The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

You said rape twice.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So there are a few teams that are significantly over the salary cap as of right now... are there normally this many teams? I'm interested to see what happens, as some of the teams have to shed pretty large amounts of money.

Philly - $4.9M over

Boston - $3.6M over

Chicago - $2.2M over

Tampa Bay - $1.9M over

Philly can't put Pronger on LTIR until after the season starts, so they still need to be under the cap with his salary before opening night.

Pronger's still on the roster? Man, what a cliff he fell off of.

He had post concussion symptoms and he got hit in the eye so he stopped playing. He didn't fall off a cliff.

He's still on the roster because they still have to pay his salary until 2016-2017, but he's not going to play professional hockey again. It's the same thing as the Bruins paying Marc Savard 4 million dollars a year until the end of the 16-17 season even though Matt Cooke ended his career in the spring of 2010.

PvO6ZWJ.png

“If we wanted to slap up some soulless, ugly condominiums, we could do that very, very quickly,” Baird said.

This man has just been summoned to Chicago.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Until this announcement I always assumed the Senators had 5 captains all time. Someone at the beginning, Yashin, Alfie, Spezza and now Karlson. Turns out they had 4 in the first two seasons though. Rather crazy!

untitled-6.jpg

There's no way Bobby Ryan serves the length of that contract in Ottawa. I was wholly convinced he wasn't going to sign and leave after this year. So color me surprised on that one.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

For those interested, the NHL will be holding a Stadium Series Press Conference at Levi's Stadium today at 3pm/PT. Local channel: CSN California. All my Xfinity guide says is NHL Commissioner and other dignitaries will discuss the outdoor game.

According to Brodie Brazil, there's a possibility stadium series sweaters/jerseys could be revealed. Oh, and those other dignitaries, at least on the Sharks/49ers side:

- John Tortora (Sharks COO)

- Doug Wilson (Sharks GM)

- Jed York (49ers CEO)

- Jamie L. Matthews (Santa Clara Mayor)

- Chuck Reed (San Jose Mayor)

For those not in the market for CSN California, NHL Network and nhl.com and the Sharks will stream the press conference on their website.

Edit: Ok, so here's the nhl.com post

Holy :censored: , are two things that never change in Ottawa going to change?

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/hockey-arena-an-option-for-lebreton-flats-says-ncc-chief

Judging from people's comments, there'd be a huge spike in attendance to like it was 4/5 years ago.

Lebreton is the perfect spot for the Sens' arena, and is where they should have been from the inception. Ownership was fairly shortsighted and fell into the '80s trend of buying cheap land in the suburbs to build their arena on, despite the lack of public transit and a highway not built to handle the immense traffic that goes along with professional sporting events. With the much needed light-rail system being put in place, having a station being put in at Lebreton, and nearby Bayview station being the hub of the two rail lines, the location is even more perfect now than it was 20 years ago. With that being said, I think this is a bit of a pipe dream. The organization has put a ton of money into renovating and improving the CTC, and the arena itself should be a capable facility for at least another 10 years. There's also the issue of who would be paying for this downtown arena. With an owner who is constantly crying poor the onus would likely be on local taxpayers, something that definitely would not go over well in a fickle government town that is more interested in museums or expensive pieces of abstract art. Having spent almost my entire life within a 10 minute drive of the CTC, it has definitely contributed to the growth of this area of the city, and if the team were to move to a more central facility a lot of the local businesses/restaurants would be hurt. Senators Sports and Entertainment will likely keep making improvements so that they can milk as much life out of it as possible.

As for today's announcements, I might've preferred to wait a year before naming Karlsson captain, but he's the obvious choice. Ryan probably doesn't deserve to be making more than EK, but Karlsson is grossly underpaid and Ryan would've surely gotten that on the open market. At least they were able to get it done before the season started, thus avoiding a year-long distraction.

Pronger's still on the roster? Man, what a cliff he fell off of.

He had post concussion symptoms and he got hit in the eye so he stopped playing. He didn't fall off a cliff.

He's still on the roster because they still have to pay his salary until 2016-2017, but he's not going to play professional hockey again. It's the same thing as the Bruins paying Marc Savard 4 million dollars a year until the end of the 16-17 season even though Matt Cooke ended his career in the spring of 2010.

Matt Cooke DID NOT end his career. Matt Hunwick did

1zgyd8w.jpg

Don't have to worry about the Blackhawks making a Cup run this year, folks. Kings have got a nice, clear path now.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived