2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

Bam.

sox_zpsa4cc693c.png

Yes, bam. :wow:

Why not show the Bills uniforms 3 or 4 other times too, to uhh make your point?

Again, I don't count the little outline on the sock of the Broncos, Lions and Chargers. If you want to count that, then good for you. I don't.

So I'll give you the Bears, Chiefs and Bills who wear striped socks with all of their combos. That's a whopping 3 out of 32.

The Jets, Browns, Pats and Redskins wear them with one of their combos. So, you see them for about half of the season.

For the other 75% of the league, nobody wears striped socks for any of their games.

I ain't real good with math, but those aren't real big numbers.

And literally NOBODY in recent years when re-designing their uniforms (and didn't go with a throwback look like Buffalo did) have gone with striped socks to add to the sexiness and coolness of their threads.

So either everyone else in football and everyone designing uniforms and everyone wearing uniforms is stupid and out-of-touch with current styles or well...you know.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The broncos, chargers, and lions don't wear what I would call striped socks.... And not every team need striped socks.... But damn if those browns and bears socks aren't the most awesome hosiery I've ever seen. I love that look.

25 of the 32 teams in the league aren't wearing striped socks. Is that "an awful lot" in your world?

They aren't going away because a few teams like the Bears and Chiefs won't ever change their uniforms. And that's fine. If that is what they want as a part of their uniform, then that's great. Not all 32 teams have to look the same. Not all 32 teams need 1970's style tube socks either, just because they used to wear them on the old black-and-white TV when I watched football with Pappy and Mammy either or because Steve Grogan looked really good in them at old Sullivan Stadium when Jimmy Carter was the President and Bell Bottoms were hip.

They may come back into fashion at some point. Everything comes back around at some point. But they haven't been in fashion in the NFL in close to 20 years. And very few seem to think that look is coming back any time soon. Just like I don't see many baseball players bringing back the "Bryce Harper-style" stirrups either anytime soon. Or the knee-high Michael Cooper-style high socks and short shorts in basketball. Them days are over.

An awful lot of teams are wearing sock stripes, a uniform item which you crusade as being the ultimate sign of outdated uniforms. At a certain point you're going to have to accept that these things aren't going away because it's far more likely that they return to fashion. What're you going to say when they do come back into style since you're the arbiter of what is and isn't cool? Will you accept them then

Yes, bam. :wow:

Why not show the Bills uniforms 3 or 4 other times too, to uhh make your point?

Again, I don't count the little outline on the sock of the Broncos, Lions and Chargers. If you want to count that, then good for you. I don't.

So I'll give you the Bears, Chiefs and Bills who wear striped socks with all of their combos. That's a whopping 3 out of 32.

The Jets, Browns, Pats and Redskins wear them with one of their combos. So, you see them for about half of the season.

For the other 75% of the league, nobody wears striped socks for any of their games.

I ain't real good with math, but those aren't real big numbers.

And literally NOBODY in recent years when re-designing their uniforms (and didn't go with a throwback look like Buffalo did) have gone with striped socks to add to the sexiness and coolness of their threads.

So either everyone else in football and everyone designing uniforms and everyone wearing uniforms is stupid and out-of-touch with current styles or well...you know.

The Browns actually wear their white jerseys for 3/4 of the season. And There are so many things that nobody even thinks of thats done in less than 25% of the league. only 5 teams wear gray facemasks, yet if a team unveils a new uniform with a gray facemask, no one thinks its out of the norm.

also, i ran across this photo online. it looks like there were supposed to be nameplates, and that the helmet could of been much worse than it really was

jacksonville_jaguars_uniform_2013_04.jpg

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

Yeah, that "military-style" front nameplate was rumored before the launch. As bad as the Jags look, at least some worse ideas got rejected.

Also, FACT: No team in the NFL wears stripes on their socks because they are stupid and ugly and unpopular. The Broncos wear bands on their socks. The Bills socks' feature ribbons. The Bears have accoutrements.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

MERRIAM-WEBBSTER, on-line dictionary

Stripe, noun

a : a line or long narrow section differing in color or texture from parts adjoining

b (1) : a textile design consisting of lines or bands against a plain background (2) : a fabric with a striped design

: a narrow strip of braid or embroidery usually in the shape of a bar, arc, or chevron that is worn (as on the sleeve of a military uniform) to indicate rank or length of service

So... stripes;

stripes_zpsa9c35ed7.png

Those are not stripes. The Broncos' socks have always been at war with Eastasia.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

also, i ran across this photo online. it looks like there were supposed to be nameplates, and that the helmet could of been much worse than it really was

jacksonville_jaguars_uniform_2013_04.jpg

Could of? You mean could have?

Given that this was in the real early stages, it likely seems that they were just seeing what can work. Obviously the badge got changed a little and the sleeves have been changed too. They are still using the old logo so could be very early in the process of the rebrand.

Go A's!

Are we still having a discussion about what a damn stripe is, if it looks like a stripe, its a mother :censored:in stripe, those are clearly :censored:ing stripes on a damn sock, whether you want to think its not is your problem, would people call the chiefs cuff stripes not stripes because they are on the cuff, hell no, and thats the way you should view these stripes on the chargers, broncos, and lions. Ill let you have your own opinion on whether stripes look good or not, or whether they are coming back, but there are somethings that are so obvious that its ridiculous we are having a damn argument about

I love that gold nameplate.

I'd like it better if the letters were solid yellow...from a distance, the lighter blue blends in with the yellow and it comes across as green. This goes with my point in the "little things that bug you" topic. Since the Chargers' numbers have double outlines, the lettering works better as one solid color.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Are we still having a discussion about what a damn stripe is, if it looks like a stripe, its a mother :censored:in stripe, those are clearly :censored:ing stripes on a damn sock, whether you want to think its not is your problem, would people call the chiefs cuff stripes not stripes because they are on the cuff, hell no, and thats the way you should view these stripes on the chargers, broncos, and lions. Ill let you have your own opinion on whether stripes look good or not, or whether they are coming back, but there are somethings that are so obvious that its ridiculous we are having a damn argument about

Relevant xkcd:

duty_calls.png

qvAvG.jpg

If you haven't seen the Chargers, here's a look. Differences; stripe on the bottom of the sock, half collar gone, and gold nameplate.

tempSEAvsSD_080813__286--nfl_mezz_1280_1

Definitely an upgrade, but I think a dark helmet would work better with the dark jerseys. I think the white helmet looks good with the powder blues. The additional gold in the current uniform improves the look.

These would be perfect if they lost the blue pant stripe. Pant bolt treatment should match the helmet and it would balance perfectly (look at the shoulder bolt treatment).

If you haven't seen the Chargers, here's a look. Differences; stripe on the bottom of the sock, half collar gone, and gold nameplate.

Definitely an upgrade, but I think a dark helmet would work better with the dark jerseys. I think the white helmet looks good with the powder blues. The additional gold in the current uniform improves the look.

These would be perfect if they lost the blue pant stripe and fixed the bolts to go up and around like they used to. Pant bolt treatment should match the helmet and it would balance perfectly (look at the shoulder bolt treatment).

FYP. I despise the bolts around the sleeves. These look so much better. In fact this set in whatever shade of blue (my choice would be the original Pacific Blue) would be just about perfect.

chargers_zpsfcc2294d.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

These would be perfect if they lost the blue pant stripe and fixed the bolts to go up and around like they used to. Pant bolt treatment should match the helmet and it would balance perfectly (look at the shoulder bolt treatment).

FYP. I despise the bolts around the sleeves. These look so much better. In fact this set in whatever shade of blue (my choice would be the original Pacific Blue) would be just about perfect.

chargers_zpsfcc2294d.jpg

I have always felt there is not enough blue in the pants on the throwback & threw off the color balance

Also the gray face mask has gotta go because it does the same!

These would be perfect if they lost the blue pant stripe. Pant bolt treatment should match the helmet and it would balance perfectly (look at the shoulder bolt treatment).

Well, that would be a good start. I actually like the "shaped" bolt on the pants, but you're right... the thick outlining stripe adds nothing and throws off the continuity with the helmet. Personally, I think they also need a whole new solution for the shoulder bolts. These never looked right and the old version no longer works for the same reason the Colts and Jets look so bad. If I were in charge of the Chargers I'd throw the problem to Nike and tell them we need a brand new idea... a way to incorporate the shoulder bolts that fits better on this jersey cut. Plus, I'm sure Nike could design a better font than this. And if it were me, I'd drop the navy all together... just go with athletic gold and a slightly darker version of their current light blue.

Well, that would be a good start. I actually like the "shaped" bolt on the pants, but you're right... the thick outlining stripe adds nothing and throws off the continuity with the helmet. Personally, I think they also need a whole new solution for the shoulder bolts. These never looked right and the old version no longer works for the same reason the Colts and Jets look so bad. If I were in charge of the Chargers I'd throw the problem to Nike and tell them we need a brand new idea... a way to incorporate the shoulder bolts that fits better on this jersey cut. Plus, I'm sure Nike could design a better font than this. And if it were me, I'd drop the navy all together... just go with athletic gold and a slightly darker version of their current light blue.

I'd like to see a nike interpretation of the chargers as well. Additionally they could utilize the lsu template to bring back the over the shoulder stripes as the original chargers jersey was designed that way...they just swapped a 3 stripe insert and put an with a solid one that had a symetrical bolt printed on it.

Archived