dfwabel

Division 1 College Conference Realignment

4,891 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, buzzcut said:

According to this report in the Detroit News, the Horizon League is adding a new school for this season. The report does not specify who it us, but I believe rhymes with Brand Wanyon.

Horizon League has schools in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Kentucky, and Illinois.  I don't care how big a travel subsidy check Grand Canyon would promise to write, adding them (without, say, any travel partner at least) would be :censored: ing INSANE.

Also Grand Canyon has that "for profit" thing working against them.

1 hour ago, buzzcut said:

According to this report in the Detroit News, the Horizon League is adding a new school for this season. The report does not specify who it us, but I believe rhymes with Brand Wanyon.

Would someone just take the WAC behind the barn and pull the trigger already?

Grand Canyon? OK, whoever is in charge of the Horizon League is on drugs... being that Detroit is part of the conference, I bet that's where they came from.

Since basketball and baseball are a priority of the new member, someone like IPFW would be a great fit. They fit very easily within the geographic footprint of the Horizon League and gives them a sixth baseball school.

Nah, it's not Grand Canyon. Looks the Horizon League is heading into beautiful Indianapolis. They've invited IUPUI. They're replacing northeast Indiana but not quite Chicago with Indianapolis. Even though this isn't really about TV viewers, it's an upgrade in locale.

11 hours ago, Geoff said:

Nah, it's not Grand Canyon. Looks the Horizon League is heading into beautiful Indianapolis. They've invited IUPUI. They're replacing northeast Indiana but not quite Chicago with Indianapolis. Even though this isn't really about TV viewers, it's an upgrade in locale.

Doesn't make sense. They wanted a baseball school and as far as I know IUPUI doesn't have baseball. They wanted a school with some basketball pedigree and IUPUI doesn't really have that.

53 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Doesn't make sense. They wanted a baseball school and as far as I know IUPUI doesn't have baseball. They wanted a school with some basketball pedigree and IUPUI doesn't really have that.

They have gotten the second largest campus of the IU system, in the major metropolitan area that the league is headquartered in, and while it doesn't have pedigree, it does have enough resources to, say, cover up any holes in their athletic offerings.

Besides, worrying about college baseball in the Great Lakes region is kind of stupid anyway.

IUPUI has 3 days to make this transition?!?!?

2 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Sure... it makes sense in a geographical way. You have all the big cities within the Great Lakes region

2 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

New fiscal Year starts July 1.

The Horizon HQ is in Indianapolis; they were talking for a while. The IU trustees met two weeks ago, so this move was likely made then during Executive Session.

22 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

New fiscal Year starts July 1.

The Horizon HQ is in Indianapolis; they were talking for a while. The IU trustees met two weeks ago, so this move was likely made then during Executive Session.

Even so, how much transition is actually necessary? Conference schedules are done by the conference, OOC shouldn't be affected.

Maybe signage and such, but what else?

57 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

Even so, how much transition is actually necessary? Conference schedules are done by the conference, OOC shouldn't be affected.

Maybe signage and such, but what else?

Budget wise, the application/exit fees and canceled contracts were be set to be paid by Friday. Put every possible expense  with the move on the current year's budget.