santa Clara/Pacific

Pepperdine/LMU

San Diego/Grand Canyon

GCU basketball would probably be the 4th- or 5th-best team in the WCC right now. 

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2017 at 9:35 PM, BigZuDaddy said:

According to WTMJ, UW-Milwaukee has started preliminary discussions about a possible move to the Missouri Valley Conference. Article also says that MVC has met with Murray State and has strong interest in adding Valparaiso.    

http://www.wtmj.com/sports/college/report-uwm-could-move-to-missouri-valley-conference

MVC has also visited Omaha, who may jump to the Horizon League if not offered a spot in the MVC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to this report in the Detroit News, the Horizon League is adding a new school for this season. The report does not specify who it us, but I believe rhymes with Brand Wanyon.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.