Major League Soccer unveils new logo

Gothamite

Something I just realized about that mockup; that's the jersey's left sleeve. Right now, the league logo is only on the right:

Does that mean they might (finally) be moving away from the flags?

I'm guessing they'll be on both sleeves now, because - as with everything else concerning American soccer - that's how the Europeans do it!

Looks like you're right...

10686808_10152471570539613_8804685050150

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First glance, I didn't like it.

Once I saw the versions to match the teams colours....I liked it a lot.

I don't like the flags being taken off the sleeves. It's funny, when it was first introduced I thought it sucked but now I've grown to like it.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Something I just realized about that mockup; that's the jersey's left sleeve. Right now, the league logo is only on the right:

I'm guessing they'll be on both sleeves now, because - as with everything else concerning American soccer - that's how the Europeans do it!

This pic shows me that if I was an MLS franchise, I'd want to if at all possible get away from a shield logo ASAP. I know that's out of the question for a lot of the teams in terms of loss of iconic branding, but seeing 4 shields displayed so prominently and in the same colors comes off to me as overkill

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

This pic shows me that if I was an MLS franchise, I'd want to if at all possible get away from a shield logo ASAP. I know that's out of the question for a lot of the teams in terms of loss of iconic branding, but seeing 4 shields displayed so prominently and in the same colors comes off to me as overload

Yeah seeing this screenshot now, you bring up a really good point.

Also, that mock up with the soccer ball in the white space looks too much like one of those generic crests they use for create a team on FIFA. No thanks. I'll take the blank space. Really only because I can't think of anything to put in there. Maybe if they moved the stars over there. Along the border or something.

On a side note, I think I have a nickname for this new logo. A friend of mine pointed out that it looks like a deformed leaf it you look at the "tail" as a stem. It's the mutant leaf branding for the Mutant Leaf Series :P

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

This pic shows me that if I was an MLS franchise, I'd want to if at all possible get away from a shield logo ASAP. I know that's out of the question for a lot of the teams in terms of loss of iconic branding, but seeing 4 shields displayed so prominently and in the same colors comes off to me as overload

Yeah seeing this screenshot now, you bring up a really good point.

Also, that mock up with the soccer ball in the white space looks too much like one of those generic crests they use for create a team on FIFA. No thanks. I'll take the blank space. Really only because I can't think of anything to put in there. Maybe if they moved the stars over there. Along the border or something.

On a side note, I think I have a nickname for this new logo. A friend of mine pointed out that it looks like a deformed leaf it you look at the "tail" as a stem. It's the mutant leaf branding for the Mutant Leaf Series :P

I thought it looked more like a kickstand :/

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I don't think there's anything wrong with including a soccer ball in the logo -- MLB, NBA and NFL do it, as do most top-flight leagues around the world. It seems natural to me. But other than that absence and the weird tail thing, it's not bad. The club customization aspect is great, especially if club crest elements can be used in the blank space.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

That logo looks so... Generic. Nothing about it says "Hey, we are a soccer league." All the great identity they had with the old logo will be gone.

Remember that this first and foremost is meant to work with every team's existing brand. Because of that it needs to be simple and understated so as not to compete.

As for not a "soccer league" there is a very subtle Champion's League soccer ball implied by the stars.

mlsball.jpg

TuxCx6p.jpg

Can one of you make a quick mock up with the 2nd half aka right empty half having watermarked/indicated hexagonal patterns (soccer ball and goal nets)

Would work with all colors, being a soccer thing without a ball/player silhouette

That logo looks so... Generic. Nothing about it says "Hey, we are a soccer league." All the great identity they had with the old logo will be gone.

Remember that this first and foremost is meant to work with every team's existing brand. Because of that it needs to be simple and understated so as not to compete.

As for not a "soccer league" there is a very subtle Champion's League soccer ball implied by the stars.

mlsball.jpg

Except one of the stars is upside down, and the MLS does not compete in the champions league.

In my opinion, despite all of the painfully-strained marketing-speak trotted out to in an effort to imbue Major League Soccer's new logo with substance, the mark is so minimalist as to be rendered meaningless.

Further, I'm no fan of the importance given to providing each club with "a version of the league crest [that] better reflects their clubs identity and local market" by rendering the new league mark in the colors that the clubs and their fans associate with and support. Reflecting the identities of the individual clubs and the local markets they play in is the purpose of the logo packages of each individual club. Frankly, I'm of the mind that the league crest should stand out on each club's uniform, not blend in. After all, the foremost goal of the league crest should be to serve as the league's primary visual identifier... a reminder of just what entity the individual clubs are members of. It strikes me that too much effort went into designing a league mark that could more easily be reduced to serving as little more than a secondary mark for individual clubs.

The "ball and cleat" logo may not have been Major League Soccer's long-term answer as a visual brand identity, but this mark doesn't strike me as an improvement. To my mind, it's more a secondary, or tertiary logo for each team than it is a strong primary mark for the league itself.

In my opinion, despite all of the painfully-strained marketing-speak trotted out to in an effort to imbue Major League Soccer's new logo with substance, the mark is so minimalist as to be rendered meaningless.

Further, I'm no fan of the importance given to providing each club with "a version of the league crest [that] better reflects their clubs identity and local market" by rendering the new league mark in the colors that the clubs and their fans associate with and support. Reflecting the identities of the individual clubs and the local markets they play in is the purpose of the logo packages of each individual club. Frankly, I'm of the mind that the league crest should stand out on each club's uniform, not blend in. After all, the foremost goal of the league crest should be to serve as the league's primary visual identifier... a reminder of just what entity the individual clubs are members of. It strikes me that too much effort went into designing a league mark that could more easily be reduced to serving as little more than a secondary mark for individual clubs.

The "ball and cleat" logo may not have been Major League Soccer's long-term answer as a visual brand identity, but this mark doesn't strike me as an improvement. To my mind, it's more a secondary, or tertiary logo for each team than it is a strong primary mark for the league itself.

I'm feeling in agreement with that bolded part more and more. At first, the logo as customized for each team seemed cool, especially because it looks so much better in the various team colors than in the gradients and shades used for the main MLS one, but as I see it on these teams with their own logo already on there, it seems redundant and confusing and definitely does not stand out on its own as league-specific branding

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Doesn't look so out of place now.

5ZtHIGT.png

'cept for the Hockey League.

But then again, they've always been the one "out of place".

Are you kidding? They share the upward slash for progress.

I suppose my other issue with this is this looks like something somebody in Eastern Europe would use and my stance on using anything thought up in Eastern Europe with regards to soccer is simple: Don't.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I suppose my other issue with this is this looks like something somebody in Eastern Europe would use and my stance on using anything thought up in Eastern Europe with regards to soccer is simple: Don't.

:blink:

You want to explain that, Cowboy? :P

OK, more specifically this looks like it would show up on the flag of an Eastern European country.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

TuxCx6p.jpg

Can one of you make a quick mock up with the 2nd half aka right empty half having watermarked/indicated hexagonal patterns (soccer ball and goal nets)

Would work with all colors, being a soccer thing without a ball/player silhouette

This looks awful and so incomplete.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

I get it. Clean and simple equals more modern, and I usually agree with that philosophy, but I really think they could have just cleaned up the foot-kicking-the-ball logo. It had more distinct character than this. I liked the old color scheme better as well. But as all things do, this will grow on people in time.

Archived