Toronto Raptors to get an overhaul? Maybe name change as well?

toostyling

toronto-titans.pngPerhaps the Toronto Titans? Brutal name, but that is a pretty slick logo.

Hope they're prepared for the inevitable law suit from the Tennessee Titans.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't surprise me. With the exception of a couple of the Vince Carter years, the franchise has pretty much been irrelevant since it's inception. Might as well do a total re-brand and forget the Raptors ever existed.

A team's success on the court shouldn't have anything to do with justifying a rebranding effort.

Wait, wait, am I the only one that likes the black jersey with the middle red stripe and the double-headed raptor?

It's very Jurassic Park.

And the one that looks like Hawaii on the front, that one has a very festive feel to it, no?

Makes me think of Alien

I hate the name "Toronto Towers," but then again I hated the name "Washington Monuments" when that was floated around during the last Wizards rebrand. Names like that just seem to gimmicky. And yes, I know the Raptors got their name because the ownership group at the time wanted to piggyback off Jurassic Park's success. "Toronto Towers" is, in my opinion, more gimmicky then "Raptors."

Toronto Huskies FTW...an ORIGINAL NBA team, with HERITAGE.

I'm not to high on the name "Huskies." I mean what heritage do the original Huskies have? One terrible season where they only existed to fill dates at Maple Leaf Gardens. Not exactly a long, storied legacy. The coolest thing about the Huskies' history is that they hosted the first ever NBA game against the Knicks in Toronto. I'm not sure that's enough of a legacy to warrant a rebrand.

That being said, I really like this logo.

TorontoHuskies_zpsf2dfc494.png

The uniform paired with it is seven kinds of crap but the logo's nice and it doesn't look too Timberwolves-y.

Wouldn't surprise me. With the exception of a couple of the Vince Carter years, the franchise has pretty much been irrelevant since it's inception. Might as well do a total re-brand and forget the Raptors ever existed.

A team's success on the court shouldn't have anything to do with justifying a rebranding effort.

I guess what I was getting at is I don't think the Raptors identity would be missed very much should they decide to do a complete re-brand.

I hate the name "Toronto Towers," but then again I hated the name "Washington Monuments" when that was floated around during the last Wizards rebrand. Names like that just seem to gimmicky. And yes, I know the Raptors got their name because the ownership group at the time wanted to piggyback off Jurassic Park's success. "Toronto Towers" is, in my opinion, more gimmicky then "Raptors."

Sorry, off topic but IMHO the Bullets might just be the best name for a team ever.

And it's completely appropriate for the area.

OK, back to Toronto talk.

I'm not to high on the name "Huskies." I mean what heritage do the original Huskies have? One terrible season where they only existed to fill dates at Maple Leaf Gardens. Not exactly a long, storied legacy. The coolest thing about the Huskies' history is that they hosted the first ever NBA game against the Knicks in Toronto. I'm not sure that's enough of a legacy to warrant a rebrand.

The uniform paired with it is seven kinds of crap but the logo's nice and it doesn't look too Timberwolves-y.

That's what I'd worry about if the Huskies came back...an identity looking too similar to the T-Wolves.

Well neither the 'fashion designer' nor the Toronto player whoever that was had a clue what they were talking about. "THEY MADE IT LIKE JURASSIC PARKS LOL SO FUNY not appropriate but its funny!!" And Towers just doesn't work smoothly.

Every single redesigned Raptor set in there was horrible. The birth-defect 2 headed Raptor logo in particular that the doofus NBA player ranted about in the video.

Doofus NBA player: "I think it looks really masculine with the T, you know, what else of course for Toronto, coming down the middle and two Raptors its a really strong design whoever did it is the best designer evar!!!" Sounded like a kindergarten show and tell session.

The current set is better than any of the ones they put up. Crowdsourcing is a terrible idea. Hire a pro. Huskies I think may be the way to go. Although not with the logos in that set.

I know the obvious reason was for the popularity of Jurassic Park, but I've always thought that the name was also in reference to the wealth of paleontology and thousands of prehistorical expeditions that have taken place throughout the country, especially since many of the most well-known dinosaurs have been discovered in Canada...although more so in Alberta. And if we're getting super technical, there haven't actually been many if any raptors discovered in Canada...although the T-Rex was discovered there.

Perhaps the Toronto Tyrants?

GR30a5H.png

I completely disagree. The Huskies logo looks way too "timberwolves-y". All of those concepts are terrible, if we're really going to be honest with ourselves here. Im all for a Huskies name but make a concept without a basketball in the back, please. For some reason if its a logo for a basketball team, we have to throw a basketball behind it. Sometimes it's not necessary. Just make a fierce F****** Husky with no basketball behind it! Maybe try a maple leaf if you have to stick it in front of something since it's "Canada's team" (you're welcome developers)

I still don't see what was so wrong with purple and red.

So whar if purple was the color du jour of the '90s...the team was BORN in the '90s, and plus, there's something to be said for uniqueness...claiming a color scheme not used by any other major pro team before or since. I also don't see the problem with the name "Raptors", either.

Here's a novel idea, though: how about they focus a little more on putting a quality product on the floor and a little less on changing clothes for right now? Might just be me, though.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Raptors is a terrible identity. It's not Bobcats bad but it's up there.

I don't care for Huskies either. Maybe instead of animals go with something more abstract, something in the vein of Celtics or Knicks or Lakers. Something relevant to Canada as a whole or their specific region. Go with a clean, minimalist red and white color scheme (no black) I think you have something.

You don't have to kill the name. Birds of prey are known as raptors. Pick a Canadian bird i.e. the great horned owl and rebrand the image.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_of_prey

Archived