Major League Soccer unveils new logo

Gothamite

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be fine with that Americanized version if there weren't any Canadian teams. I do believe that something needs to be put in the bottom half of the actual logo, but I'm not too sure what. I'm glad they recolor it for each team, though.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Doesn't look so out of place now.

5ZtHIGT.png

'cept for the Hockey League.

But then again, they've always been the one "out of place".

Are you kidding? They share the upward slash for progress.

I suppose my other issue with this is this looks like something somebody in Eastern Europe would use and my stance on using anything thought up in Eastern Europe with regards to soccer is simple: Don't.

... my response for the NHL's logo being "out of place" was based on the color. They never used red white and blue.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Shouldn't the logo (at least the 'main' one) seem a little more American?

Edited below:

35natxz.jpg

Three teams play in Canada.
Then stick a maple leaf in between two of the red stripes. That's a sharp little improvement (other than keeping the slash going through the shield; someone's gonna put an eye out with that)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Shouldn't the logo (at least the 'main' one) seem a little more American?

Edited below:

35natxz.jpg

Three teams play in Canada.

Yup, that would upset me....

This crest with USA instead of MLS would be a great one for the national team though!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Sorry, but I'm still not of the mind that anything is "fixed" by converting what is supposed to be Major League Soccer's primary visual branding element into what amounts to a collection of secondary marks for the league's individual member-clubs.

In my opinion a league's logo is meant to visually represent and promote the league in a straightforward, well-designed, visually-appealing way. If one is forced to incorporate visual elements from one or more of the league's individual member-clubs into the league mark in order to render it complete, I think the overall design of the league mark is a failure.

Sorry, but I'm still not of the mind that anything is "fixed" by converting what is supposed to be Major League Soccer's primary visual branding element into what amounts to a collection of secondary marks for the league's individual member-clubs.

In my opinion a league's logo is meant to visually represent and promote the league in a straightforward, well-designed, visually-appealing way. If one is forced to incorporate visual elements from one or more of the league's individual member-clubs into the league mark in order to render it complete, I think the overall design of the league mark is a failure.

I'm with Brian on this. I actually don't care for the Reddit logos from that article. I prefer the recolored versions of the primary as-is.

gYH2mW9.png

I'm with Brian on this. I actually don't care for the Reddit logos from that article. I prefer the recolored versions of the primary as-is.

I think people like the reddit ones because they address what appears to be the main problem: there is a ridiculous amount of empty space in the logo. Half to be exact. And white of all colors, is what they chose to fill it with. It looks like they haven't figured out what to put in there. Which makes it look so bland. Even if the whole thing was stroked a little heavier it would look bolder and not as weak and there'd be less empty space.

My initial reaction was feeling a bit disappointed, but after seeing a lot of fan concepts and hearing more from the league, I think I like it now.

The open space makes the logo incredibly versatile. I think the team color logos are just a start. As we've seen on places like Reddit, there is tremendous opportunity for creativity and adaptability is ways that none of the other major league logos have. It's a logo that is tailor made for the digital age. The default league logo with the huge white space may not even be seen all that often in the future. There's a wide variety of ways that space can be utilized depending on the product it's being used on. I can see TV networks and league promotions doing different things with that space based on the context of what is being promoted.

I also think this fan participation is what the league intended. Already there's been far more exposure for this logo than we ever saw with the previous one, and it's because of the fact that it allows for people to do different things with it. And it achieves that without ever losing sight of the fact that it's the MLS logo. That part of the logo will always be the focus. The blank space is open for fan and media interpretation.

Also, first post.

Hmm. The white space bothers me as well, but when it's another color I rather like the balance of the shield.

NewMLSlogo_team%2Bversions.jpg

This image came to mind when I read that prosoccertalk/reddit post. They sort of set it up this way already if these are intended to be team avatars. The team logos overlap without disrupting anything in the MLS.*

They aren't inside, but used in a similar way.

*provided that "travel in and out of the MLS world" can still be done with a logo obstruction.

Archived