This is October: 2014 MLB Postseason Thread

AnythingChicago

But Kershaw started TWO games... never mind. Agree to disagree. The better team should be able to win a series of any length. They do it all year. One-and-done I agree is tough, but that's for the wild card in MLB and *helps* the division winner.

Okay, I'll stop. Agree to disagree. Respect you guys' opinions all the same. Have the last word. I'll hang up and listen.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So..... anyone still cheering for a NL team now?

The majority of us are rooting for two asteroids to hit San Francisco and St. Louis, so that the ALCS winner becomes the de-facto World Series champion.

I could live with that.

Ditto. I'd rather have the Yankees than either NL team left.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I think some of it simply comes from the weird stuff they pulled in 2012, winning all six elimination games they faced and then sweeping Detroit like dirt in the World Series, as well as the more broad point about them and their even year madness. 2010, 2012, now 2014 following the same trend? Yuck, if it does.

I don't have a huge reason to root against them, on the surface. My reason to root against them is self-narrative driven. I feel like all three of these Giants teams are perfect examples that a "playoff-built" lineup does not exist. The 2010 team won because Cody Ross caught fire and they were buoyed by ex-Rays players. The 2012 team had, hmm, was it Angel Pagan and Marco Scutaro hammering everything in sight? Obviously Panda and the three HR World Series game as well. In any case, those were mediocre lineups, but lineups that hit good form at a good time. This stuff is cyclical in baseball and I wish more people realized this before beginning their "glass jaw" narratives and stuff.

Nonetheless, that's peanuts compared to the St. Louis Cardinals, so rooting for the Giants will have to suffice.

spacer.png

I don't mind the Giants. Outside of being successful, what's the problem with them?

There really is no problem now that they've washed off as much of the Bonds stink as possible, but then you probably liked Bonds because you thought he threatened white America.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Does anyone else think the wild card game should be a 3 game series instead?

No because that puts too much time off for the division champions; it can be a disadvantage to rest too long.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

For the record I am begrudgingly pulling for the Giants for reasons three: 1. St. Louis, 2. Yadier Molina, 3. Bucfan,

I don't get the same morally superior high horse feeling from Giants fans as I do St. Louis. They're the lesser of two evils.

When it gets to the World Series, though, this lifelong National League guy will be pulling for the AL for a fourth straight year.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So..... anyone still cheering for a NL team now?

The majority of us are rooting for two asteroids to hit San Francisco and St. Louis, so that the ALCS winner becomes the de-facto World Series champion.

I could live with that.

How about no? It's too bad you have to live with one of them winning the NLCS.

Last year, for me the Cardinals were easier to stomach making the NLCS.

1. They were the best team in the NL. Basically, they and Atlanta were dueling all summer for the best record.

2. You had the 'Carlos Beltran- can he finally make the WS?' storyline. You don't have that this there. Hell, hasn't everybody on this team made the WS?

This year, it felt like they were playing possum until October. They weren't exactly chasing the Brewers like wildfire all through the summer.

Last year, they were a terrific scoring team. This year, they BARELY drove in enough runs until October.

I don't mind the Giants. Outside of being successful, what's the problem with them?

There really is no problem now that they've washed off as much of the Bonds stink as possible, but then you probably liked Bonds because you thought he threatened white America.

I did like Bonds. I didn't find him especially threatening though.

I wish Albert Belle had Bonds' success. That would have been right up my wheelhouse.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Last year, for me the Cardinals were easier to stomach making the NLCS.

1. They were the best team in the NL. Basically, they and Atlanta were dueling all summer for the best record.

2. You had the 'Carlos Beltran- can he finally make the WS?' storyline. You don't have that this there. Hell, hasn't everybody on this team made the WS?

This year, it felt like they were playing possum until October. They weren't exactly chasing the Brewers like wildfire all through the summer.

Last year, they were a terrific scoring team. This year, they BARELY drove in enough runs until October.

Ummm... no. Kolten Wong, Pat Neshek, Peter Bourjos, Randal Grichuk, Oscar Taverez, and Marco Gonzalez. Not including players on the 40 man roster who haven't. Plus many players who haven't with the Cardinals like Jhonny Peralta, A.J. Perzynski, Mark Ellis, and John Lackey.

I will say that there was no way we could live up to the way we hit with runners on base compared to last year, and yeah it's been pretty crazy how our bats have come alive this October. I have a feeling that may come to an end against San Fran, but like every year it seems, you never know in the playoffs.

I mean I wont say that we were chasing the Brewers like wildfire all year, and we certainly benefited from their complete collapse at the end of the year, but we did stay within enough distance. Enough for their inevitable collapse, because we all knew it had to happen sometime in the season. They couldn't stay so consistent throughout the year. A lot like the A's.

Here's a good question: If the A's had won the west and the Angels had played the Royals in the wild card game would we still see the Royals in the ALCS? All speculative of course, but an interesting question. The Royals would have been playing a team like themselves who had been fighting for the division the whole second half of the season instead of a team on their heals.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

For the record I am begrudgingly pulling for the Giants for reasons three: 1. St. Louis, 2. Yadier Molina, 3. Bucfan,

I don't get the same morally superior high horse feeling from Giants fans as I do St. Louis. They're the lesser of two evils.

When it gets to the World Series, though, this lifelong National League guy will be pulling for the AL for a fourth straight year.

I'm with you.

The ::insert National League team here:: trying to solidify their dynasty claims by winning their third WS in less than a decade vs. the ::insert American League team here:: trying to win their first WS in almost/over thirty years. No matter how you slice it, it has the makings of a good series

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I'm with you.

The ::insert National League team here:: trying to solidify their dynasty claims by winning their third WS in less than a decade vs. the ::insert American League team here:: trying to win their first WS in almost/over thirty years. No matter how you slice it, it has the makings of a good series

That is an interesting storyline but I'll be crushed if the NL wins regardless of who gets there.

I honestly am indifferent as to who wins the NLCS. I've seen 'em both there before and it just does not matter to me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

:( Calamity and woe. The DC sports curse continues. This is where I bid the MLB playoffs and this thread adieu. Enjoy the rest of October fellas! My full sports attention has now shifted to the Redskins *sighs*

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived